Corsair Community

H115I: Why are Whenever fan speeds set based off CPU temp instead of water temp?

SPL Tech

Whenever I load up a game the fans on my 115 start up and increase to maximum speed immediately even though the water temp has not yet changed much. As soon as I close the game the fans turn off. I am using the zero RPM setting for the fans. This tells me the fans are using the CPU temp sensor instead of the water temp sensor to base the fan profile on. The question is why? AIO units are supposed to base fans on water temp sensors, not CPU sensors. The fact that I cannot even set a custom fan profile with values higher than 60C tells me that this is well know.

The "zero RPM mode" has a coolant temperature threshold at which is will no longer keep the fans at zero. It's fairly easy cross it with sustained load. When the fans first activate and leave zero mode, they usually do a full 12v power on and then settle down to whatever the default secondary mode is for the those circumstances -- probably either the "balanced" or "extreme" fan curve. Once you stop the load and the coolant drops back below the trigger, it they should go back to zero.

I don't do a lot of testing with this and don't favor zero rpm modes generally. However, if you really wish to keep them at zero for longer, you may have better results with a custom curve with a zero baseline to X temp and then a smoother turn on to a fan level you are comfortable with. 40C may be the max you can do on that model before if forces the fans back on. I suspect the preset "zero mode" was intended for light desktop work and not meant to be the permanent 24/7 fan setting.

The "zero RPM mode" has a coolant temperature threshold at which is will no longer keep the fans at zero. It's fairly easy cross it with sustained load. When the fans first activate and leave zero mode, they usually do a full 12v power on and then settle down to whatever the default secondary mode is for the those circumstances -- probably either the "balanced" or "extreme" fan curve. Once you stop the load and the coolant drops back below the trigger, it they should go back to zero.

I don't do a lot of testing with this and don't favor zero rpm modes generally. However, if you really wish to keep them at zero for longer, you may have better results with a custom curve with a zero baseline to X temp and then a smoother turn on to a fan level you are comfortable with. 40C may be the max you can do on that model before if forces the fans back on. I suspect the preset "zero mode" was intended for light desktop work and not meant to be the permanent 24/7 fan setting.

It seems like the custom fan curve wont allow for a 0% mode. The lowest setting on the slider is 20% which is annoying. We should have complete and full control to manipulate the settings in any manner we see fit.

It’s been a few years since this came up, but I think that’s right. The H115i (H110i GTX) coolers won’t do 0%. Similar circumstances. You need a Commander Pro to bypass the AIO’s controller. It will do the 0%. Absent that, keeping minimum 20% at the start instead of zero mode should prevent the hard fan start and subsequent more aggressive fan profile. A low 20% baseline seems like it should be quiet enough and without taking such a heavy coolant penalty as with 0 rpm + load and hitting the safety mark pretty fast.