Corsair Community

Which RAM to go for?

Kasuka3497

Hey guys!

So this is my planned build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fg9RRk

It's missing the Commander Pro and RAM.

I am confused about the RAM.

I am going to use this system for mostly gaming, watching anime and movies, doing college tasks and video editing for YouTube.

I have 3 options...

4×8GB sticks of Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 @CL18

https://www.industech.pk/memory/desktop-ddr4-dimm/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-32gb-4-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3600mhz-c18-memory-kit-%E2%80%94-black

2×16GB sticks of Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 @CL16

https://www.industech.pk/memory/desktop-ddr4-dimm/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-%E2%80%94-black

2×16GB sticks of Dominator Platinum RGB 3200@CL16

https://www.industech.pk/memory/desktop-ddr4-dimm/corsair-dominator-platinum-rgb-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit

Which one should I choose?

Personally, I would go for your 4 x 8GB option, and I'd pick that for 2 reasons:

1) You *might* find that 8G sticks will overclock a bit more readily than 16G sticks. I've seen general motherhood statements advising to stick with smaller sticks if you want to get aggressive in OCing because you *can* have more headroom. Having said that though, you are quite likely to hear from folks who have OCed 16G sticks easily.

2) Leaving yourself 2 free slots, to maybe go back and fill in later, might lead to problems when you want to do that if you can't find exactly the same sticks to drop in at that point. The general rule of thumb is try to keep all your sticks the same, especially if OCing so it might be a false economy to leave 2 free slots if you plan to populate them later on.

Just my thinking - I have no idea what "the right answer" is !!!

Personally, I would go for your 4 x 8GB option, and I'd pick that for 2 reasons:

1) You *might* find that 8G sticks will overclock a bit more readily than 16G sticks. I've seen general motherhood statements advising to stick with smaller sticks if you want to get aggressive in OCing because you *can* have more headroom. Having said that though, you are quite likely to hear from folks who have OCed 16G sticks easily.

2) Leaving yourself 2 free slots, to maybe go back and fill in later, might lead to problems when you want to do that if you can't find exactly the same sticks to drop in at that point. The general rule of thumb is try to keep all your sticks the same, especially if OCing so it might be a false economy to leave 2 free slots if you plan to populate them later on.

Just my thinking - I have no idea what "the right answer" is !!!

Hmm.... That makes sense!

Also, I should prefer 3600MHz?

Oh yeah - I conveniently missed that your 4 x 8G option was 3600 and the others were 3200 - my bad !!!

That's another variable. For me, I'd prefer 3600. That's what I want for my Ryzen build. But realistically, when all is said and done, unless you are seriously striving for that elusive extra frame rate or two, then 3200 vs 3600 probably isn't going to make much difference.

In the market today, I'd have a strong preference for what's actually available and what's reasonably priced.

Oh yeah - I conveniently missed that your 4 x 8G option was 3600 and the others were 3200 - my bad !!!

That's another variable. For me, I'd prefer 3600. That's what I want for my Ryzen build. But realistically, when all is said and done, unless you are seriously striving for that elusive extra frame rate or two, then 3200 vs 3600 probably isn't going to make much difference.

In the market today, I'd have a strong preference for what's actually available and what's reasonably priced.

I will go for 3600MHz then.... Since both of these are priced equally for me!

That's nice of you to say, but I just think its more about having a discussion about what may and may not work. There is seldom any cut and dried final answer, its about what is the best solution for each person according to their needs - and open discussion is the best way to flush out those issues :-)

Goodness knows my build plan changes every day - I've totally lost track of what my original intent was - lol !!

Love that last sentence, let the market dictate what you buy.

3200 vs 3600, as mentioned not much difference. Including the price.

I found myself going for 3600.

Love that last sentence, let the market dictate what you buy.

I probably should add to that - "within reason" !!!

I prefer not to be totally driven by the market, rather a certain amount of common sense should prevail. For example I *really* want a 3950X, but not so badly that I'm going to fork out the extra $300 the market suddenly thinks I should. So I am tempering what I want with what makes sense - 3900X will realistically do me. I'd love those extra 4 cores, but seriously doubt I will ever notice that they aren't there !!

At the end of the day just do what makes sense for you. There's always that next build just around the corner :-)

• Like 1