Corsair Community

H100i RGB Platinum outer LED's causing major temp changes

tayguerr

Simply put, activating the outer LED ring on my h100i platinum rbg decreases the temp reading by 1-2 degrees. This can have a varying effect depending on the effect used, with static effects causing the biggest change. I first noticed this due to iCUE game integration switching back to my default profile, which is comparatively minimal, resulting in my fan speeds ramping up.

Here are two images comparing temps between the outer ring both activated and deactivated:

Active: 86591459_Annotation2020-04-15094655.thumb.jpg.b3a067aa0fcc64c86a9b2459aee9eadb.jpg

Inactive: 2054462028_Annotation2020-04-15094819.thumb.jpg.89ca2e27d8fa19fa53d746401b8599c2.jpg

The workaround I've been using is by keeping a static effect in use on my default profile, thereby minimizing the discrepancy between other profiles. However this isn't ideal.

I also tried contacting corsair support, and they simply told me to reinstall the software, which didn't do any good. If anyone else with this cooler could test this, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Still hoping someone with this cooler can test for this issue. Corsair support has been responsive and so far suggested reinstalling the software and now to RMA the product, but I'd rather avoid that if it's possible, especially if it isn't a hardware problem.

Simply put, activating the outer LED ring on my h100i platinum rbg decreases the temp reading by 1-2 degrees. This can have a varying effect depending on the effect used, with static effects causing the biggest change. I first noticed this due to iCUE game integration switching back to my default profile, which is comparatively minimal, resulting in my fan speeds ramping up.

Here are two images comparing temps between the outer ring both activated and deactivated:

Active: [ATTACH]37889[/ATTACH]

Inactive: [ATTACH]37890[/ATTACH]

The workaround I've been using is by keeping a static effect in use on my default profile, thereby minimizing the discrepancy between other profiles. However this isn't ideal.

I also tried contacting corsair support, and they simply told me to reinstall the software, which didn't do any good. If anyone else with this cooler could test this, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Interesting... I'm gonna test with my H150i, I'm keeping the RGB on static effect since I installed it.

Would be interesting to test if it's a effective increase of temperature or just a misreading (meaning the internal sensor feels hotter ma actually the CPU does not warm up), but I guess it's not an easy home work.

Baio

Still hoping someone with this cooler can test for this issue. Corsair support has been responsive and so far suggested reinstalling the software and now to RMA the product, but I'd rather avoid that if it's possible, especially if it isn't a hardware problem.

I'm afraid this is old news. If you search a bit you will find other Platinum users asking the same questions from a year or so ago. It appears to limited to that model and it is a physical problem. Some units are heavily affected others are not. The coolant temp isn't really changing, but it doesn't matter because the fans think it is creating an irritation. I would take the RMA.

Thanks. It took some digging, but I found a pretty good thread that details a similar issue.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185943&page=1

It looks like some users are having much worse issues. It's also some peace of mind in knowing that there's likely nothing wrong with the temperatures. Considering this is pretty easily controllable, I think I will just live with it rather than having to deal with the RMA process. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
I took the RMA and the "new" unit exhibits the exact same behavior. I am happy however, that the pump noise is gone (which is the primary reason I RMA'd the unit). I think it's probably more widespread, it's just not very noticeable as users likely aren't cycling their LED's on and off frequently. Oh well, I can easily live with it.

I have one other work-around for you or anyone else with this issue and a Commander Pro.

The radiator exhaust temp has a direct relationship with the coolant temp passing through the radiator. If you take one of the thermistor sensors from the Commander and run it to the exhaust side of the radiator, the value will mirror the true coolant temp. The exception of course is it won't care what the LEDs do. This would bypass the internal temp sensor issue.

I don't have a Platinum to verify, but you might be able to change the 'sensor' value in the Platinum tab to Commander Pro Temp #1-4 directly. If not, you certainly can if you move the radiator fans to the Commander. The temp sensor value may not equal the coolant temp exactly, but it will have a consistent offset (like -2C). You won't have to make any major adjustments to the curves.