Corsair Community

Corsair Fan Compatibility

BreakBubbles

Hello everybody,

This is my first post and I hope this is the right place to post this. I have recently purchased a Corsair Crystal 570X, and I would like to upgrade the cooling in my system. I have the default fans at the front of the case, and I would like to purchase a H150i to make a push/pull system by using those fans in collaboration with the case fans. Is this possible? I would also like to mount two HD140 fans on the top of the case, and I'm looking at an LL120 or QL120 for the exhaust at the back of the case, to make it look a bit more appealing. I believe I need to purchase a Commander Pro to make them all work together. Is it a good idea to use that combination of fans, or is it going to be difficult? If I use an LL120 or QL120, am I going to have to buy an additional Lighting Node PRO just for that one fan? Thanks in advance.

The good news - You're in absolutely the right place for this post - there are some seriously knowledgeable folks here who will set you straight. I'm not one of those, but here's my thoughts anyway :-)

You have a mix of fans in play there with what you are thinking about, and there are some "suggestions" about what types of fans you can mix in order to get the best results. For consistency, I would try to stick to fans of a similar type. A rule often mentioned here is you *shouldn't* mix fans as the different models have different numbers and layouts of LEDs and this *can* give you inconsistent effects. Especially if you want to enjoy the "chaining" effects that iCue can give you where the fan colours move nicely from one fan to the next, that gets problematic to do when you mix fan types.

For example, the QL fan that you mentioned, is the new kid on the block and has 34 LEDs and is capable of way more sophisticated patterns than any of the other fans. So mixing a QL on the same LED channel as ML, or LL is going to give you a mixed result - from a lighting point of view anyway, and will almost certainly disappoint and frustrate you.

I have a couple of ML fans in my current build and I love them. They aren't terribly sophisticated from a lighting point of view, but they are close to silent and give a really nice subtle lighting effect - that works for me. You may want something different!

Your SP fans (which I *believe* are the ones that came with your case, but I don't have that case so I don't actually know), are Static Pressure fans and will be very good when paired with a radiator.

FWIW the H150i cooler doesn't seem to be listed as a compatible cooler for that case. Not sure why though, but I guarantee you someone else here does and will be by shortly !

If you are after a consistent lighting pattern that is easy to manage then I highly recommend sourcing a Commander Pro. It will work with the LN Pro you already have. Out of the box the CoPro will power 6 fans, but with judicious use of splitter cables you can add to that, but don't go over the top as there is a limit. Separately powered fan hubs are what folks use who need to power lots of fans (waves at @Zotty)

Just my 2c, but you have some thinking to do I believe :-)

I have read that although not listed as being compatible, the H150i works fine in the case, considering the case supports 360mm fans across the front. I'd like to hear this confirmed first, but I am fairly sure that is the case. I have heard the HD140 fans would be best for the top as they provide the best airflow and would be great for exhausting the air in my case. I have heard that the QL isn't a very efficient fan compared to the others, so I'm not quite sure if it would be worth getting those instead. If not, should I just get two HD140 fans at the top, and an HD120 fan at the back for exhaust? Also would it be possible, or necessary to mount a 120mm fan at the bottom of the case?

The H150 does fit in that case. Zotty did that.

If mounting the H150 in the front, consider the top as intake and the rear only as exhaust.

As for the fans ... get which ones you like. The differences, in real world uses, are usually marginal.

I don't see why the H150 wouldn't work in the case, it can allegedly support a 360mm rad so in theory it should work, but hopefully you'll hear from someone with that case who can be more definitive.

I wouldn't think that a 120mm on the bottom of the case would be necessary, but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. I have a 500D SE case which seems to be a similarly shaped chassis and I looked at putting a fan on the top of the PSU shroud blowing up towards the top, but decided against it after putting my mobo in because the fan would have covered the row of connectors that I have along the bottom edge of my mobo. Also, in my case I am going to have my GPU card mounted vertically also on top of the PSU shroud and I wanted to leave room to run my tubing and the PCIEx extension cable, but you have AIO so don't have that restriction.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! Just a 120mm on the rear is sufficient for exhaust? After getting my 9900KS, I noticed that I wasn't prepared for the heat it gives off, due to my lack of computer knowledge. This is my first time really interacting with a desktop, because I got a prebuilt a while back, and my brother always helped me with stuff. I noticed that I get around 90 celsius when playing some intense games and when rendering on blender, I hit 100 celsius before deciding that I needed better cooling. If I were to get two 140mm's on top as intake, H150i on front with push/pull and a 120mm on rear as exhaust, that would be good enough? If I wanted the two 140mm and the 1 120mm to be QL fans, which controllers would I need to make it work? Thanks so much for the help, I hope I'm not too much of a bother.

Yeah, the 9900K is a hot little chip. Often it's due to some aggressive over-volting in the BIOS for better "performance". Unfortunately, each BIOS is a little different but having a readout of your vCore (vCPU in iCUE) with the temperature can give us an idea if this is the case.

And yes, a single exhaust is enough. While an ideal system has a balance between the two, if you can't balance (for whatever reason), then you want to have positive pressure (more intake than exhaust). Provided that your intake is filtered, this also provides for a cleaner case - dust won't get sucked in around the cracks and crevices. In your case, having the input at the top provides additional cooler air specifically for the GPU and helps offset the heat from the radiator in the case. And you will want to run the exhaust a bit faster than the intake.

Alright, this is incredibly helpful. I can look into my BIOS if necessary, but I currently have a rather weak cooling system, and my only case fans are the ones that came with the case, so I know that I just have inadequate cooling. I would like to purchase the QL fans for top and rear, however, if I wanted to replace the fans on my radiator, does it matter which ones I use or would you recommend a specific type? I'd just like to make sure I have all the controllers I need to allow them to work properly.

The ML fans are, hands down, the best performing radiator fans. They are also very quiet.

The white LL Special Edition fans have the most air flow and static pressure - due to their higher speed. But the ML fans have an overall better profile, especially at low speeds. At equal speeds, the MLs would be better.

The regular LL and HD fans are OK - HD is slightly better.

The QLs are the worst of the lot, from a performance perspective. But also the prettiest.

So ... there are performance differences, yes ... but, in real world usage, that won't mean a heck of a lot, typically. You may have slightly higher fan speeds to get the cooling that you need but it's not a major factor. There are quite a few folks that have used QL fans on their radiators with great success.

So ... base your choice more on your budget and what's more important to you - the looks or performance. Personally, I've used all of them in various iterations of my various builds.

Okay. I have decided to purchase the H150i, 2 QL140's for the top, 1 QL120 for exhaust, and then I'll use the radiator fans and the case fans for push/pull. The 2 QL140's come with a lighting node core, which I believe I can use for all 3 of the QL fans. I believe I need a commander pro, so I am also going to order this. Does everything seem to be compatible?

Fantastic. Do I leave the case fans connected to the controller already there, or would I not need that one anymore? Does each fan on the cooler need to be plugged in, or are they all connected? Thank you so much for the help, both of you have been incredibly helpful, and I appreciate it so much.