Corsair Community

H100i V2.. pump turning 0 rpm only when gaming...

saldiecloud09

Does anyone have this problem? or getting 0 rpm pump while gaming a normal thing? i already disable q-fan on bios and use LINK to control the fans and pump. When the pump turns 0 rpm on LINK my frame rate drops and start lagging. When i exit the game and the cpu starts to cool down it takes a while for the pump to reach a normal rpm. Please help guys.

specs:

gtx 970

i5 4th gen

asus motherboard

corsair 650 psu

If you are using AI Suite (Fan Xpert) make sure it is not overriding the BIOS settings for the header supplying power to the pump. If it read 0 rpm all the time, it would be dead (very obvious) or possibly a break in the tachometer wire. However, the sporadic nature of what it is doing seems more like a fan control setting. Also watch out for the ErP power saving measures in the BIOS as it can override your settings too.

What speed does the pump show when it is "running normally"?

I don't use AI suite.

I didn't touch the ErP either.

Pump rpm on Quite is 2040 and the Performance mode is 3060, but when i started to play a game and the H100i V2 temperature is starting to go up, usually 70 degrees Celsius, the pump rpm is starting to go down until it gets to 0.

OK, this is strange and a bit concerning. Your RPM settings for the two pumps speeds are spot on, so it is getting the 12v (at least part of the time). It seems like you have done all the right things and if ErP and AI Suite are out, that leaves a hardware problem on the pump end.

When it starts doing that, the pump is zero flow and that is a clear indicator with coolant temp climb. I would contact Support through the Ticket Support link in the header above to get things moving toward a replacement.

Thanks for the Info I really appreciate it. I thought is was my power supply not being enough since i only have 650W and i play triple A games which getting a very high power usage. This problem didn't happen before switching Windows 10 and it took months for this problem to appear when i switch to windows 10.

The entire unit would only use a handful of watts ~5-10W. If the PSU was cutting power to the motherboard in this way, I would expect it to instantly crash the system and be a global problem for everything - fans slow, lights dim, etc. There have been a few strange cases like this for the SATA powered units when there is a problem with power, but since the H100i v2 gets its power from the MB, I can't see how this would happen. It is a little strange if it only happens when the system is under load. If the pump is failing, I would expect it to very sporadic with increasing frequency.

To be thorough, I suppose you could try moving the connector to a different MB header. That will require you also set that header to 100% and if nothing is on CPU_FAN, you will need to disable the safety feature that prevents boot when empty. You can find that in the Advanced BIOS, Monitor tab. Find the CPU fan "RPM reading" and click on it. Change to "ignore".

I tried another game and the problem is the same almost instantly the pump's rpm falls to 0 goes back up and down again until i quit the game and after a few minutes will turn to normal, but i notice that my fan#2 is doing the same. Could it be my MB is the problem?

That would be one reason to switch it to a different header and see if the results are the same. As for it being a "motherboard problem", there isn't enough evidence to say. If it is a MB power issue, all other headers should be affected and I would also expect some stability problems. If it is just the CPU fan header, then that may be revealed after moving it.

The odd part about this is the delay between when you quit the load and the pump resumes. The header is set to provide 12v at all the times -- plenty to restart the pump if it stops. So if the power to the unit is being blocked or circumvented somehow, then it really should resume when that condition stops. That delay is very puzzling. In fact, the entire thing is very puzzling.

**(try this first before moving the cooler's connector). Another potential way to test things is to run a CPU only stress test. Use something light like Intel XTU or better still is the flat load "Bench test" from CPU-Z. It's mild and will give you plenty of time to stop the test if the pump shuts down. Your CPU will use considerably less power than the 970, so this might be a way to separate a MB problem vs PSU. The CPU will only draw 90-110W or so while leaving the 200-250W of the GPU out it. If the power issue is on the MB, this will still trigger problems. The PSU would have to be complete wreck to crash at 150W and if that were really the issue, I would expect hard shutdowns and similar types of reactions compared to this very strange one.

Hi i have a similar problem with my H100i V2.

On mine if the PC is left idling for a while or drops to standby it will go to the same conditions as yours.

iCUE shows H100i fan speed 0, pump speed can be changed from quiet to extreme but i cannot get the fans to change their speed. The mother board shows them spinning at 700rpm ish and they are but obviousally this is not enough to stop the processor temps climbing rapidly. I have warnings set in iCUE to help with this (change all leds to white and spin all fans max) but this is never picked up. This had never happened when using corsair link so its definately an iCUE fault and if I go back through and revert to link there are no problems.

Hi i have a similar problem with my H100i V2.

On mine if the PC is left idling for a while or drops to standby it will go to the same conditions as yours.

iCUE shows H100i fan speed 0, pump speed can be changed from quiet to extreme but i cannot get the fans to change their speed. The mother board shows them spinning at 700rpm ish and they are but obviousally this is not enough to stop the processor temps climbing rapidly. I have warnings set in iCUE to help with this (change all leds to white and spin all fans max) but this is never picked up. This had never happened when using corsair link so its definately an iCUE fault and if I go back through and revert to link there are no problems.

This doesn't really sound like the same issue. Are the fan connected to the pump's controller or are they connected to the motherboard?

Through the pump controller. I have switched headers to see if that helped but the h100i still lost control of the fans. I have also experienced the dropout whilst playing ETS2. I tried all fan headers but it happens on them all. I should have added more info to say I had more to add. Its definately something between the H100i and iCUE as when icue space is running sometimes it will glitch flash and not all will be showing again, usualy the h100i.

Through the pump controller. I have switched headers to see if that helped but the h100i still lost control of the fans. I have also experienced the dropout whilst playing ETS2. I tried all fan headers but it happens on them all. I should have added more info to say I had more to add. Its definately something between the H100i and iCUE as when icue space is running sometimes it will glitch flash and not all will be showing again, usualy the h100i.

That sounds very much like you don't have the constant 12V being supplied to the cooler. This is super-critically-important. You need to set whatever fan header the pump is connected to to supply the full 12V at all times. Motherboards will "detect" the H100i V2 as a DC-based fan and automatically alter voltage to "control" fan speed. You need to manually override this behavior.