Corsair Community

PSU Cable Compatibility Clarification

ksquared

In trying to decide about the Corsair power supply, the Cable Compatibility table is an excellent help, as at some point I might upgrade to a more efficient Corsair power supply.

I understand that there are Type 3 cables, and Type 4 cables, and the 24-pin Type 4 is an upgrade over the Type 3 cables with the four sensing wires and the little capacitors for the lines. The other Type 4 cables also have the same little capacitors added to them, so that aspect is clear.

However, there is one detail I don't understand.

The Compatibility Table of course shows either a Type 3 or a Type 4 24-pin cable, because they are different. But the Table also lists both Type 3 and Type 4 cables for many of the power supplies. But only either a Type 3 or a Type 4 comes with a power supply, otherwise there would be so many more cables.

So is there a specific time where anything manufactured after a certain date will have the Type 4 cables, and if so when is that date?

As two non-essential questions, 1) Can you connect a Type 4 24-pin cable to a "Type 3" older power supply? and 2) Why don't the AX-i and the HX-i supplies use the newer Type 4 24-pin cable?

Thank you for your help.

Type 3 cables are fine for 99% of needs. The type 4 have capacitors in a bid to reduce line noise but that is excessive. I use type-3 across the board.

I have an HX1000i right now and I am looking to get more power supplies.

As two non-essential questions, 1) Can you connect a Type 4 24-pin cable to a "Type 3" older power supply?

No, you can't. They Type 4 cables have the extra sensing wires that aren't present on the Type 3. Note that this only applies to the 24-pin ATX cable, AFAIK.

2) Why don't the AX-i and the HX-i supplies use the newer Type 4 24-pin cable?

Thank you for your help.

While I can't say this definitively, I think it's because the AX-i and HX-i came out before the RMx, even though they are higher end PSUs.