Corsair Community

CMX512 of different vintage in MSI K8TNEO-FSR

BillMilosz

I have two CMX512 of different vintage in MSI K8TNEO-FSR / Athlon64 3200+.

SLOT1 CMX512-3200XLPT XMS3208 V1.12 2225

SLOT2 <empty>

SLOT3 CMX512-3200LL XMS3205 v1.2 2326

Have I put these in the correct slots for best performance? :wtfeh: What timings should I use? FYI I can select DDR400 / CAS2.0 and it runs OK, even overclocked to 2100.

I would not suggest running them in dual channel but the timings should be set to Cass 2-3-3-6 at 2.7 Volts. You would be better off with 2 modules that are exactly matched.

If I understand the term correctly, Dual Channel Memory is a feature of Athlon FX CPUs, whereas I am using an Athlon64 socket 754 which doesn't support dual channel memory....

So you are saying, don't run these modules together in a dual channel config but since that's not an option with the Atlhon64 3200+ ... I don't know what you're trying to tell me.

>>timings should be set to Cass 2-3-3-6 at 2.7 Volts<< This part, even I can understand. ;-)

If the system will post then just set the timings and frequency manually and you should be fine.

Yes it posts fine. RAM performance on Sisoft Sandra matches other Athlon 64/3200s. System is stable on Win XP.

With 1024 MB I didn't see much (any?) improvement in performance (games, DVD editing, etc) over 512 MB RAM, though. I'd been told that there would be some performance gains with an increase to 1024 MB, but I haven't seen them.

• Corsair Employees
The memory performance will not change from a hardware point of view, so running a bench mark will not show any difference. However, running 512 Meg verses 1.0 Gig in WinXP will allow the system to open programs quicker and allow you to have more things open with slowing the system down. But the difference is subtle and would be hard to detect with having 2 systems running side by side.

Archived