Corsair Community

naughty module

Hi, I'm pretty sure I've got a bad module. It worked fine at first. But after a while, the system became more and more unstable. Crashing, rebooting, etc. Just intensive games at first, then the simple games, and eventually even Windows itself. Once I noticed instability with Windows totally unloaded and idle, I started looking at hardware. Fortunately this module is one of two in my system. When I removed this module, everything started working again.

edit:

Oops. You probably want to know (any) details. It's a ValueSelect VS256MB333. Lot# 0440004-0. Sticker on the back of the box says 20-145-406(387400) and OBZSAM0200000G0. System is a Shuttle SG41 aka FX41 with Athlon 2000XP+ running XPpro. The other (good) module is a CMX256A-2700C2.

• Corsair Employees
Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not fialing, and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well as set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 as well. If you do find the module is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not fialing, and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well as set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 as well. If you do find the module is failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Settings were already 2.7V, 2.5-3-3-6. (Precharge to active doesn't have an option for 7T, only 5 or 6. Could that possibly cause this?)

Downloaded MemTest and got it to work. The test freezes at random tests due to a bug, even with the known-good stick. According to the MemTest forum, the program has a bug that causes it to freeze unless you disable USB Legacy support in the BIOS settings. Unfortunately I don't have any such setting in my BIOS. The only USB settings I can find disable the mouse or other needed ports. In summary, MemTest is inconclusive.

The system is very stable with one stick installed, and very unstable with the other stick installed. Is that conclusive enough to simply ask for the RMA?

Archived