Corsair Community

RMA request XMS3205v1.1 twinx

Hi,

I've been getting BSOD and reboots for a month or so now. The ram has been functioning 100% for over 6months previous to when the problems started.

Here are my specs:

Abit IC7 (latest bios)

2800 (running stock settings, 200mhz bus)

512 ram (2x256) (Running stock settings, 2.5,6,2,2,)

(CMX256A-3200LLPT, XMS3205v1.1, 0318029, 2226-T1)

After I started having problems, I tried the sticks in another system (MSI K8N Neo4 Plat SLI) and had the same reboot problems. The mem I have in that system, didnt cause any problems (in the IC7).

After reading some posts here, I've done the following:

Run memtest in pair, and with each module alone

Bumped the voltage to 2.7

Changed the stock timings to 2.5, 6,3,3

I had failings in memtest (pairs, and single, usually test 5 and 6) with stock settings, and when I changed to 2.5,6,3,3 I didn't have a fail after running memtest for about 2 hours. But, I'm still having reboots, with the same BSOD (flashes quickly before reboot, so I can't catch much of what it says) screen appearing.

I've also tried the sticks in both 1&3 and 2&4 slots with same results.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on rma.

Thanks for the help, I recieved the memory last week.

A couple questions/problems I'm having:

1. I received modules with 2.3.2.6 (XMS3205v1.2 0324135-0, CMX256A 3200LLPT) But I sent in ram with 2.2.2.6 timings. Is this normal? Or should I have received memory with the same timings back?

2. My big problem. I can't get these to work with any stability in my systems, (The above and a new build MSI K8N Neo4 Plat SLI (latest bios), XXX 520 P.S., 3500+ (everything stock), dual 6600gt's.)

I've tried each system, bumping v. to 2.7, and timings as loose as I can, different ratios...

I have a set of 3500 256's that I can put into either system, and run at 100% stability, but with these new sticks each system still crashes. This usually happens with games, as the system will run fine for internet surfing. The crashes got so bad, that my main system windows dir became corrupted to the point I couldn't boot any more. I reinstalled XP on a new HD with replacement ram, and am still getting reboots.

OK, so any more suggestions for me?

BTW I've been careful about ESD issues, so I wasn't holding these while playing tag barefoot on the carpet with my child ( I save vid cards for that, bigger sparks..:)

• Corsair Employees

1. I received modules with 2.3.2.6 (XMS3205v1.2 0324135-0, CMX256A 3200LLPT) But I sent in ram with 2.2.2.6 timings. Is this normal? Or should I have received memory with the same timings back?

A: XMS3200LL specification was chnaged shortly after their release to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3", so no I am sorry there would be no way to get a new module with the old spec. Some MB's just would not run reliably with the Rass to Cass set to "2", sorry!

2. My big problem. I can't get these to work with any stability in my systems, (The above and a new build MSI K8N Neo4 Plat SLI (latest bios), XXX 520 P.S., 3500+ (everything stock), dual 6600gt's.)

I've tried each system, bumping v. to 2.7, and timings as loose as I can, different ratios...

I have a set of 3500 256's that I can put into either system, and run at 100% stability, but with these new sticks each system still crashes. This usually happens with games, as the system will run fine for internet surfing. The crashes got so bad, that my main system windows dir became corrupted to the point I couldn't boot any more. I reinstalled XP on a new HD with replacement ram, and am still getting reboots.

A: Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

If you do find one of the modules failing please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please let Customer Service know this is a second RMA! But if you get errors with both modules that might suggest some other problem.

Archived