Corsair Community

P4P800-E & memory

rebel

I'm putting together 2 systems using the following, an Asus P4P800-E, Intel P4, 3.2GHz, 800MHz, 512 L2-Cache, XP-SP1, and this value mem kit-VS1GBKIT400. I'm having boot up problems on both. Is there any special settings to use for this memory? Is it a compatibility problem? Thanks.

Well, if it's not a compatibility problem (Ramguy will tell you if it is, and it usualy isn't) then it's a setting issue. Please post your BIOS setting related to memory : Maybe someone with a similar board as yours will spot something wrong...

Here is more information on the systems.

INTEL- P4 3.2GHz, 800MHz, 512 L2-Cache

ASUS - P4P800-E Deluxe, bios 1004

CORSAIR - VS1GBKIT400

VIDEO - ATI 9600 (the other system has as ATI 9800 PRO

PS - ANTEC 400W

2x 120mm, 1200rpm case fans

Rebel

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings after you load setup defaults.

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: 1.6 Volts (For ATI 9200-9600 Video Cards)

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR

Legacy USB: Disabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Then please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org

OK, I got it booted up and running good. But I think I am about ready to shoot this motherboard. Only problem, I have two of them. Same problem with both. The final problem, that I basically got no help from ASUS on, is this: I done a fresh load of XP, loaded the software for a Creative external serial modem and rebooted the system. Done a restart and turned the modem on. Got up to the desktop, and as windows found new hardware, creative modem, it went to a blue screen with message - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Hit reset and before the reboot, I turned the modem off, came up beautiful. Removed external modem, put internal modem in, started up, and running on internet now. But.....if I go to the control panel and go to PHONE & MODEM and try to remove the internal or external modem or try to unistall the internal modem software, guess what, the blue screen - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. This is with different modems on different PCs with the P4P800-E. Now here is the kicker. I can put my old processor, P4 2.56Gz FSB533 and PC2700 memory in either board, and guess what............all modems unistall and install perfectly, PC runs beautiful. :confused: Stayed on the phone with ASUS for about an hour and he finally said I must have left a stand off out of sync with the screw holes under the board somewhere shorting it. Nope, Ive put together quite a few PC in the last 10 years. His final word was maybe it is a grounding problem with the case. Two different cases with two different PS, two different P4P800-E, don't think so. His last suggestion is to put some electrical tape on each side of the motherboard where the screws mount it to the chassie! :eek: Oh, the said the reason the P4 2.5 worked fine is it wasn't pushing the motherboard to it's max!!! (I thought it was designed for fast P4 800FSB :mad: )

That sounds more like a software problem, have you talked to Creative?

Your right Ram Guy. You got me thinking. Creative installation says to load software, then reboot with modem on. It freaks out then or when you touch anything pertaining to modem in control panel. Even with the Aopen internal modem running. So I reloaded, this time booted up with serial Creative modem on, looks good. Windows found new hardware, asked for drivers, put creative disk in and windows tells me this driver hasn't been approved by MS!!! I tell it to go ahead and load, blue screen with error! Hook a US Robotics external up, windows reconizes it, sets it up, works like a champ. But interesting is, the Creative will work if your running at a 533FSB with PC2100. Weird. Thanks to you and all for the help. You may need to move this to a different section or delete.

Rebel

• Corsair Employees
Well that would suggest the PCI to PCI bridge in the card is very sensitive, and I would talk to Creative and see what they have to say, you also might ask the MB maker if they have any suggested settings or configuration.

Well that would suggest the PCI to PCI bridge in the card is very sensitive, and I would talk to Creative and see what they have to say, you also might ask the MB maker if they have any suggested settings or configuration.

I bought the modems this year. Creative web site has latest drivers listed as year 2003. Info in the driver link says -

"This driver update is for the Modem Blaster v.92 External (DE5621) for users running Windows XP.

Do NOT install the modem drivers if your Pentium® 4 computer (3Ghz and

above) is running with Hyper-Threading enabled.

***Hyper-Threading is a new Intel® technology that enables a single CPU to operate as two virtual CPUs for enhanced multitasking performance. Future driver releases will address this compatibility issue.***

This update includes:

*Improvements in the ability to place outgoing MOH calls *It was tested on the Modem Blaster v.92 External(DE5621)"

No newer drivers are listed on their site. I have emailed them. Hopefully they will respond. Will keep all informed. Both P4P800-E are running fine with USR or Aopen modems. (Just as long as I don'tput a Creative modem driver on there!)

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I don’t mean to sound rude, but I would probably just use another modem based on what you posted. It sounds like they have a driver issue with P4 MB's in general. Or better yet, you might check into DSL or cable as they are all offering some great deals.

I don’t mean to sound rude, but I would probably just use another modem based on what you posted. It sounds like they have a driver issue with P4 MB's in general. Or better yet, you might check into DSL or cable as they are all offering some great deals.

Yep, they will be going in a box. No point worrying with them. Quiet a learning experience with them. :!: Will stick with USR. I live out in the country so dial up is the only option. Except for satellite and they want an arm and leg for that. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone else sometime. :idea: New to this forum but is there anywhere here that a problem solver section exists that this problem could be moved to? Or a section of, :eek: What not to use with what!

Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
LOL! Well I do understand your frustration, and yes you can post over at http://www.houseofmobos.com or in the General Hardware section of HOH forums. There may be some other forums you can post this too, but I would look for more specific manufacturer forums, like http://www.asusforums.org or if creative has a user forum may be a better place.

There's too many possible combinations of HW to have an all-out compatibility problem forum.

Just as a clarification, asusforums.org is now a sub-forum of houseofmobos.com, which is getting a new front page soon, yay!

Archived