Corsair Community

MikeT

Hello,

I built my own pc not to long ago and my idle temps are about 34-36 degrees C but when I did an hour long stress test I found out my Intel Core i5-8600k(not overclocked) was running at about 86 degrees Celsius. I have a Corsair h115i Pro liquid cooling system with 2 140mm fans and I was wondering if these are normal temps. I've mounted the radiator at the front of my case but still behind the case fans, because my case doesn't have the possibility to mount the radiator on top. Can I have 3 case fans and then the radiator behind that and only 1 fan at the back as an exhaust? Or maybe is something wrong with the thermal paste? Please help, Thanks!

You need to look at the coolant temperature (H115i Temp) to determine cooler efficiency. You would normally expect it to go up 6-8C after 10-20 min of load. End cpu temp is another matter and not all 100% cpu loads are equal. There is always a stress test that can heat the cpu into the red zone, no matter what kind of cooling you have. Voltage is the most direct connection to cpu temp.

Okay, thanks for the reply.

My temps on the cooler went from 30-46C after the full stress test. A bit high right? I haven't changed my thermal paste in about 15 months so I'll do that first I guess.

The increase in cooler temp would indicate that it is absorbing heat from the CPU. So it's not likely the thermal paste.

So the question now is why your coolant temps are going up so high. What is the room temperature? How much is the room warming up during this load? What are your other relevant system details? (Hint: Fill out the system information)

Ok, I filled in my specs.

My room temp is 22-24C and doesn't really get hotter even though my pc has high temps. Could it be that my pc is not exhausting the heat from the inside? I only have 1 fan as exhaust and my 3 other case fans work as intake. Together with the cooler that's 5 intake fans and 1 exhaust.

What case is this? Where is the H115i? Top intake?

30-46C is a high range, but possible with heavy GPU heat. To remove that from the equation, run a mild CPU test like the CPU-Z Bench Stress test. It is linear and light. You should see a coolant rise of +4-6C in 10 minutes. If it is substantially more than that, there may be a flow issue.

The case is a FSP CMT510. When I built my pc I didn't catch that my case doesn't have a possibility for a top intake with 2 fans, it only fits one. So that left me to mount it on the front of the case, but still behind the case fans.

I ran the mild stress test and as you said my cooler temp only went up 5 degrees during 10 minutes. I've seen that my GPU gets pretty hot during heavy graphic games like rdr2. Around 76-80 degrees at max and 47-50C at idle. So maybe it is the GPU causing all the other components to get hotter as well. Should I get a new case where I can mount the cooler on top as an exhaust instead? Or will it make no difference?

I don't know anything about that case. From the product page, it looks a bit restrictive on the glass intake and too shallow up top for any radiator. You mounted the 280mm radiator behind the 3x120 and then put the 2x140 on the interior side?

Regardless, if you ran that CPU-Z test and went from 30 to 35C and then back down when the test stopped, there likely isn't an internal cooler problem and you likely are getting enough airflow through the radiator for CPU cooling. That does leave overall internal ambient case temp during prolonged GPU loads as a prime suspect. Fortunately most games are not both maximally GPU and CPU taxing and an elevated coolant temp would explain higher than expected CPU temps.

I didn't want the fans to go to waste I just kept them and mounted the cooler like you described it. But I'll get a different case with better airflow and hopefully it will make a difference. Thanks for the help!

Personally I would want more exhaust fans. Does the case have a top fan location to exhaust as well as the rear one? I have in my case 3 LL120 fans as exhaust and then my H115i Platinum in the front in a push/pull config. Sure running something like Prime95 will increase my CPU temps but my cooler temp will only rise maybe 5C with the fans on 100% and the pump on its fastest setting. You have not told us what you pump and fan settings are set at but at those temps I assume they have ramped up. Also I am trying to figure out how you mounted 3 120mm fans then a 280mm cooler behind them. I could see if you did a push/pull setup with 2 140mm fans in front and 2 140mm fans on the back of the radiator but I am slightly confused as to how you worked that. Can you take a picture and post it? Either way with all that intake and limited exhaust you are probably filling the case with warm air and not allowing the warm air out is not helping keep the radiator cool enough.

My pump is set to performance, and the fans are 100% when they pass 30C. I'm surprised myself how I actually made that mount work but I did it somehow. I took 2 pictures so you can see for yourself, the screws were just long enough to fit the fans in front of the radiator. My case only has 1x120mm at the top of my case which is why I had to the front mount. So it's for sure the one fan that can't keep up with exhausting all the hot air out, I'll get a new case and sort it out.

https://imgur.com/fk1ghAd

https://imgur.com/xGrl9VW