Corsair Community

failed mem test Twin 3200XL asus a8n sli deluxe

barryallen

Hi,

How is everyone today. I have an Asus a8n sli deluxe mobo which I recently purchased along with twin corsair 3200XLs. The system runs fine and I am pretty satisfied with its speed and stability.

However, just to be thorough I ran Memtest86+ v. 1.55 on the system and everything went along fine until test 8 (the modulo test) the program did not show any errors but instead just hung @ 7%. I let it sit for a few minutes to see if it would keep going but it would not. I repeated numerous times and it continued to just hang @ 7%

After reading through this forum I set all the mem timings to auto (they had been at 2-2-2-5 as this is the recommended speed for the modules) and when memtest ran again it showed 2-3-3-5 but this time it hung at 37%. I tried again with the same result

Since it was hanging rather than showing errors I suspected the processor might be to blame so I tested each one of the modules individually. Each one passed test 8 with no problems but obviously only in single channel mode. I would like to test both of them in single channel but I'm not actually sure how to do this.

Anyways I'm just wondering if you guys think the problem is the motherboard (I know the NForce4 chipsets are a little wonky at the moment), the processor (a Athlon64 3500+ hammer by the way) or the mem modules?

Thanks for the help and let say that I only use corsair because the memory is top notch and they have the coolest logo :laughing:

No problem,

Do you mean that test 8 is not a default test? I wasn't sure.

I have a a8n sli deluxe with an Athlon64 3500+. The memory is a corsair 2x512 3200XL twin pack. vidcard is a Radeon X700 Pro 256MB. The PSU is a mad dog surepower 600W Smart Cable, its only a single 30 a rail. I have a SATA HDD and a IDE HDD attached and when I ran memtest that was all that was connected to the board.

I have run the following tests with the indicated results:

both 3200XLs @ 2-2-2-5: test 8 hung @ 7% (five times, and I have switched the modules so it has been run with module_1 in B1 and module_2 in A1 and vice versa)

both 3200XLs @ 2-3-3-5: test 8 hung @ 37% (three times)

single 3200XL: test ran fine for both modules with no errors reported, let it loop five times.

I have not tried running both modules in single channel mode (from what I understand this means putting the modules in B1 and B2, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks again for your help, I hope I've made sense.

• Corsair Employees

With this MB you have to use a PSU that is ATX 2.0 Compliantm and you should set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts with this MB and memory. But please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with the above settings.

Also what version of memtest are you using and where did you get it? If what you have is not the same as in the link I provided, please use that version http://www.memtest.org.

I believe the PSU is ATX 2.0 compliant but I could be wrong.

I was using memtest86+ v1.55 that I downloaded from http://www.memtest.org.

I guess I should know this, but where in the BIOS can I change the DIMM voltage? I don't see it as an option on the screen where the latencies are changed etc.

Thanks again for your help and I will run the test again when I figure out how to change the voltage.

• Corsair Employees

The Voltages will be listed under Freq and Voltage control or sometimes called Jumper Free Configuration with ASUS MB's and you may have to turn off or set AI Over Clock Tuner to manual.

And if your PSU does not have 2 12 Volt rails then it is not ATX 2.0 Compliant, but please check with ASUS and or the PSU maker.

No problem, please let me know what you find out!

Okay,

I went home and doing the suggested tests I think I have narrowed it down a little. Just wanted to reaffirm that I am using the the latest version of memtest86+ that I downloaded from memtest.org (v1.55). Just to be thorough I have used both a burned CD and a floppy disk and they have given the same results.

First I kept the ram modules in dual channel mode, left the latencies at 2-2-2-5 and upped the voltage to 2.8V. I jumped right into test eight and it passed the 7% mark, but this time it locked at 17%. I ran it twice more and it locked at 7% both times.

Then I set the latencies to auto and memtest reported them as 2-3-3-5 but left the voltage at 2.8V. Test #8 hung at 7%.

Per Wired's advice I put the modules into slots B1 and B2 and ran the test in single channel mode with auto latencies and auto voltage. Test #8 ran without a hitch three times straight.

So the obvious thing is that the system is having problems running the memory in dual channel mode. As I have said before I have never had windows lock up on me nor have I seen a BSOD. I have run HL2 and Doom3 at 4x AA and 4x AN @ 1280 with very good results (occaisional skips during explosions). I am willing to accept that my PSU may be underpowered for an SLi setup but I'm currently running an ATI card that doesn't even have a seperate power hookup (I do want to address the power issue though because I plan on going SLi soon with some NVidias). However I do feel that all of these tests have shown that the memory is good if not great. This seems like a problem with the memory controller on the processor but if it is how could I verify this?

Anyways, I know you're sort of above and beyond at this point but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

• Corsair Employees
Well I think you have a good Idea of the direction to pursue and the cause of the issue, except to say, I would suggest you consider a new ATX 2.0 Compliant PSU before you do anything else as that in my humble opinion is the most likely cause based on what you have posted. But I would ask that you let me know how you make out one way or the other, if you don’t mind.

Well I think you have a good Idea of the direction to pursue and the cause of the issue, except to say, I would suggest you consider a new ATX 2.0 Compliant PSU before you do anything else as that in my humble opinion is the most likely cause based on what you have posted. But I would ask that you let me know how you make out one way or the other, if you don’t mind.

Sounds good, I'll see what I can do about getting a new PSU since it's probably something I need anyways. If that doesn't help I'll see what AMD has to say. Hopefully the PSU will help.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again.

Just quick update:

I haven't been able to get a new PSU yet but I've been testing the setup along those lines.

Yesterday I unplugged everything from the board except for the CPU, memory and vidcard and ran memtest86+ v1.55.

I kept the settings at 2-2-2-5 and 2.8v for the first run. Test 8 froze at 17% this time. As earlier posts indicated it had previously been getting to 7% before locking. Ran it again and it got only to 7%.

I turned off, pulled my battery chip out for a while and in the bios changed to settings to AUTO for latencies and AUTO for voltage. The test got all the way to 37% and froze. I ran it again right away and it only got to 7%.

Is this more evidence that the PSU is not up to snuff? The bios shows the single 12V+ rail at 11.771 V with nothing plugged in?

Anyways, hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to try it with a new PSU.

I've got the same problem here. (Memtest 1.55)

Asus A8N-SLI DLX & Twinx3200XLPT (1024Mb)

Tested bios: 1007.004

Used a Tagan TG480-U22 & Enermax EG701AX-VE (both ATX 2.0 compatible 24pins)

MEMtest froze @ 96% everytime.

Tested with 2-2-2-5 @ 2,85V @ 400Mhz (1T / 2T)

Also failed @ 2.5-4-4-8 @ 2,8V @ 200Mhz (2T) !!! (froze)

But with a Twinx3200XLPT (512Mb) modules the test runs FINE!

Also (because i'm a Corsair Reseller) i've tested 3 differnent XL kits. (same problem)

Memtest dileveres no ERROR at all.. (just froze)

Tried also another mainboard (A8N-SLI) , videocard

TEST RESULTS

OK > BIOS 1006 FINAL

Memspeed: 400Mhz @ 2-3-3-5 / 2T (AUTO settings ASUS) @ 2,8V (2019Mb/s)

FAILED @ 99% > BIOS 1006 FINAL

Memspeed: 400Mhz @ 2-3-3-5 / 1T @ 2,8V (2143Mb/s)

OK > BIOS 1006 FINAL

Memspeed: 400Mhz @ 2-2-2-5 / 2T @ 2,8V (2079Mb/s)

FAILED @ 96% > BIOS 1006 Final

Memspeed: 400Mhz @ 2-2-2-5 / 1T @ 2,8V (2209Mb/s)

OK > BIOS 1006 Final > multiple passes 71 passes

Memspeed: 400Mhz @ 2-2-2-5 / 2T @ 2,8V (2079Mb/s)

I've noticed on other forums and with my own results that 1T is very unstable after bios 1004

OK= Test completed one pass (no lockup during the pass)

Another possibility is a slight corruption in your downloaded copy of Memtest86 causing memtest to hang. It's happened to me with downloaded software on occasion. Recommend downloading a new copy to use before testing anew.

Another possibility is a slight corruption in your downloaded copy of Memtest86 causing memtest to hang. It's happened to me with downloaded software on occasion. Recommend downloading a new copy to use before testing anew.

I considered that possibility too, i've downloaded MEMTEST 1.55 on 3 different computers with different internet accounts, also tested with 1.51 all the same results.

When i use SiSoft Sandra 2005's Memory Benchmark, the system reboots after 3 seconds...

Bottom line:

I can't get the TWINX1024XL to work, on stock values (Cas 3, 4-4-8 it's OK) or in overclock, however the TWINX512XL works perfectly!

Getting the 3000+ @ 2,7Ghz (300Mhz x 9) With TWINX 512XL (1T 2-2-2-5)

Tried everything (correct me if i'm wrong):

3 x Asus A8N-SLI mainboards

4 x TWINX1024XL (FAIL)

2 x TWINX1024C2 (FAIL, Sometimes OK)

2 x TWINX512XL (SUPERB)

3 x 3000+ AMD S939

2 x 3500+ AMD S939

4 types of biosses, 2 different graphic cards (Nvidia, ATI), 3 power supplyes (>480W 24pins).

Archived