Corsair Community

Another Fan Install Question from a Newb

captain3jack

I have a commander pro using mobo usb 1 with six fans on it

I have my h150 using mobo usb 2 (only lights the cpu cooler)

I want to add 3 more QL120 and a QL140

At this time, the three fans on the rgbH150 are not rgb but would be replaced by the QL120's

The question

If I purchased a second Commander Pro, could the H150 USB plug into the second pro using one of its slots, thus freeing up the mobo slot for the pro?

Addidtionally, can the QL120's be on the same commander pro as the Ql140?

Thank you

Why would you need another Commander Pro?

The H150i’s fan controller will handle speed and fan power for the 3 QL fans. Presumably the QL140 will go on the existing C-Pro and if there are no free headers, it or another can go on a 2 way splitter.

Lighting Power will be through a Lighting Node Core. This will come in the QL120 triple pack. All 4 QL fans will plug into LNC for lighting, then it will plug into the USB pass through on the existing Commander Pro. It will show up as it’s own device in iCUE.

Why would you need another Commander Pro?

The H150i’s fan controller will handle speed and fan power for the 3 QL fans. Presumably the QL140 will go on the existing C-Pro and if there are no free headers, it or another can go on a 2 way splitter.

Lighting Power will be through a Lighting Node Core. This will come in the QL120 triple pack. All 4 QL fans will plug into LNC for lighting, then it will plug into the USB pass through on the existing Commander Pro. It will show up as it’s own device in iCUE.

Thank you, Got 10 fans running with rgb.

If out of the 10 fans, 3 are running from the H150i controller, then you can definitely do 7 on the one Commander Pro. If it's 10 case fans plus 3 more on the H150i, that may be pushing things a bit far. You could do another Commander Pro is you need 2 more lighting channels and more fan headers. For most people, a powered PWM fan repeater/controller that replicates one control header from the Commander will be a more cost and space effective solution.

If out of the 10 fans, 3 are running from the H150i controller, then you can definitely do 7 on the one Commander Pro. If it's 10 case fans plus 3 more on the H150i, that may be pushing things a bit far. You could do another Commander Pro is you need 2 more lighting channels and more fan headers. For most people, a powered PWM fan repeater/controller that replicates one control header from the Commander will be a more cost and space effective solution.

Okay, so I dropped one fan to 9. My Mobo has two usb slots. I have commander pro 1 in the first and commander pro 2 in slot 2

My aio 150 has 3 fans plugged into it. My Cpro 1 has 6 fans.

The node has 6 rgb and that usb goes into CPro usb slot 1

Node rgb 2 has three fans plugged into it and the usb is plugging into slot 1 cPro 2

I know that’s not necessary, but the plan was to plug in the usb from the aio into slot 2. I tried slot 2 on both CoPro’s and icue doesn’t see it.

I tried hooking both nodes to 1 cpro and the one in slot 2 isn’t recognized.

Is slot 2 on the Commander Pro not a pass through? I doubt I have two defective ones.

No, both USB are pass through ports. It is more likely there is a recognition issue vs inherent defect. Unfortunately, these things seem to be variable and some chipset/driver combinations don't integrate as well they should. Some people use the NZXT hub to get around AMD USB issues.

No, both USB are pass through ports. It is more likely there is a recognition issue vs inherent defect. Unfortunately, these things seem to be variable and some chipset/driver combinations don't integrate as well they should. Some people use the NZXT hub to get around AMD USB issues.

I ended up purchasing a NZXT hub and so far so good. Thank you for all the help. Hopefully CORSAIR comes out with a CoPro XL for 12 fans and simplifies this.