Corsair Community

H100i cooler installed - now have stuttering problem

jmoreaux

I installed an H100i platinum today and ever since my PC stutters like crazy. When watching youtube videos (audio and video stutter) or even when just moving windows around. It's random. Something is causing a huge lag spike of some kind and performance monitor/task manager shows nothing out of the ordinary when this happens. I uninstalled iCue and rebooted. The problem persists. I also installed a temp monitoring tool today (HWiNfo). So I uninstalled that as well. The problem persists. I was using a Corsair H60 water cooler but it wasn't that great at keeping temps lower on this i9 so that's why I decided to try the H100i but this stuttering nonsense is unbearable. Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening? This was absolutely not an issue until I installed the new water cooler. Also, the water cooler didn't fit snug against the cpu at first. The backplate wobbled no matter how tight the offsets were screwed into the motherboard. I read on some forums that Corsair water coolers have this problem with some motherboards that are slightly thinner than normal so I did as others mentioned and added some rubber washers to the backplate so the water cooler would now stay up against the CPU. After I did this the CPU temps dropped by 20 degrees on the next test so this was clearly a problem. Unfortunately the PC stutters like freakin crazy and I can't figure out why.

OK seems to be caused by doing more than one thing or videos loading up. The beginning of every youtube video stutters at first like it's trying to buffer and might also do so randomly later in in a video. It absolutely will do this if I do something like open another tab or do anything that requires the computer to start another task besides just playing the video. The audio stutters and the mouse stops moving for a second. Again, I have no idea how installing a water cooler caused this but it never happened until i put this thing on.

i9 9900K

16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

GeForce 980 GTX

Win 10 Pro

The only thing that changed was removing the H60 water cooler and installing the H100i.

Other things I've tried:

Shutting off Logitech software (I have a logitech keyboard and mouse)

Turning down mouse polling (noticed it was at the highest level so I turned it down to a much lower level)

iCue is no longer installed

None of these ideas has made any difference so far.

Removed GeForce card and now no more stutters. Running with on board graphics and no mouse stutters. No audio stutters. No video stutters on youtube. I've already updated geforce drivers to the latest version and that didn't help. At this point this may or not be related to the corsair water cooler. Maybe it's just coincidental that the problem happened at the same time. Still would appreciate any help anyone would might have with this. Something about the video card, which is not overclocked and has always worked flawlessly, is now causing a problem with the new water cooler installed. I'll try putting it back in and see what happens.

OK. Put it back in and stuttering is back. Ran a GPU benchmark and it ran exactly as always has in the past. No issues and same scores a 980 would get. The card itself is totally fine. Why the hell does this video card cause mouse, audio and video stuttering with this CPU water cooler installed? I've tried booting without other hard drives connected and same problem. The only hardware I can remove that stops the stuttering is the video card. I've already reseated the ram and that did nothing. The only thing I can think to try now is to just remove the water cooler and put the old H60 water cooler back on and see if the stuttering stops. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

The issue turned out that be the Corsair vengeance ram. For some reason installing icue jacked up the ram and it won't run in xmp mode any longer. The system is only stable with xmp off now. I've been using xmp for a long time with no issues. Install icue and now the ram skitters like crazy. So technically the water cooler itself isn't the problem but the crappy icue software seems to be. I'm going to try manually entering the correct timings instead and see if the ram will work at the advertised speed again. Icue is uninstalled. I think I'll buy an air cooler. This has been a two day nightmare. Thanks for no help at all Corsair.