Corsair Community

AMD AV8 Mobo & AMD64 cpu owners

VulcanOrion

I just installed these two. Where do I put my memory sticks (I have TWIN X *2x512* Corsair PC3200LL DDR400). In the installation guide it says to install dual channel sticks (128-bit) in DIMM's 1 & 2 but I couldnt get my PC working until I changed that to DIMM's 1&3.

So for the last 3 days I have been trying to get my new mobo (AV8) and new cpu (AMD64 3800) with my memory in DIMM's 1 & 2 but it only works if I install them in DIMM's 1 & 3. Do you guys think I may have messed my mobo up by keeping my memory in DIMM's 1 & 2?

PS: I have yet to flash my bios. I have heard that I may need to do this. Can anyone confirm if a bios flash will fix this? Also, what voltage and timmings should I run (please explain where each number should go in order as I get confused :) ).

and yes, slot 1 and slot 3 is probably right for dual channel.

also putting the ram in the wrong slots doesnt harm the system as far as i know

According to ABIT the DIMMs should be 1 & 2 or else you are running in single mode. It will not run in Dual (DIMM's 1 & 2) w/o crashes. Als, when trying to boot up with a floppy (using memtest) it begins to load and the reboots...:(

So I cant test. I am going to update the bios but from what I understand there wasnt a problem like this for the most part so it wasnt fixed. I guess Im one of the few... :/

yes, i am waiting for support myself, thought your motherboard was asus a8v.

the only thing i can suggest at this point is trying to boot with only one stick and run memtest on each module separately at whatever slot your computer boots from.

sorry.

Well I was able to run a test and had over 500,000 errors...no thats not a made up number. :/

Anyways, I went ahead and upped the voltage from 2.65 to 2.70 and I had no errors after a couple of passes. Could voltage cause that many errors and what should the timings be? Thanks for all the help.

I have TwinX (2x512) PC3200LL DDR400. One will load while the other will not boot with the PC. I have tested the modules and had over 500,000 errors. Then I tested again and I got nothing (after changing to 2.70 voltage). My mobo is an Abit Av8-3rd Eye with a AMD64 3800 cpu (which are both brand new).

Should I be able to boot with just one of them?

The memory is tested @ 2.75 volts, so the fact that the voltage increase fixed it isn't surprising. Your HW is all fine :) Also, yes, you should be able to boot with just one stick. Nowadays only RDRAM NEEDS to be run in pairs.

Think of the voltage increase as when you give your car some gas. With not enough gas, it can't go certain speeds.

Are you saying that NEITHER stick when in the 1st or 3rd slot by itself? Note: 1st slot is the one closest to the CPU.

Try each stick by itself in the 1st, then 3rd slot and then please report the results.

Also, now my mobo won't even beep once from a total power down.

Shouldn't my mobo beep once when I turn my PC on? Is so and Im not hearing the beep, what could this indicate?

Could a bad memory module cause this as well?

Also, I tested the memory with memtest (voltage set at 2.8) and I get no errors. If I had bad memory wouldn't I get errors? NOTE: Remember I did get over 500,000 that one time.

If the sticks aren't getting enough voltage, errors can occur. That does not mean the stick is bad; on the contrary, it means that the sole problem was the lack of voltage. They are tested @ 2.75 volts, and are warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts. Your sticks are fine since they are @ 2.8 volts and are testing with no errors.

If while testing in the same slot one stick will boot and one won't, it's a bad stick. Damn, I'm repeating myself, I gotta re-read threads a bit more lol.

In Athlon 64 processors the memory controller is on the CPU itself, however it would not explain the above situation.

Archived