Corsair Community

Asus P4C800-E - 3Gb issues

erik56789

I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and had been running 1Gb with a Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2. I recently purchased 2Gb additional with a Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2PT. The first memory was in channel 1 (DIMM_A1, DIMM_B1) and the second pair was in channel 2 (DIMM_A2, DIMM_B2). The memory mode is set to SPD (Serial Presence Detect). The system won't boot. With either pairs in either channel the system will boot, but not with both. The latencies are identical on both memory modules. Shouldn't this system work?

Thanks for any advice.

What is the revision of each TwinX pack?

How can I tell? The CMX512's say xms3202v1.2 then 0332122, the 1024 are brand new and are in the machine now so I couldn't tell you what they say. The package says lot#0511055-6 if this helps.

Even though the latencies are identical on the 2 types of RAM, the ICs used are not. And, that is where your problems typically come in. You might be able to run it if you loosen the timings. try 2.5,3,3,7 or 3,3,3,7 or some combination of loose timings like that. Also, make sure you have the Vdimm set to 2.85v. I'd also add some active NB cooling. A nice cheap little fan on the stock cooler helps.

Good luck, Mike.

Thanks but no luck.

I set the latency to 3-3-3-7-8 and the DDR Reference voltage to 2.85.

Results: Nothing. Just a blank screen as before.

This seems ODD. I picked the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe because it was rated quite well for people pushing the envelope. I got C2 latency memory in as identical a configuration as I could (and still reach the 3Gb target). I'm only running a 2.4Ghz CPU so I figured this would be no problem. To me it seems like there is a setting somewhere to enable dual channel and I just haven't set it. Somehow I have the feeling if I got two sets of identical TWINX memory that it still wouldn't work. All the instructions seem to be so easy, but nothing.

Any clues?

Thanks

I'm 99.99% certain that it is the combination of RAM you have chosen. In some cases there is simply no way that different types of ICs are going to run together in the same system. And, you don't actually select dual channel by a switch or bios setting. It is determined at boot by the bios/MOBO when it senses the RAM in the correct matching slots.

I have run 4 sticks of RAM in all of my P4C800 MOBOs. The board can and will run 4 sticks but, it is dependent on having the right RAM. IMO, you should run the 2048mb TwinX kit. Overall, 2 sticks are much less load on the NB than 4 sticks. Also you will be able to OC much better with 2 sticks as opposed to 4.

Good luck, Mike.

Thanks,

I actually need 3Gb to run Photoshop with the image sizes that I will be using. Using less memory and it uses too much disk access and is unacceptably slow. What you're saying is that all four sticks need to be identical? I don't plan on overclocking the system. If I got two more sticks of TWINX2048 would the system work OK?

-Erik

Thanks,

I actually need 3Gb to run Photoshop with the image sizes that I will be using. Using less memory and it uses too much disk access and is unacceptably slow. What you're saying is that all four sticks need to be identical? I don't plan on overclocking the system. If I got two more sticks of TWINX2048 would the system work OK?

-Erik

It should run fine with 4 x 1024 modules but, I'd wait for official word from RAM GUY on that. I don't know of any reason why it won't work as 4 x 512mb runs fine.

We do digital video production. I have seen the wife with AVID running and editing photos with Photoshop. We've never had an out of memory state. How large physically are the files you are using and how many MB? She recently worked with a banner 5feet x 4feet @ 300dpi. And, she had an IE window open, a scanner running, and was spell checking with Word.

FWIW, do you have your Windows or Photoshop scratch file on a seperate HD from the OS and Photoshop? And, what speed/size/brand etc HDs are you using. We have NEVER had a problem with any amount of computing activity using 2 x 512mb of RAM. And, the only times I used 4 x 512mb on a P4C800 series it seemed sluggish and nothing we tried was any faster than with 2 x 512mb.

IMO, you don't really "need" 3gb of RAM for what you are describing unless there is something I am missing. If you are worried with disk access, you should concentrate improving disk thruput etc. I have read dozens of posts where users wanted to stop page file activity. However adding RAM above 1gb and turning off the page file still will not reduceor eliminate page file activity. So, 3gb of RAM is not going to stop that so you are back to the disk I/O problem.

I've tested dozens of configurations and I see no reason why 2gb of RAM won't do what you want. But, as I said, I don't know all your operational demands. I'll help if I can if you don't solve the issue.

Hope this helps. Mike.

Actually I'm not certain that I will run into problems. I'm trying to get setup to run images at 6ft x 4ft at 300 dpi in 48 bit color (1.8Gb). I've had issues with 1Gb of memory when trying to merge two 500Mb TIFF files. In talking to imaging experts they say that I need to use the full 2Gb addressable by PhotoShop and to have extra available for the system. I'll be getting the images next week and got the extra memory to be ready for it. By the way the hard drives are SATA Western Digital Raptor 37Gb drives in a Raid 0 configuration for operation and a FireWire 250Gb drive for storage.

-Erik

Mike,

I reviewed the PhotoShop info. Looks like I'd be better off just dedicating two SATA raptors to the scratch disk instead of worrying about the 3rd Gb of memory. The current disks are very fast but used for everything but backups.

Good advice.

It sounds like you are on the right track then. Nice setup BTW. Apparently you do more graphically intensive Photoshop work than we do.

If it was my system, I'd optimize the Windows page file and the Photoshop page file to a seperate HD from the OS. Then, just test with the 2gb TwinX set. If it is not enough, by then you can contact RAM GUY but, I see no reason that 4 x 1024mb sticks would not run.

Good luck, Mike.

Archived