Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200 correct latencies

Satie

System:

Asus A8V Deluxe

A64 3500+ winchester

hello, different websites (including corsairs site) suggest different latencies of the TWINX2048-3200 and TWINX2048-3200PRO, they differ to either 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8 for both.

Once thats cleared up i am also looking at a few more modules at zipzoomfly.

TWINX2048-3200 $315

TWINX2048-3200PT $315

TWINX2048-3200PRO $349

TWINX2048-3200C2 $390

TWINX2048-3200C2PT $387

why do prices differ from non platinum to platinum versions? are the white heatsinks more expencive or perform better in anyway? i can understand paying more for the lights on the PRO version but after all the first 3 are identical ram right? (zipzoomfly's prices are pretty even but you can find up to $50 diff. between the non-PT and PT versions on other sites)

Also, all those will run at 1T rigth? I am currently RMAing 4x512 (2xTWINX1024-3200XLPT) because it ran at ddr333 and 2T, i manually managed to lock them at ddr400 but there was no performance incrase from ddr333 because of 2T. I wont have any of those problems with 2x1gig right?

Or am i better off getting some PC4000? i dunno, theres lots of questions here which i would like answered. i just need 2gigs of ram that i can throw in there and not worry about it for a long time to come. thx.

TWINX2048-3200: 3-3-3-8

TWINX2048-3200C2: 2(2.5)-3-3-6

PROs will be more because of the LEDs in general, but the PTs should be the same price. Because memory prices change from day to day, the reseller's prices can change depending on when they buy their memory. The platinum and black heat spreaders perform the same.

All 3200 are 1T, correct.

Your 4x512 ran @ 333 Mhz (2T) on that A8V because of the design of the memory controllers on the Athlon 64s. They lower the FSB with 3 or more sticks by design. Also keep in mind memory companies don't test memory with 3 or 4 sticks paired together, so their timings aren't guaranteed under those circumstances. Basically, a TwinX pack by itself (2 sticks) is guaranteed @ those timings and speed, but not when 2 TwinX packs are paired u, especially since a lot of memory controllers when running 4 sticks will be under more stress and may not be able to handle tight timings under those circumstances.

For 2 GB @ 1T, get TwinX2048-3200(xx).

thx for the quick reply, that cleared alot of confusion.

i am gonna scratch the pros since i doubt ill be looking at the lights, also the hsf i plan to buy probably wont fit with those.

so i am down to the regular and the C2s. do you think ill notice any difference with the C2s and is there any real time performance comparison?

thx

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=37318

In all the years of tesing PCs (P4 systems only) with the amount of RAM testing as 1gb vs 2gb, I have NEVER found any improvement with 2gb. Also, as I have tested latencies don't play into the video encoding equation. Pure CPU speed is the factor that = faster encoding. So, if you are going to OC any to improve video encoding I'd say go for your highest FSB speed with 2 x 512mb of RAM.

Also, we have run AVID and Photoshop simultaneously and never had an out of memory problem on our editing computers using 2 x 512mb of RAM. Unless you absolutely "NEED" 2gb of RAM, I'd stick with 2 x 512mb of the XL as that is the best combination of latencies and speed you could have for your dual purposes.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Mike.

did i mention i was mostly gaming?

specmike, needs to go benchmark CPU/RAM intensive games like neverwither or especially planetside on which you have to wait 2 seconds for doors to open because your harddrive is swapping 90% of the time with 1gig :[pouts:

anyway, TWINX2048-3200 or TWINX2048-3200C2

thx

3200C2.

specmike does mostly video editing stuff. That's what his quote was about.

If Planetside is anything like SW:G's memory usage, then it'll want up to 750 MB (and be aggressive about it), so it's fighting with Windows over a certain amount of memory.

Starwars is nearly as CPU/RAM intensive, planetside uses up to 1.3-1.4gb, not sure about neverwinter but its probably close since it would start to swap too on 1gib ram. Theres a positive side to that kind of games though. . . you dont really need a $400+ video card to run them, but rather a fast CPU with enough ram and a 9700pro~6600gt. Thus you end up increasing all your system's performance instead of spending the same money on a video card for some 1600x1200 action in other games.

Not sure why exactly i am saying this. . . just thinkin out loud i guess.

Anyway, thanks for the help on ram.

"Not sure why exactly I am saying this. . . just thinkin out loud I guess."

I'll tell ya why, cause it help peeps like me out tremendously! :biggrin:

I'd like to thank both of you for your dialog. You hit on many of the questions I had in my brain when I logged on here. I'm building a system similar to Satie's, but am going with the MSI Neo4 Platinum board and a base athlon 64 3000+ winchester, because from what I gather, it overclocks to about the same point as the 3500+.

I was confused as to exactly when the mobo would throttle down to DDR333 since MSI's website left out some configuration combinations, such as using a pair of dual sided dimms in one channel and singles in the other. Thanks for clearing that up Wired!

I'll be using this system for Worlds of Warcraft. (A dedicated system for one game... good to know my priorities are in the right place! :p: ) So I think I'll go the 2 Gig route also. Wired, do you have any knowledge/guess of if/when the XMS 4400c25 series will be available in twin 1 gig dimms? I'm not in any big hurry to put the system together, so I could wait a bit if need be.

No problemo! I don't work for Corsair, so I don't get any advance knowledge of their stuff. Unfortunately, those who may know are under NDA until such a time if/when it is released.

Doubt we'll ever see 4400C25s @ 1GB though., probably too expensive to make.

Just came across this good read about a possible solution to the 4x dimm dillema....

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=127

Talks about the new venice core that AMD released on April 4th, and will start shipping on or before April 15, 2005.

Author of article stated in the forums:

"Yes! I did in fact successfully run 4 sticks of 512 MB DDR memory on this processor at 6-3-3 2.0 1T."

Another link of interest on the subject...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice.html

Archived