Corsair Community

Requesting RMA

I have 2 Corsair 512mb 400mhz cl2 XMS3200 ram sticks. The sticker on the ram says CMX512-3200C2, XMS3202v2.2 0318041.

My computer has been blue screen crashing all the time, I just did a check on each stick of ram individually using memtest 86+ 1.20. One stick came out with zero errors, the other stick had several.

I would like to get the bad stick replaced.

I am using a p4 2.6 with hyperthreading.

Requesting an RMA asap.

Thank you

Aaron

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

MOBO - Gigabyte 8knxp Rev: 1.0

CPU - Intel P4 2.6ghz 800mhz bus Hyper Threading

I attached a picture for your reference but the speeds are all set to default.

I've tried resetting the bios to default and the memory tests still failed.

Thank you,

Aaron

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

CIMG1228.thumb.jpg.cb0e076e33208999bdd902dd83899d59.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved the new ram. I ran a memtest on it, 42 errors came up in less than an hour.

I am going to send this back, do I need to request a new RMA?

Is there any way you can test the ram to ensure it works before you send it? I dont want to deal with this anymore and need a working computer ASAP.

Attached is a photo of the memtest error screen.

Thank you

Aaron

badram.JPG.c6f89b1801fa60f3ebdad370c5dff3e2.JPG

• Corsair Employees

Yeah, just scroll up its all there.

I do not understand, please tell me what information is missing and I will get it to you.

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well?

As stated above:

MOBO - Gigabyte 8knxp Rev: 1.0

CPU - Intel P4 2.6ghz 800mhz bus Hyper Threading

In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

As stated above:

I attached a picture for your reference but the speeds are all set to default.

Aside from that, I have a Geforce 6800 GT 256mb video card, an audigy 2 sound card and a dell 2001fp 20" lcd monitor.

Thank you.

CIMG1228.thumb.jpg.20312f539f9204cc8483ed8c73de19d8.jpg

They do pre-test it. Either random chance hit you, or there's something else. Bump up the voltage to 0.2, and then test one stick at a time in the same slot. If they both pass, repeat in a different slot.

I was told it may be a bad idea to bump the voltage up. Ive tested the ram in both slots.

The one good stick of ram I have works great, zero errors, crash free in either slot.

Ram guy?

Please let me know how you make out!

Hey Ramguy,

So I upped the voltage to +.2 like you said.

First, I tested my good stick in both slots. There were no errors after several passes.

I then tried the new "bad" stick in the first slot, and in the first 8 minutes, 2 errors came up. I then tried it in the second slot and let it run overnight. When i checked it in the morning, there were 204 errors. (see attached picture)

I was hoping the voltage change would correct the problem. I need to get my cpu running back with 1 gig asap. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Aaron

test.thumb.JPG.e7d6234dde7329caae028859132b653c.JPG

Hey Ramguy,

If I send you both ram sticks, I'll be out of a computer for a week. I cannot afford to have any down time.

I will send the bad stick back today though.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Let's try replacing both of your modules.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

O.K. please let me know how you make out!

Well I dont know what to say, I tested the new ram in both slots, and it came up with errors within the first few minutes.

I tried using both sticks and it was fine for about 30 minutes before it blue screened as usual.

Im back to using my one good stick of ram, and the machine is completely stable.

I would like to think that maybe the mobo is whats faulty here, but I am testing the ram individually, and the one stick of ram that I do have works like a champ and is error free.

Any thoughts?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And the complete system configuration.

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And the complete system configuration.

Uh, i'm pretty sure you've asked me all this already. The information you are asking for is in previous posts.

As for "how to read the memory label", you're link is broken.

Archived