Corsair Community

Think my RAM went bad, advise pls.

Fevves

Hi all from a new guy.

Let me quickjump to the prob.:

Yesterday on regular PC reboot, I got BSOD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON _PAGED_AREA stop message with 0x0000050 (not sure how many zeros was there tho) (0xA318806, 0X000000001, 0X804FEF61, 0X00000000). Wasn't installing any SW nor HW recently, nor I had any problems of this kind in the past. After not being able to escape the infinity loop of reboots (everytime same error occured) I shut down my PC, went to another one and did some research - seems error msg was related to bad RAM so I decided to test my memory with Memtest, and doing 5 passes in a row I got 18 errors, all 18 was the same - on 4th test Mem. address 006075032e0 117.1MB good value should begin with d but was d (not sure I wrote down the code well but will redo the tests if its important). Pulling the first RAM module out of the slot changed the error code but msg Mem. address was the same and was on 78.0MB. Tried to switch ram slots, no go - same thing. Then I swaped RAM modules and error gone away. Left my PC over night with memtest - at the morning wasn't showing any errors. PC booted up OK, but with half of my ram in it. I bought 2 identical memory modules from Italian reseller Essedi (which is listed on Corsair reseller list) in January last year and now they are out of stock with this type of Corsair ram. Theese modules worked in Dual DDR mode (Twinx was to expensive here in Italy and 2 single modules was a lill bit lighter on my wallet). Am I having a bad RAM module, and if so could you pls advise me what to do? Faulting module (and one that's working OK) is Corsair CMX512-3200LL XMS3205v1.2 LOT# 0352002.

Thank you for any help you could provide me.

ps: please excuse my english, I'm from Italy.

• Corsair Employees

Please try and set these settings manually and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Please try and set these settings manually and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Tried to do that, it's no go, same thing is happening on the same spot. i reached the assistance in the shop where I bought the memory, now they are testing faulty RAM modul. My only preocupation is the subst. modul if there will be one - if it's not the same will it go into dual DDR with the old one that's good... I hope CMX3200XL can do dual DDR with CMX3200LL RAM. Will let you know once I get more info from the shop. Thanks for your help RAM GUY!

• Corsair Employees

If you do have a bad module, I would suggest you submit both modules for RMA so the new modules match.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Well, I'm still waiting for the seller shop "guru"s to finish testing my bad module, but they are testing it with 3DMark? I told them I would like it being tested with Memtest86 (it's recommended here on the boards), as memtest is giving me errors so I hope they will see the glitch either way. As for RMA I would like to point I'm from Italy so the process would be a bit painfull - leaving PC without RAM for extended period of time and me without PC too, but if I can't menage to switch bad RAM with my seller I'll be "forced" to do RMA if it's an option for non-US buyers? At this point I just hope my seller will switch bad module.

One more question: is it really posible to change both my RAM sticks (both are identical tho) even they are not in Twinx pack?

Thanks for your help Ram Guy and Wired.

What test are you getting errors on?

I wrote on my first post I was getting errors In Memtest86 4th test, the seller shop techs are testing it with 3DMark, and as I was speaking on the phone with them 5 mins. ago, they didn't pointed out what type of error nor test they are getting errors on but they indeed said they are getting some errors from my suspisious RAM. They will tell me more about RAM they are willing to give me replacing faulting one on Tuesday. Gosh, I hate when it's not as simple as it should be - seller test the faulty RAM (with appropriate program also!), seller RMA it (when getting specific errors in recommended program!), I get no errors - all happy.

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees

Please email me with your Resellers name and phone# and the time zone and and your name and I will be happy to call them. Provided they speak English.

Please put ATT: Ram Guy in the email subject.

Please email me with your Resellers name and phone# and the time zone and and your name and I will be happy to call them. Provided they speak English.

Please put ATT: Ram Guy in the email subject.

E-mail on it's way... Thank you again! Didn't expected this much effort you putted here, thanks a lot!

• Corsair Employees
Yes I did, and I sent you an email as well. But please let me know. They sounded very busy, I think because of the weekend, but I left him My phone # so we will have too wait and see. But let me know if its not resolved by Monday and I will call them again.

Yes I did, and I sent you an email as well. But please let me know. They sounded very busy, I think because of the weekend, but I left him My phone # so we will have too wait and see. But let me know if its not resolved by Monday and I will call them again.

Here I am again. After the phone call and 20 min. of talking my retailer into testing the suspicious memory stick alone (means only that bloody stick, sorry but I'm a bit piss*d off - 10 days ago handed them over the ram and now they are willing to do some propper testing) in one of their PCs and with memtest86 they finaly said ok - means they will test the stick in this way. For the rest they said they don't see any malfunction in memory stick so far and that its performing OK. So my BSODs and memtest86 errors are unverified. But point is they didn't tested it with memtest86 yet. Also they stated they have to call their central office to verify what to do for with my request to switch module(s) if they think it's defective or bad because they can't decide for themselves. I should call them tommorow again after 18:00 (GMT+1) to hear if there are news. I mentioned you tried to contact them last week on Friday and said who you are, I asked also if they can give me phone number of their higher instances to be able to contact them about the whole matter. As soon as I have some news I'll post them. Thanks for your patience.

Well, today I called them to hear if they verified ram as faulty, instead they told me it was OK, not one single error on memtest. Surprised, I asked which version and how many passes they did. Gues what, I didn't got an answer to that one but they told me I can come to the shop to collect my ram. Ok, was there, talked to them and after half an hour they were willing to switch me only that module (and before they stated ram was perfect). After another 20 minutes they said they had some errors, but they can't change both of my modules, so I asked which module they can give me in exchange for a faulty one - XMS-3200XL but it's unavailable atm... will have it in 2 weeks. Heh, how nice of them... They wouldn't provide me a higher instance" contact info, so I'm stuck at this point: I switch faulty (for them perfectly OK, but hey!, with "some" errors) module and pray to god it will go well with my good XMS-3200LL module, and I can pray even more it will do dual DDR.

Well, I gues I'll switch my PC parts seller with my next purchase (in about a month - should upgrade RAM to 1 or 2 gigs in my other PC) but not the Corsair as my first choice RAM brand!

Thanks for all the effort you put and help you provided me on this matter.

ps: I tested once more that module but this time with more juice - 2.8v - got over 16000 errors in the first 3 tests, voltage down to 2.7 - about 280 errors and counting, - voltage down to 2.65 - 1 same exact error like I had before when system started crashing with BSOD.

Archived