Corsair Community

How does iCUE pick temp sensors?

M.L.Andersson

Friends,

New to iCUE and with a large build based on AMD 3970X with mainly Noctua cooling.

It also contains 2 ML120 fans, 4 LED strips and a K70 keyboard to raise my awareness by the RGBs whenever some parts get hot. I make use of 2 Commander Pros with 4 temp sensors each and 2 external ones for the motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme TRX40.

However, I wonder how iCUE decides which temp sensors to include as there are quite a number to pick from according to HWINFO, but only a few show up in the dropdowns in iCUE as available choices?

Especially, why is only EC_TEMP1 and not EC_TEMP2 of the two external sensors at the motherboard showing up (both works according to other apps)?

Thanks in advance,

Magnus

I don’t think iCUE decides anything. The motherboard has to provide readable data. iCUE passes it along. It certainly is not programmed on a individual motherboard basis. It seems odd that it would read one and not the other, if they are what they appear to be — 2 separate external temp probes. Things are not always as they seem and manufacturers sometimes do strange thing. HWINFO will read VRM temp on my Asus Z390, but the board itself hides the information. Why would Asus do this? Is the value legitimate?

The exact nature of the sensor is going to be specific to the board, so if there is something to be learned you likely need to ask Gigabyte. However, you might be looking the wrong way for this regardless. The Commander Pro can take data from the MB for fan control, but it is dependent on the software to provide it. The native temp source for the device are its own 4 temp sensors at the end of those 10K thermistor wires. Those provide data all the time, with or without software, including boot/restart. I can’t think of any reason to use the MB temp probes when the actual controller has their own. Ideally this is where most people want to end up in their control scheme.