Corsair Community

Is this problem memory related

JMH327

Hello all,

I am building a pretty decent PC. I put it all together and for some reason it just keeps resetting itself about every 3-4 seconds. If I press F2 at just the right time the BIOS startup will briefly flash and then it just restarts again. It will do this indefinately. I sent the motherboard back to MSI for replacement but am still waiting for it. Has anyone ever had this happen. I did a hundred troubleshooting techniques to no evail, including tacking everything out of the case and using minimal components. This is where my question is, the board came with a led debug thing and it is resetting when the memory test is being performed. If I take the memory out I dont get any code beeps it just locks up, wont even turn off. I have had a few people tell me that if it does not get error beeps with no memory in it the board is bad. I'm a virgin here PLEASE HELP! All below are supposed to be compatible, if you know otherwise please let me know.

P4 3.4GHz 640 Processor

MSI 925X Neo Platinum Mobo

2-Corsair 512 533Mhz XMS2 sticks (bought as a unit in same package)

Antec NeoPower 480W PSU

2-74GB Raptors

Pacific Digital (Western Digital) raid controller made especially for the Raptors

ATI 700 Pro 256mb graphics

BenQ DVD RW

Plexwriter Premium 52x CD

I am building a new computer and for some reason it keeps restarting itself every 3-4 seconds, nothing else (lights, fans) are losing power it just keeps resetting. I have tried every troubleshooting guide on the net, including, but not limited to, using 1 stick of memory and just the bare necessities, taking it out of the case, trying every slot for the memory. I took the graphics card out and got beep codes(graphics ofcorse) and was also told by someone at microcenter to take the memory out and run the computer to see if I got codes. I did not, he said bad MoBo. I sent it back and am awaiting a new one but in the mean time does anyone know anything about this type of problem.

2- Corsair XMS2 512 pc4300 sticks ( bought as dual channel in same package)

P4 3.4Ghz 640 processor

MSI 925x NeoPlatinum Mobo

ATI X700 pro graphics

Antec NeoPower 480 watt PSU

2- 74 GB WD Raptors

Pacific Digital (Western Digital) raid controller, made for the Raptors

Plexwriter 52X CD

BenQ DVD RW

The memory part number is TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO, I can't change the voltage or run any programs because it keeps restarting. Remember, there is nothing loaded on the hard drives, not even the os because I can't get that far. From the moment I press the power button it restarts after about 3 seconds no matter what I do. I have 2 sticks of memory and have tried both individually, I don't see how it could be the memory, what are the odds of getting 2 bad sticks in one package. Also, I have no other machine I can test the memory in.

With just one module installed please try and clear the bios with the CLRTC jumper and then see if it will let you into the bios and laod setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 1.9 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org

I tried clearing the bios by removing the battery for a few minutes and by the jumper pin method.

• Corsair Employees
If you are getting this symptom with either module I would suspect some other issue. It would be really hard to get 2 bad modules from us. Can a friend maybe help you test the CPU and/or memory in another system?

Archived