Corsair Community

H110i - Longevity

Riptide_NVN

I have an H110i that is getting older now, around 3-4 years. I have always run the pump on silent mode to help keep wear/tear down. It seems to be working OK still minus an issue with the LED on the pump cover.

I have read, that these tend to lose coolant very slowly over time until eventually you start seeing effects from this. Should I be concerned that this may begin to present soon?

I am debating whether I want to use this in another build, that I am going to give to my nephew. If something happens, I will be too far away to help him with it and he's very new to PCs.

Typically with slow evaporation over time, you will hear the issue in the form of gurgles and such long before there is any performance drop. You don't get a benefit by having more fluid in the system (at least not without taking it to absurd extremes). So the fluid level doesn't really matter until there is too little left to keep the pressure up to get through the loop.

More common than this is general chemical changes over time that lead to partial blockages. The cooler was designed to be filled once, no maintenance, and then its life ends at some point in the future. Obviously anything that is "no maintenance" will eventually break down on some level. There really is no way to predict the future. There are people out there running original 2011 Hydro coolers with no real loss. Or you can suffer an electrical or mechanical fail 6 months in. That's just how things go.

If you are looking for an assessment, most people will have an idle coolant temp of +4-6C over room temp. A CPU only load temp of +4-6C for a 1700x. If you find yourself substantially outside that zone, then it may be losing a bit or performance or at the least we should take a look.