Corsair Community

4 X 3200XL Pro 512mb speed

Rover3500

Hi,

I am new here and my eyes are blury from testing all day, so before I start let me say that I'm sorry if this has already been answered or if my post is missing detail.

I have just purchased 2 sets of TwinX 1024 3200XL Pro , If I use any one set I will see speeds and timing as I should.

However if I fit both sets so that I am filling all four slots I will get some very odd readings !

With the mobo memory settings at AUTO it will default to 166, if I try to set it manualy @ 200mhz in the bios it won't boot, if I set a moddest overclock of say 210mhz it will halve down to 105mhz

Any one of the sets or any combo of 2 of the sticks work fine but as soon as I try to fit 4 I get this problem.

Is this a compatability problem or is it a case of bandwidth sharing, if the latter then it also slows my system down, so I think it must be a compatability thing.

Any thoughts or any others with this problem please shout, as it's been driving me mad all day.

Well it's 2.00 am here so time to rest my eyes and thanks for reading.

Oh !!!

My specs' (in brief)

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe : rev 1.02 (bios 1006)(nForce4 SLI)

AMD A64 3500 Winchester

2 X Corsair TwinX 1024 3200XL Pro ( 4 X 512mb 3200XL Pro )

ATI X850 XTPE

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (retail internal)

4 X Maxtor Diamondmax 10 160gb sata (NV raid 0 = 640gb)

2 X Plextor Premiums (ata)

1 X Pioneer 106s Slot DVD

1 X Pioneer DVR108 DVD RW

Enermax 600w noisetaker

Windows XP Pro SP2

+ all the usual other bumph !!

I hope someone can help before I go mad and again sorry if I've missed anything out !!

Thanks

:confused:

It's normal for it to drop to 333 Mhz with 4 sticks. That's how the Athlon64 memory controllers were designed.

Thats a bit naff of AMD !! what was the idea behind that one ?? :eek:

Also if there is no work around for the issue, what would be best:

use 2 sticks @ 400 or more

Or use 4 sticks @ 333 (if stuck at 333 could the 3200XL timings and volts be bettered to help compensate ??)

??

The mind boggles at some of the ideas manufactuers have, lol

Surely it wouldn't have been that hard to make the controllers run properly with 4 memory sticks, or am I simplifying it to much ??

BTW : what is the max supported voltage for the 3200XL sticks ??

Thanks

Max supported voltage: up to, but not over, 2.9 volts

Corsair doesn't test 4 sticks at once, so there's no guarantee 4 sticks will do 2-2-2-5, but there's a good chance that they will.

As for 4 sticks @ 333 Mhz vs. 2 sticks @ 400 Mhz, it depends on what you plan to use the system for.

4 sticks places more strain on the memory controller, so they lowered the speed.

Max supported voltage: up to, but not over, 2.9 volts

Corsair doesn't test 4 sticks at once, so there's no guarantee 4 sticks will do 2-2-2-5, but there's a good chance that they will.

As for 4 sticks @ 333 Mhz vs. 2 sticks @ 400 Mhz, it depends on what you plan to use the system for.

4 sticks places more strain on the memory controller, so they lowered the speed.

Thanks for your fast replies Wired,

I think part of the new dialemma now is what my system is used for, lol, because thats just about everything.

Games are about 50% so that would suggest low timings and high bus speed, but I also do a lot of film/movie editing and file convertions so that suggests more memory capacity. Other than those it's a wash of just about every thing else a computer can be used for !!

I guess the only thing I don't do is advanced graphics / CAD

Hense a continued dialemma, I think until AMD sort this one out I will have to sell my memory and get 2 X 1024 sticks, thats the only compromise that I can see. :!:

I love the look and performance of these 3200XL Pro's , much nicer than my 3200LLPT's , So parting with them won't be an easy thing. :[pouts:

Thanks for your fast replies Wired,

I think part of the new dialemma now is what my system is used for, lol, because thats just about everything.

Games are about 50% so that would suggest low timings and high bus speed, but I also do a lot of film/movie editing and file convertions so that suggests more memory capacity. Other than those it's a wash of just about every thing else a computer can be used for !!

I guess the only thing I don't do is advanced graphics / CAD

Hense a continued dialemma, I think until AMD sort this one out I will have to sell my memory and get 2 X 1024 sticks, thats the only compromise that I can see. :!:

I love the look and performance of these 3200XL Pro's , much nicer than my 3200LLPT's , So parting with them won't be an easy thing. :[pouts:

In all the years of tesing PCs (P4 systems only) with the amount of RAM testing as 1gb vs 2gb, I have NEVER found any improvement with 2gb. Also, as I have tested latencies don't play into the video encoding equation. Pure CPU speed is the factor that = faster encoding. So, if you are going to OC any to improve video encoding I'd say go for your highest FSB speed with 2 x 512mb of RAM.

Also, we have run AVID and Photoshop simultaneously and never had an out of memory problem on our editing computers using 2 x 512mb of RAM. Unless you absolutely "NEED" 2gb of RAM, I'd stick with 2 x 512mb of the XL as that is the best combination of latencies and speed you could have for your dual purposes.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Mike.

Yes, specmike's who I was talking about. Thanks for the 411 mike!

Yes thank you for the input.

After some more testing and bench marks today before I came back to the forum I had pretty much come to the same conclusion, lol.

All that happened by putting in the extra 2 X 512 was that my system slowed down in just about every app' and game I use.

So I have reverted back to 2 X 512 of the TwinX 3200XL Pro's.

My other set is now on UK eBay along with my TwinX 1024 3200LLPT

So grab yourselves a bargain :D

Bit of advertising, lol :P

At some point in the future I guess that we will need more ram so the manufactures of CPU's, ram and mobo's will get there heads together and make a full speed 2gb solution, until then I will stick with my 1gb.

Thanks for the advise and input :sunglasse

PS: By the way the best timings that I could get using 4 sticks of the 3200XL pro was 5.3.3.2 at any speed no matter how low (well down to 110mhz anyway, lol) so 4 sticks is definately a bad idea, I'm back to 2 sticks and I have an easy 5.3.3.2 @ 220mhz @ 2.8v without even trying :cool:

Archived