Corsair Community

Fans not spinning on startup on 2nd commander pro.

Hi all,

I've got an issue that I haven't seen a solution to reading around the forum.

I have two commander pro's in my system and the fans connected to the 2nd commander pro will not spin from a cold bootup until I get into windows. The fans from the first commander pro spin from bootup, and all fans are visible and working correctly from iCue. I have tried plugging both USB cables directly into the motherboard as well as daisy chaining and the behaviour is the same. All firmware and software is updated.

So my issue is strictly related to how to get all fans in my system spinning before windows loads.

Secondly, I'll be installing two D5 pumps in this system soon and I have read that they need to be connected to fan port 6, my worry here is that the pump connected to the 2nd commander pro will not work until I am booted into windows.

If I can't find a solution to this, could I use a splitter and control both pumps of fan port 6 on the 1st commander pro will no ill effect? I'll be using an inline temperature sensor as well.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Port 6 is not required for the XD5 or any other pump. It is only needed if you want to use the Corsair Hydro X presets for the pump. That is something you likely can manage on your own.

For the no spin issue... two questions:

1) What is the control variable for the fans on C-Pro #2?

2) What fans are on C-Pro #2?

Thanks for the heads up about the pump.

I've set the fan ports to 4-pin in the "settings" tab of iCue, and I'm using a custom performance curve (pretty much the same curve as on C-Pro #1)

The fans on C-Pro #2 are Arctic P12 PWM PST (same as on the first), and 2x bequiet silent wings (4-pin) for the temporary CPU cooler.

If I swap all fan connections between C-Pro #2 and C-Pro #1, the same behaviour occurs as described in my OP, but now with C-Pro #1, so I don't believe this to be an issue with the fans themselves.

What temp sensor is the basis for the fan control curve on C-Pro #2? The controller requires software to interpret the data it gets via the motherboard (GPU temp, CPU temp, HDD temp, etc.). Without the software running, the expected behavior for a missing sensor value is full speed maximum. The native sensors for the Commander Pro are the temp probes on that specific Commander Pro. C-Pro 2 cannot use C-Pro 1's temp sensors as a native source.

So you should be getting either full speed max from C-Pro 2 on boot or you do have at least one temp probe from C-Pro 2 in place and if so, is that the control source for those fans?

The only situation where you should get a no spin state on boot with C-Pro #2 is if the expected RPM value is 0 rpm on the regular curve. In effect, the last known value was assigned to a 0 rpm state on the curve. (If GPU temp =40C, fan speed 0 rpm).

Keep an eye on the two BeQuiet models. SW2 and SW3 fans typically do not work well on the Corsair controllers. They have some normal quirks to their PWM curve which tend to show up as erratic fan speed. However, off at boot and fine with software is not what is expected. It would be erratic with or without software. If these are powering an air tower, you may want to move them to the motherboard, particularly if this is a temporary arrangement.

It's fine to manually place the settings in 4 pin mode. This is what I normally recommend for people with definite PWM set-ups since it will bypass the unneeded fan power test on boot. However, since your's are acting strange, I wonder what will happen if you put it back on auto? If they spin up and start, that likely means we are looking at some type of PWM/voltage issue and not a control curve dilemma.

Ok I think I've sorted this!

I looks like the issue was manually setting the fans to "4-pin" instead of "auto".

The sensor for both C-Pro's was auto set to "AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x Package #4". I set the 2nd C-Pro to "AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x Package #1", but the startup/restart issue persisted. However changing all ports to auto immediately resolved the issue (or it could be a combination of the above) and all fans are now spinning on startup.

Either way, thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Ah, there is the other missing info... X570 motherboard. We just got cpu temp recognition from CPUID for iCUE for that AMD series. What it does in the absence of that data seems different than other CPU series.

Oddly, you may wish you could go back to this once the full water system is in. Setting PWM fans back to PWM mode will stop the full speed power on later. Do keep an eye on the two cpu cooler fans at present.

Yeah, i casually lumped your TR into that same group because I believe the issue was the same for both platforms. The motherboard itself cannot cause the issue, but the magic question is what value is provided to the Commander Pro in the absence of software? It is 0C? ∞? Some null value - ? The default control variable for the Commander Pro right out of the box is CPU temp. However, since most people with a C-Pro are not running an air tower, it has almost no value in that configuration and I normally recommend you get off that immediately. Your situation is a little different since you are running the air tower fans from it. I don't know that we have much data from other X570 or new TR40 users about what happens in the no-software mode in CPU temp control curve situations. Once you get your water loop in, the fans won't be so critical. You can go a while with zero fan speed and it makes little difference. No so much on an air cooler.

• 1 year later...
i have a similar problem. I also have a second commander, where I attached 2 noctua f14 and one f12. the problem is that when the computer started, a noctua f14 made a small movement and then died. the second commander is not connected to a single sata but a sata which has multiple connections including ssd, i tried to change icue settings from auto to 4 pin nothing i tried to move the connector to another port from pc off and without power but nothing, I forced the update but nothing the fan stays still. then I try to disconnect and change the port from the pc on and the fan has started how can it be I can't understand the problem, if I turn off and start again the fan does not start could someone help me ??

This is going to be a different issue. First, exactly which F12 and F14 are you using? Regular brown/latte? Chromax? Industrial?

Second, pop one of the fans off the Commander and connect it to a MB fan header to see if it spins. I am expecting it to, but obviously if it does not there is a fan problem.