Corsair Community

Help! bad memory stick!

Just bought a pair of CMX512-3200XL (TWINX3200XL) but one stick won't run reliably at auto bios settings. The model and lot number of both sticks is XMS3208v1.2, lot 0504041-1.

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard with a AMD3500+ running at default 2.2 GHz (default bios, FSB 200 x 11). Memory bios settings all default (auto) and showing 2,2,2,5,1T during boot up.

With both sticks installed at the same time, my PC fails the prime95 "torture test" within 1 minute. Using only one stick (in memory slot 1) at a time, one stick runs fine, the other one fails within 1 minute.

I bought this "brand new" from someone else online and am afraid to be stuck with potentially great (it's a big step up from my previous Kingston RAM), but non-functional RAM that I paid a couple hundred $ for :-(

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sebastian

I bought this "brand new" from someone else online and am afraid to be stuck with potentially great (it's a big step up from my previous Kingston RAM), but non-functional RAM that I paid a couple hundred $ for :-(

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/warranty.html

The following parts are not covered by this warranty:

Modules that are missing the label containing Corsair’s part number

Modules that are purchased from other end users

Modules that Corsair determines were not manufactured by Corsair, i.e., counterfeit Corsair modules

You're probably out of luck unfortunately.

You may want to set the RAS to CAS delay to 3, see if that helps.

And with these modules you will need to set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well. Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks, I'll try that. I think I did already but let me give it another shot.

Yes, I saw the corsair warranty terms with the implication I'm not covered as a second-hand owner. Just out of curiousity, why doesn't corsair cover their product irrespective of who owns it? It seems to me as soon as the RAM goes out their door they don't have control over how it's being handled anyway, whether it's in the hand's of a first-hand buyer or a second-hand buyer. It is the PRODUCT that has lifetime quality guarantee, right?, not the USER. That would make sense to me. My $0.02.

I guess I have no choice but to go back to my Kingston RAM :-(

Sebastian

Tried your suggestions to run stress test with relaxed timings and up the DIMM voltage to 2.8V. Still no luck. Prime95 fails within one minute for the bad stick. I didn't have memstest86 and I was out over the weekend so I'll download memstest86 today and try it tonight. But I have little hope that will get me better results if the prime95 fails so fast. Again, the other stick runs like a train with no stopping (I had it up to 250Mhz at 2.5 3 3 6 !) so the difference in performance is quite obvious.

I tried a lot of different settings but at this point I have little hope of getting this stick working properly.

How do I proceed from here? Help please!

Thanks,

Sebastiaan

• Corsair Employees
Please try your reseller first and see if they will help you get them replaced. If not please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Please try your reseller first and see if they will help you get them replaced. If not please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

If it's all the same to you I'll probably go straight to the link; the reseller is on the east coast, it'll take a week to get there and then they have to send it right back here to your company (and then back and forth again for the replacement). All the while while I'm (almost) just down the street here in San Jose, CA.

Thanks!

Sebastiaan

Archived