Corsair Community

Faulty XMS Stick?

JoBoo

Hello,

I think I've got one back stick out of a pair of CMX512-3200C2. I'm attempting a new install of XP on a new PC. Booting from the CD hangs the installer at the same few points depending on a few circumstances. If I have both sticks installed, it'll make it to the part where you can create/delete a partition. Attempting to do so resutls in a "Windows has detected a problem and has stopped, etc..." If I have just the suspected faulty stick installed it doesn't even make it that far. The installer hangs almost immediately, resulting in a "Error loading filesetupdd.sys, please restart..., error code 7"

When installing the other chip by itself (the apparently good stick) the install works just fine, no hiccups at all. Rearranging slot order did nothing to fix the problem either.

System Info:

Amd 64 2800 CPU (1.8Ghz)

Asus K8N Mobo/ 800 Mhz system bus/ on compatibility list for this memory

All BIOS settings are set to default. Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Gary

• Corsair Employees

Gary,

Please try these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

If you do get errors with that module then I have no problem replacing them, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks for info. I ran memtest on both modules one at a time yesterday and the suspected faulty stick made it through the first four tests, then completely fell apart starting with test #5 and continued to fail each test thereafter. Changing the 2T setting didn't appear to have any effect.

Thanks for taking the time to resond,

Gary

Archived