Corsair Community

A tale of memories

Redredred

Asus A7N8X E Deluxe with AMD XP3200+ Barton

With this board I had months of memory hassles. I followed the recommended modules from the Asus site module/die number for exact die number.

I tried:

2 x 512mb sticks of Samsung not a twin pack

2 x 512mb sticks of Crucial (twin pack)

2 x 512mb sticks (singles),+ 2 twin packs Cosair CMX512-3200C2 platinum (4 sticks)

1 x 512mb no name cheapo, (which worked suprisingly well)

Hassle after hassle after hassle.

A lot of messing and RMA-ing later I gave it one last chance with an OCZ twin pack EL

Now I have the working pc I set out to build last September.

No messing with timings, voltages, speed ratings, no manual settings needed at all. Everything stock, and running like a dream. 14 hours or Prime 95 torture test until I got bored and switched it off. Rock solid. And OCZ arent on the recommended Asus list.

Why did I have to spend so much time, so many settings and so many RMAs with Corsair?

Sorry, you lost my faith.

If memory from 4 different manufacturers had problems, I wouldn't point fingers so quickly.

What BIOS revision do you have? What is the exact part # (or whatever is on their label) of the OCZ stuff? Are all of your BIOS settings # default? What timings are they set? What's your FSB set to currently?

I thought I might provoke a competative response. I didnt intend to offend or bad mouth any one, i just felt the need to pass on my experience.

Since you asked I looked at the settings my mobo is using. ALL of which are auto set and totally stock. I have no need to overclock, I just require solidity.

The memory is OCZ4001024ELDC-K

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel

The mobo BIOS rev is 1011

Settings are as follows

cpu freq ...200mhz

auto multiple 11x

system performance...auto

memory freq...auto

active pre. delay..6

ras to cas delay...3

ras precharge......2

cas latency.........2

cpu core............1.650

ddr ref voltage....2.6

42 degree cpu 24 degree mobo

All completely auto and untampered with. So far 8 days without a single hiccup, whereas all the other memories barely went a day without crashing, locking up, rebooting or throwing up a lot of stop errors.

Regards

That's really odd, the TwinX1024-3200C2 v5.1s should work fine, with the following settings:

active pre. delay..6

ras to cas delay...3

ras precharge......3

cas latency.........2.5

cpu core............1.650

ddr ref voltage....2.8

If not, then OCZ's placed a curse on all other memory that is meant for your system lol! That's just inexplicable that 10 sticks from 4 manufacturers won't work, but those will. Could always try the 1.013 BIOS though.

A point I tried to make was that with OCZ I had no need to make any setting adjustments, EVERYTHING was automatic. Certainly with the Crucial and the Corsair I had to manually set to recommendations I found in several forums as well as this one, inc your last suggestion. And still after running stock and manual settings I could not gain stability.

My apologies to anyone I may have upset.

Regards

They probably have their timings set to 2-3-2-6 in their SPD chip, that's all. The 3200LLs have the same timings and have their SPD set like that as well. Dunno why the 3200C2s have theirs set to the JEDEC spec of 3-3-3-8, but they do.

• 2 weeks later...
Asus A7N8X E Deluxe with AMD XP3200+ Barton

With this board I had months of memory hassles. I followed the recommended modules from the Asus site module/die number for exact die number.

I tried:

2 x 512mb sticks of Samsung not a twin pack

2 x 512mb sticks of XXXXXX (twin pack)

2 x 512mb sticks (singles),+ 2 twin packs Cosair CMX512-3200C2 platinum (4 sticks)

1 x 512mb no name cheapo, (which worked suprisingly well)

Hassle after hassle after hassle.

A lot of messing and RMA-ing later I gave it one last chance with an XXX twin pack EL

Now I have the working pc I set out to build last September.

No messing with timings, voltages, speed ratings, no manual settings needed at all. Everything stock, and running like a dream. 14 hours or Prime 95 torture test until I got bored and switched it off. Rock solid. And XXX arent on the recommended Asus list.

Why did I have to spend so much time, so many settings and so many RMAs with Corsair?

Sorry, you lost my faith.

Look I just got this mobo A7N8X and it works for me like a dream and can over clock like you don,t know. As you can see my sginure w/ the 3200 C2 pro at 2.7 votelove the led lites . I have not hzds. or any trouble at all. Switch from a msi delta l Had problems w/ this mobo alot over clocking was hard but it can be done. sorry for your trouble w/yours but mine is sweet home made case mods/ w fans :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I have 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well. I would take a look at http://www.asusforums.org as well in the AMD section.

Archived