Corsair Community

A8V Deluxe and 4 X CMX512-3200XLPRO not booting up.

rediwill

I have a Asus A8V Deluxe MB, 4 sticks of CMX512-3200XLPRO memory. This RAM is not on the MB compatibility list for this MB. My fault for not checking.

The manual says you can have 1 stick, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM on the MB. However, if I put all 4 of my RAM sticks in the system turns on the LEDS flicker for a bit and then stop. The monitor doesn't get any signal at all. The mother board has 4 slot for RAM to the right of the CPU. DIMMA1, DIMMA2, DIMMB1, DIMMB2. The manual says to install 4 identical DIMMS in all 4 sockets. This isn't working for me. I tried to get something to work and I got a stick or RAM in DIMMB1 and DIMMB2 and it works. This is with default bios version 1009. I have been playing lots of high end games with this setup and have had no problems. I have a radeon 9800XT card and a AZZA 450W PSU. I really want to get the other 2 sticks to work. I will try what was posted in another thread about setting the timing to 3338 and 333hz to see if that works. I understand the RAM I have is not the correct kind I should have but thought there may be new info on how to get it to work. Thanks for any help I get.

Red

I wanted to add the ram details incase you needed them.

All 4 sticks of RAM are CMX512-3200XLPRO, XMS3208v1.1, 0426092-1. I do have another set of the same ram but the last number is 0434018-3. I am not sure if that number even means anything but I wanted to list it as well.

RED

THanks for the input and here are the answers to your questions.

The computer is running fine with 2 dimms in but not in the correct sockets according to the documentation. I should have them in DIMMA1 and DIMMA2 but the machine doesnt want to boot that way. I don't know why that is. I have been playing COH SWG and Matrix fine with that setup. I just wanted to get the other two slots filled with ram I spent money on. Ok, I set the latency times to 3338 and ddr333hz and DIMM vol at 2.8. The box is running fine with the same setup. I will now try to add the other two dimms. Also, I can use any two of my 6 dimms that are all the same and the machine works fine in the current config. I did a memtest on the ram and nothing seems to be wrong. I will memtest longer to make sure later. Will post results in a few mins.

The computer turns on.

Each RAM that I got has two small rows of LEDs running down it.

When I turn the comp on all the rows start to light up except the DIMMA1 left row. The right row lights up. Not sure if this is a sign of anything.

After about 5-7 seconds the DIMMS LEDs stop lighting up and only the top most green LED stays lit up. They turn off in order A1, A2, B1, B2.

I get no signal at the monitor. Maybe I need more power? I got 450w but maybe I need more? I got a DVD, two EIDE HD and a soundcard and9800xt radeon vid card. Thats it. I don't know what else to do. When I sent a help request to ASUS they replied to buy the correct RAM in the documentation. hmmm.

Any more suggestions? Anyone up for some phone support? lol

RED

I will start to test each RAM stick using the B1 slot as per documentation. Results comming ASAP.

Results using memtest 200% coverage

stick1 OK

stick2 OK

stick3 OK

stick4 OK

stick5 OK

stick6 OK

Not sure if doing 200% coverage is long enough.Says to let it run for 20mins but 200% takes around 5 mins. If nothing else helps Ill do it for 20 mins to be 1000% sure.

Another thing that was strange is that I could only get dual channel configuration to work if I used the Black sockets A2 and B2. The documentation says to use A1 and B1. Not sure if this is a documentation error or my MOBO is bad. Maybe I got a bad A1 socket? B1 works if I put DIMS in B1 and B2 but this is not per documentation. Still testing RAM. Done soon.

RED

I was looking thru the asus help posts and saw one for a guy trying to get 4 sticks of ddr400 ram to work in the same MB. He said the MB would change the settings to 333hz when he booted for some reason. The asus tech replied that it was a safeguard for the MB if it saw a problem. The asus tech said to set the memory to 200mhz. Doing that will really kill the performance of the memory. I did some benchmarks and it is pretty sad. I ordered two sata HD to help with my game performance but Iwish the RAM issue would get resolved. I am not sure if asus will even let me send the MB back unless I use 4 sticks of the ram in their documentation. I guess I could sell my ram on ebay and get 2 1gig sticks. Oh well.

Is running 4 sticks at 333 better than 2 at 400? The reason I ask is that since I can't get my dual channel to work right because I get hangs when I bench test it though the DIMMS are in the wrong slots black instead of blue. I can benchtest it with the dimms in slots b1 and b2 and everything is fine. I can run the two sticks at 400 and the settings at 2225 and 2.8v. I think this is my best option unless I change or replace my board. I saw a few 939 boards that are AGP for under 100$. However I got a big cooler fan on my cpu that will hit the dimms on most of them. The asus a8v has the cpu a littl emore to the left of the dimms than most. I did see a few MB that have the dimms above the cpu but they lack the raid I want since I bought two sata HD. LOL I am in a fix. I am not sure going through the trouble to fix this is worth it. lol I just saw that my memory usage was in the 90%s when I played Matrix online and wanted to try to help it out. I am sure the sata HD in raid will help alot. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you got anymore ideas.

I've got a Zalman 7000B (I think that's it) on that board, memory fits close, but fine. Nice temps too. I think B1 & B2 is only single channel. May want to try to RMA the motherboard, or try another pair of the XLs, just to make sure it isn't the memory.

the PSU is 18A under the +12V in the chart but I hope i am reading it right.

I have the latest bios on the asus website. I will check to see if there are any beta versions after ver1009. Upgrading the PSU will be alot easier than RMA the MBO so I will try that this week if the bios dont work.

RED

Archived