Corsair Community

Vt7 4 banks of Corsair 256MB

darkenfo

Ok here is the problem I'm having, please point me to some solutions i can try.

I have a Prescott 3.0 on an ABIT VT7 rev 2.0 board running pheonix bios version 14. I am using 4 sticks of Corsair value ram PC3200 256MB. I am running a Geforce 5200FX 128MB. When running WOW or CS source i get memory errors such as "reference memory can't be read" or something like that. When not running these programs I will get random resets, I will get these resets while in these games also. Sometimes I get an "IRQL" bluescreen which may be attributing to the resets, but I don't know.

I've switched the RAM voltage to 2.7 but I don't know the timings I am supposed to use for the RAM and I can't locate where i can change them in the Pheonix BIOS. I've tried duel channel and single channel, i've tried hyperthreading, no HT, i've replaced my powersupply as well as made sure all my drivers are up to date. The only thing I havn't tried is changing my video card. What else can I try before I try another video card, and does it sound like RAM or my video card? Any help or threads to read would be greatly appriciated. thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

ok i can the memtest and found errors. So now i just need to run it with each stick individually to find out which stick (or sticks) are bad. So i guess i'll have to file an RMA. thanks for the help RAM GUY and i really do hope this fixes the problems i've been having.

OK ram guy, this is bewildering to me and please let me know what i can do. Last night I ran Memtest with all the modules loaded I recieved errors mainly during test 8. This morning I ran the memtest on each individual stick and got no errors, so I took one of the sticks and ran the memtest in each slot, again no errors. So it appears that I only get errors with combined sticks. How should i go about troubleshooting that?

Or have you heard of any problems with the Corsair VS256MB400c3 and the VT7? I really am lost at what else to try. Thanks.

PSU? Is that Power supply? I had an old one that i replaced due to these problems, i am now using an Antec 350 watt.

Update: After putting my memory back in different DIMM slots then orignially I have not had any resets. Do you think I was just lucky today, or can that actually fix the problem?

Time will tell, please let us know if you have any more problems.

Well I just had another reset after being problem free since that post. If moving the RAM between slots fixes the problem for a while but it comes back, would this be more typical of a bad DIMM slot or some kind of RAM issue. Is there more information that you need to help me diagnose this issue?

Archived