Corsair Community

Probs with TWINX CMX256

Skinnyboy

Greetings all.

Some time ago, my PC started throwing up random BSOD. There didn't appear to be any consistency with them and could vary from one every few days to 5-6 times in a row just trying to boot up Windows. I have even had the odd BSOD whilst installing Windows. System specs as follows:-

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR

AMD XP2500+

TWINX CMX256A-2700LLPT (512MB Dual channel kit)

CMX512-2700LLPT

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB

Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

80 Gig Maxtor SATA HD

80 Gig Western Digital IDE HD

Antec True Power 430WATT

Windows XP Pro with SP2

Silly case with led fans and neon tube......

The PC is not overclocked. The problem originated when I just had the 2 TWINX sticks and I ran Memtest for several hours with both sticks in and it showed no errors. I have since then been searching for other sources of the problem. A tech friend of mine analysed the last dump file that was saved following the crash which apparently pointed towards memory problems. I then ran Memtest on each stick independantly and I received an error on one of the sticks of 256.

Test 8, Pass 6, Failing address 000086067e0 - 134.3MB, Good 00000000, Bad 00000400, Err - Bits 00000400 Count 1.

Does the above info point towards a corrupt stick of memory or do you have any suggestions I should try? The memory is approx 13 months old however, I appear to have misplaced my receipt from http://www.overclockers.co.uk where I purchase most of my parts - would I still need to contact them if the memory is at fault?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance on this.

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings and test the suspect module with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

If the module still gives errors then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if it passes please try the modules in dual channel to be sure.

Hmm the plot thickens. I set the BIOS to the settings suggested and retested the stick that originally threw the error on Memtest - nothing found after nearly 60 test runs. Thinking the settings may have been causing the errors, I reinstalled all the ram sticks and yup, BSOD after about 5 mins use :mad: .

When I found the original error on the 256MB stick, I had been running my machine with the stick of 512 and the other 256MB stick - no crashes for the past couple of days.

My board has 3 ram slots - 1 & 3 are designed to run dual channel - could the way I have the ram installed be causing this? Currently set as follows - slot 1 256 stick, slot 2 512 stick, slot 3 256 stick.

My module numbers are:-

1x512MB

CMX512-2700LLPT

XMS2705v1.1

0416077-3

2x256MB TWINX

CMX256A-2700LLPT

XMS2705v2.2

Thanks again for your help on this.

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR

AMD XP2500+ (333 MHz FSB)

TWINX512-2700LLPT XMS2705 v2.2 Lot # 0406098

CMX512-2700LLPT XMS2705 v1.1 Lot # 0416077-3

Antec True Power 430WATT

Skinnyboy has stated he has used the timings you suggested.

Skinnyboy, are you testing one stick at a time, or testing them together? It's best to test one at a time, and to test at least one stick (I'd use the CMX512-2700LLPTv2.2) in all 3 slots so as to make sure the slots are fine.

Cheers for the response peeps - I'll try the suggestion by Wired but I feel one of my sticks of 256 is buggered - I've ran my pc again for the past couple of days without it and no crashes at all. As soon As I've tested the 512 module on all slots, and as long as no errors occurr, I'll follow the link on Ramguys sig.

One last question, if I do need to send my ram back, do I send both TWINX modules back since they were a matched pair?

My humble thanks again - best help forum I've come across.

Note: Fill out the RMA form for

Module Part Number: TwinX512-2700LL

Module Quantity: 1

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I Think I Have a Bad Part. What Do I Do?

The RMA request can be made three ways:

A link to our online form can be found here. Complete the form, and submit it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

OR you can print the PDF version and fax it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

An editable Excel version can be found here. Complete the form and email it to RMA@corsairmemory.com. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

You can also call them @ 1-888-222-4346.

There is currently only the USA address to RMA to. You may want to contact your reseller, as all of Corsair's overseas distributors are set up to handle RMAs. If your reseller refuses, or does not know about their distributor's capabilities, contact Corsair's Customer Service Dept. and they can find out whom your reseller's distributor is and help you out with the process.

Hmmm getting the following error when trying to sumbit the RMA

Form could not be processed due to the following errors

No referer.:

I assume this to mean the ticket# / post ID# - I entered this as 182297 as that was the post number of my original post - is this correct?

I put that as 182297 and also tried #182297 - this was the post number of my initial post - have I entered the wrong thing here?

I made sure every box with a red * next to it was filled - as well as most of the optional boxes.

The RMA request can be made three ways:

A link to our online form can be found here. Complete the form, and submit it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

OR you can print the PDF version and fax it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

An editable Excel version can be found here. Complete the form and email it to RMA@corsairmemory.com. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

You can also call them @ 1-888-222-4346, and you can just email them normally with the info that the RMA form has. All that form does is to send a server side email to them.

Archived