Corsair Community

K95 Different Models

Kaasan12047

Hello

I'm a Gamer's Mom with a disgruntled son. For Christmas his only wish was for "Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - 6x Programmable Macro Keys - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Tactile & Quiet - Cherry MX Brown – RGB LED Backlit". He'd copied and Pasted the description from Amazon but didn't give me a Model #. It sells for $189 but the descriptionis from 2017 (Turns out that Model # is CH-9127012-NA). I saw a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical Keyboard on sale at Best Buy for $129 (Model #CH-8127014-NA). Guess which one I bought 🙄. Today is Christmas and he's mad I bought the "wrong one!". He wants the one with "the brown switches". Before I buy the 2017 K95 from Amazon, is there a newer version with "brown switches"? or should I stop trying and just get the Amazon version? He's running on a Windows 7 Platform (won't use 10).

The keyboards were created at the same time and are identical, other than the underlying switch type. The xxx12 model he wanted has Cherry Brown switches that have a higher level of resistance when you push them and require deliberate force. The xxx14 model has Cherry Red that are linear in the force required and go down more easily. This may have been screamed at some point during the day. It sounds trivial, but it is one of those 'feel things' most people have a definite opinion about and it takes some adjusting to go from one to the other.

You want the CH-9127012-NA "Cherry Brown" version. $189 is not a good price. You should be able to find this for the same as what you paid at BB and both keyboards normally sell for about the same price. However, as I scan for it across the usual retailers, I see a clear bump in price for all models. This is typical post holiday with depleted supplies. The Cherry Red/Speed models are more prevalent and more often sold at greater discount. The normal range for both keyboards has been $129 (sale) to $149 (normal) across the last year or so.

So you have now identified the one he wants, but the timing is less than optimal. I guess you have to decide if you are going to be Super Mom or if he will survive another 2 weeks until supply and cost balance out a bit. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees for that. Sorry.