Corsair Community

iCUE Phones Home and All Over the Place

AVDM

I have a K55 keyboard and a Sabre mouse and I'm keen to know why the Corsair software phones home? Whenever I start up or wake my PC iCUE.exe contacts 23.54.159.59 and 2.21.98.50 and 92.122.154.80 and 104.86.111.41 and one or two more. I don't see the need for my mouse and keyboard to phone home, let alone so extensively so I'm inclined to have my firewall block that but then it bangs its head against the wall, making over 150 attempts each time.

Could someone tell me what's up with that?

I seem to recall it didn't always do this so could I downgrade to a previous version? And if so, which one? I'm an old guy and I don't need the latest gaming functionality. I just need the great tactility, shortcuts, adjustability and reliability of the Corsair equipment.

I looked up who owns those IP addresses and they all come up with "Akamai Technologies". A quick Google reveals the following:

Akamai is a content delivery network, one of the world's largest distributed computing platforms, responsible for serving between 15% and 30% of all web traffic. Content delivery networks provide a globally-distributed network of proxy servers which cache content, such as web videos or other bulky media, more locally to consumers, thus improving access speed for downloading the content.

Akamai delivers web content over its Intelligent Platform by transparently mirroring elements such as HTML, CSS, software downloads, and media objects from customers' servers. The Akamai server is automatically picked depending on the type of content and the user's network location. Receiving content from an Akamai server close to the user allows for faster download times and less vulnerability to network congestion. For example

User types

1. a URL from his browser
  2. A DNS request is made, i.e. browser expects an IP address in exchange for the URL of the website
  3. The browser then needs to contact the server with an IP address; this browser can be in China, US… anywhere in the world
  4. CDN copies this data in strategic geographical locations around the world
  5. With CDN instead of a standard hosting, the browser will call for the Edge Server included in the CDN network, nearer to the end-user. Instead of calling for the server which is further away, e.g. it will take data from US rather than China if you are making this request from US
  6. Sometimes, CDNs will contact the idle server, instead – but always return the best possible IP address

If the content can’t be found in the Edge Server cache, the edge server sends request to the Origin Server to retrieve this information.

Are you sure it is Corsair software making these requests?

Edited by BlaiseP

Likely checking for updates. Because it's blocked, it can't do it. So it keeps trying.

Outside of the update check, iCUE doesn't "phone home".

Thanks @DevBiker, that's useful to know.

Is there any way to disable automatic updates? Can't find that. Experience has taught me that once a thing is working reliably and well to my full satisfaction, I should maintain the status quo. In this instance reliability trumps any new feature Corsair might add.