Jump to content
Corsair Community

Bad CMX512 - 3200LLPT


turtle_07

Recommended Posts

I'm posting here in the hopes of getting one of them newfangled return numbers so that I can replace it. I guess I'll tell a short story.

 

I discover strangely enough that my computer is running at 1.2 gigahertz (with a pentium 4 2.4 gigahert processor... this is an abit ic7-g by the way). I hop into the bios, wonder why the FSB was set to half the speed, clock it up to full and I boot back up. MASSIVE INSTABILITIES, changing back to 1.2 gigahertz made it work fine. I got a memtest86 bootable disk, clocked up the fsb again to normal speed and ran the test.

 

I ran it first with both sticks (totall over 130 errors) and then with one stick each. The first stick had about 100, the second about 30 (give or take). I get some different ram to try and my computer works perfectly fine.

 

That's my story.

 

Edit: So I give them my post number when I register for the RMA... should I just sit tight for a little bit for ya'll to make sure that my problem is real or should I just send it in right now?

 

Edit2: What's the safest way that I can send my ram back? I don't really want to just throw it into a box... do they sell cheap static guard plastic or something somewhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsair Employees
What you have posted would suggest some other problem; it would be unlikely you have 2 bad modules from us as they are all tested on a MB at their rated speed. Can you test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would load setup defaults in the bios and set the dim voltage to 2.7 Volts. If you still get errors I would test the modules on another system if you can.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I tested the voltage was (and still is) at 2.7. Perhaps I should have added this, when I found the instabilities I assumed that maybe there was another option that I hadn't messed with that would cause the instabilities (I don't really know much about overclocking... or underclocking) so I reset the defaults. The only thing that I changed from the defaults was disabling raid, the onboard sound, and making it possible to boot from my SATA hard drive.

 

Maybe it wasn't that clear in my first post, I did test them both together and then one at a time. 100 errors on one module and 30 on another (give it take)

 

I tried some different ram and ran memtest with the exact same mobo defaults and got 0 errors.

 

Edit: I don't really have another computer to test this one. The only other computer in the house is currently running PC133 ram.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...