Corsair Community

3 of same sticks not working

toxikneedle

Hello, I have a problem. I have a 512mb stick (CMX512-3200C2). I bought a twinx pack of two exactly the same sticks CMX512-3200C2. My mobo has 3 slots so I had 3 sticks all the in there. For some reason when I boot up my PC freezes, sometimes right away, sometimes after I login to windows. I tried switching the slots and even seperating the ram, whenever there is only 2 sticks, it works, 3 never works. I even tried upping the volt to 2.8, and still nothing. I need help, I need to know if there's anything I can do, or should I sell one of the 512s.

My comp:

AMD64 3200+ Clawhammer

Albatron K8X800 Pro

420W PSU

I think it should work, but you might be forced to run 3 modules at DDR333 instead of DDR400.

Also, you should go into BIOS with 2 modules installed and change the memory settings, then put the third one in and see if that helps.

Try...

CAS - 2.5T

RAS to CAS Delay - 3

Row Precharge - 3

Cycle Time (tRAS) - 7

With 2.8 as your VDimm. If that doesn't help, try 3-4-4-8 on the timings.

You should also check on your memory modules to see if you have different revisions of the modules. That might contribute to their lack of compatibility.

How To Read The Memory Label.

PLUR

CK

Well, with my experience (limited as it may be) I think CAS 2 at DDR333 would still be a lot slower than CAS 3 at DDR400 because you're running them 33MHz faster at DDR400 than you are at DDR333 which is quite a bit when it really comes down to it.

However, if you're running programs that are actually using up that much memory, then DDR333 is still faster than your page file on the HDD.

So it depends what you need, but if you're gaming, then the 1Gb / DDR400 option is probably a better idea than DDR333. I play a bit of DOOM 3 and UT2K4, etc, but nothing actually uses all of my 1GB of memory, so I stay with 1GB, DDR400 with low latencies instead of trying to add more.

PLUR

CK

Archived