Corsair Community

maybe bad ram

hello ram guy.. i am a corsair user .. and up until a few weeks ago the ram i had worked great so i thought.. i would have random lock ups and restarts for no reason... then i replaced the motherboard with a dfi nforce 4 sli dr motherboard and well the problem got worse so i called dfi and we got my system to atleast boot in dual channel. while running prime 95 i notice it would error out at the same point in dual channel mood in single channel it would not.. i was thinking of changing ram or could i have this ram i have now rmaed it sucks that i bought a dual channel kit and i have to run single channel .. i also tried uping the voltage to 2.7 and still no fix i cant tell which stick is bad cause they never miss behave alone.but i did notice with the second stick in i get bsod .. please help as my wife will kill me if i have to spend anymore money trying to get this fixed

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the exact model# of your memory module; along with the CPU speed, and its FSB as well? In addition, please tell me if you have the latest BIOS installed on your system and the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

well my ram is the corsair xms pro series c2 pc3200. version 4.1 my motherboard is the dfi nforce 4 sli-dr . my cpu is the amd 64 3000+

all settings are stock and on auto because i get bsod when ever i run it in dual channel. i updated the bios to the 3/10/05 i do not run performance settings cause i get bsod's aslo

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200C2

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55

CPU VID Control: 1.55

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

ok ram guy i did what you said to do ... they ram stick passed memtest on three passes but the minute i put the second stick in it blue screened ...whats up with that. futher more i cant pass a prime 95 test while in dual channel with the memory but in single channel i can .. did i get to different sticks of memory that werent ment to be a pair some how?

i did it like yesterday morning

then i ram a long memtest and really found the errors... so now i want the crap gone !!!!! please .... its been giving me hell for 3 weeks now! i blamed everything but it at first .

• Corsair Employee
Please send us an email (rma@corsairmemory.com or warranty@corsairmemory.com) with a copy of the (http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls.) Form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com. If after 1 day or 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays, you do not get the rma please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

1. Corsair cannot give you a refund as they did not sell you the memory.

2. Fill out the RMA form again manually via email in case the online form did not work. It's a precaution.

3. If they work in single channel just fine and they are both of the same revision, most likely it isn't the memory. Could be a bad slot, or could be a setting. With that board and the memory in slots 1 and 3, it has to be set to 2T. In slots 2 and 4, 1T can be used.

no . im not blaming this on any other part because it had the same problem isnt a totally different computer. ive been chasing this problem for a month now. and now that ive gotten 5 errors on memtest i can honestly say its the memory.. i get blue screens when its in dual channel why is it that compaines refuse to see the flaws and wanna place blame on the other parts. i would say that would be true if this is the same board that i started with but it isnt this is the 5 board same ram . different psu ... now how can you tell me that same bad ram slot followed me to this board . how can you tell me that that same ram bad ram slot followed me to my intel system .... no one wants to keep dealing with this when the company got paid for it . this makes the corsair name look bad ... ill take pictures of my memtest and send them in if thats how its gunna be ... or will we find more scape goats to blame! :mad:

i get blue screens when its in dual channel why is it that compaines refuse to see the flaws and wanna place blame on the other parts. i would say that would be true if this is the same board that i started with but it isnt this is the 5 board same ram . different psu ... now how can you tell me that same bad ram slot followed me to this board . how can you tell me that that same ram bad ram slot followed me to my intel system .... no one wants to keep dealing with this when the company got paid for it . this makes the corsair name look bad ... ill take pictures of my memtest and send them in if thats how its gunna be ... or will we find more scape goats to blame! :mad:

I said it COULD be a bad slot, or it COULD be a bad setting. Never said it wasn't the memory, however since it works in single channel, that does mean that the memory's ok IMHO, as memory can't tell the difference between when it is being run in single and dual channel because that is a property of the memory controller and not the memory itself. I offered those setting changes because they aren't exactly well known about that board (even though it's clearly stated on page 21 of the manual).

Either way, it doesn't matter, as Corsair has already approved your RMA.

ok if i run this memtest in single channel and i get errors there also .. im gunna be pretty angry .. cause what you or anyone else doesnt understand is it not just fromt his board alone. if from a intel system and 5 other amd boards. so how can you blame all the ram slots. one night i came home and my msi sli board wouldnt start at all. and thats a dang msi motherboard. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Archived