Corsair Community

Help | Buzzing / Humming sound H100i V2 Extreme Pump

gothicaholic

H100i V2 Extreme.

Had this AIO for a year and a half now more or less.

Today I noticed a low humming / buzzing sound coming from possibly the pump (Cant tell if its the pump or some electrical buzzing coming from the CPU.)

this buzzing only appears while I am tabbed into a game like Forza Horizon 4 or Battlefield V but as soon as I alt tab or close the game the buzzing stops instantly, when I try and stress test the CPU, buzzing doesnt not happen at all.

CPU_FAN set to fixed 80% PWM, Was happening on fixed 100% PWM as well. 8700k set to stable 4.7 1.25 OC and dropping frequency and voltage did not help so I believe it is coming from the pump.

Worth mentioning that I did not notice any overheating or any downclocks on the CPU.

Also tried to set the case on the side and let the pump run for a good 30 minutes and it didnt help.

worth to note that the buzzing comes in seems to be fixed cycles, thought it could be PWM causing it but it is just constant on DC.

You can hear it in the video.

[ame]

[/ame]

P.S. - I know its dusty, Cleaned it a week ago, hate the dust in my country.

Edited by gothicaholic

You most likely are looking at coil whine from the GPU. The CPU pump does not care if you are at load, gaming, or the desktop -- the pump speed and current flow do not change. However, the GPU behavior most certainly does as you tab back and forth from desktop to full screen.

Specifically for the H100i v2, you really need to put the CPU Fan header (or whatever is powering the cooler) to Full Speed (Qfan EZ BIOS) or "Disabled" (Adv. BIOS). Both of those lock the power at 100% and prevent other Asus BIOS features from changing things. Set to PWM 80%, it still should deliver 12v all the time, but it is possible the BIOS may try to tune it (unsuccessfully) when you run the BIOS fan tuner or other features. The cooler lacks the necessary PWM control wire to operate the pump this way and you should always use the iCUE/Link software to adjust fan or pump speeds. Using the fan control to slide the voltage down is like turning down a dimmer on the entire cooler, pump and fans. That will not do your lifespan any favors.

Edited by c-attack

You most likely are looking at coil whine from the GPU.

First of all,thank you for the detailed answer,I am very inexperienced with Corsair AIOs.

As for the coil whine, I thought about it but the sound is coming from the pump itself,I guess I will try re seating the GPU tomorrow.

and as for the PWM,I do have iCUE installed and I did have the CPU_FAN set to 100% up until today, Ill put it back to 100%.

Edited by gothicaholic

Possible cooler, CPU, GPU are playing off each other in the electrical loop, but it would be rather unusual. "Buzzing" is usually an electrical issue versus the "clicks and ticks" you get from a pump flow issue. Bubbles often sound like hard drive clicks or static. I can hear the pump underneath, but there definitely is a top layer of electrical noise that is not a flow issue - whatever its origin.

Try running a CPU only test like Intel XTU, AIDA, CPU-Z Bench, etc. to create motherboard capacitor load + normal pump action. That should cut the GPU out. Still there? Quiet?

Try running a CPU only test like Intel XTU, AIDA, CPU-Z Bench, etc. to create motherboard capacitor load + normal pump action. That should cut the GPU out. Still there? Quiet?

I kept trying to run CPU-Z Stress test but not bench, buzzing goes away, I still thought it would be the pump cause the noise was really coming from it but the more I started listening to the GPU, I realized it is coming from there.

I do hear ticks and clicks while the GPU is under stress and it seems to be coming from the GPU as well, I guess I will return it to the store tomorrow as it is still under warranty.

About the electrical noise, I come from electronics engineering and thats why I got worried, sounds like this usually come from microchips that are very very unstable, I tried lowering the OC on my CPU and disabling it all in all, still the buzzing would come only when GPU would hit about 50% usage in GPU heavy games,guess its the GPU chips or capacitors giving up, although funnily enough I have not noticed a single performance drop. Hopefully I will get a replacement as I bought it from a retailer in my country that usually replaces the GPUs all in all.

If you have relatively painless GPU replacement options, you can try. However, be warned the overwhelming majority of GPUs will buzz/hum under load regardless of brand. That is always a rude awakening for who go to a full water cooled GPU and suddenly become aware of what was once buried under fan noise. If it’s truly loud, probably worth the effort, but keep expectations in check.

If you have relatively painless GPU replacement options, you can try. However, be warned the overwhelming majority of GPUs will buzz/hum under load regardless of brand. That is always a rude awakening for who go to a full water cooled GPU and suddenly become aware of what was once buried under fan noise. If it’s truly loud, probably worth the effort, but keep expectations in check.

Well the thing is I had this GPU for a little above 1.5 years and it never did that up till last Friday, I am very sensitive to such things and I notice them right away. Thats why I am suspecting the GPU to be on its way out of this world but as you said, Ill keep exceptions in check, Thanks for the replies.

You most likely are looking at coil whine from the GPU. The CPU pump does not care if you are at load, gaming, or the desktop -- the pump speed and current flow do not change. However, the GPU behavior most certainly does as you tab back and forth from desktop to full screen.

Specifically for the H100i v2, you really need to put the CPU Fan header (or whatever is powering the cooler) to Full Speed (Qfan EZ BIOS) or "Disabled" (Adv. BIOS). Both of those lock the power at 100% and prevent other Asus BIOS features from changing things. Set to PWM 80%, it still should deliver 12v all the time, but it is possible the BIOS may try to tune it (unsuccessfully) when you run the BIOS fan tuner or other features. The cooler lacks the necessary PWM control wire to operate the pump this way and you should always use the iCUE/Link software to adjust fan or pump speeds. Using the fan control to slide the voltage down is like turning down a dimmer on the entire cooler, pump and fans. That will not do your lifespan any favors.

Okay so after more checks and GPU check at the shop, I found out where the sound is coming from - the CPU Socket / Pump, what could it be essentially? I need this computer for work and giving it away for a week and a half is not really an option for me, could it be the pump itself or some electrical buzz coming from CPU Socket / CPU?

http:// https://imgur.com/gallery/a3LH6RA

What is this black stuff around my CPU? Could it be the thermal paste and it damaged my motherboard so its making this noise now due to an electric failure?

Edited by gothicaholic

I can't quite tell from the photo. Part of the CPU holding bracket? Either way, the CPU cannot make noise since it lacks the necessary components to do so. It has to come from something generating or converting power from one type to another (PSU, GPU, motherboard, pump).