Chaintech FX5500 256Mb AGP Video Card

BenQ 1610 CD/DVD Burner

ASUS WIFI-G Card

CPU fan

80mm case fan

350 Watt Power Supply-stock w/SOYO Case

Ultra 512MB 3200PC 400MHz DDR

Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 on the CD

I have been experiencing the computer randonly freezing up on me (mouse/keyboard lock up). Been troubleshooting this for several weeks. Dealt with the ASUS and AMD folks and believe I can rule then out. Through other forums I have for now ruled out Windows XP and became suspicious of the memory. I had to replace it once due to a chip litterly falling off the stick. A friend also had an issue with this memory and replaced it with Mushkin.

I went ahead and purchased Corsair TWINX-10243200PCPT and installed it a littler while ago. Went into the BIOS and set the following:

CAS 2.5

TRCD 3

TRP 3

TRAS 6

Left all other settings at default. Booted up and still experienced freeze ups.

Went back into the BIOS and changed the 2T Command Rate setting to 'Enabled'. As I am writing this no freeze ups so far, but I'm not yet convinced.

Question #1: It is my understanding the Corsair memory command rate is recommended at 1T. Will running it at 2T cause any harm?

Question #2: Assuming I experience freeze ups again, should I be suspect of the power supply and how can a novice be certain what this power supply is really delivering?

Question #3: The memory ratio is currently set at 1:1 (DDR200). Should I have set it at 2:1 (DDR400)?

Sorry for the mouthful of info. and questions, but I m getting a bit frustrated and really could use some help. Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Corsair Employees

Well you should really be using a 400-450 Watt PSU with this config.

But I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org with the following settings. And no 2t Command rate is a bit slower.

Memory Freq: 2:1 (DDR400)

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable!

I recently built the following computer purchased through tigerdirect.com:

ASUS A8V Deluxe MB

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ CPU (OEM)

Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM SATA HD

Chaintech FX5500 256Mb AGP Video Card

BenQ 1610 CD/DVD Burner

ASUS WIFI-G Card

CPU fan

80mm case fan

350 Watt Power Supply-stock w/SOYO Case

Ultra 512MB 3200PC 400MHz DDR

Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 on the CD

I have been experiencing the computer randonly freezing up on me (mouse/keyboard lock up). Been troubleshooting this for several weeks. Dealt with the ASUS and AMD folks and believe I can rule then out. Through other forums I have for now ruled out Windows XP and became suspicious of the memory. I had to replace it once due to a chip litterly falling off the stick. A friend also had an issue with this memory and replaced it with Mushkin.

I went ahead and purchased Corsair TWINX-10243200PCPT and installed it a littler while ago. Went into the BIOS and set the following:

CAS 2.5

TRCD 3

TRP 3

TRAS 6

Left all other settings at default. Booted up and still experienced freeze ups.

Went back into the BIOS and changed the 2T Command Rate setting to 'Enabled'. As I am writing this no freeze ups so far, but I'm not yet convinced.

Question #1: It is my understanding the Corsair memory command rate is recommended at 1T. Will running it at 2T cause any harm?

Question #2: Assuming I experience freeze ups again, should I be suspect of the power supply and how can a novice be certain what this power supply is really delivering?

Question #3: The memory ratio is currently set at 1:1 (DDR200). Should I have set it at 2:1 (DDR400)?

Sorry for the mouthful of info. and questions, but I m getting a bit frustrated and really could use some help. Thanks in advance for any responses.

8:01 PM - Computer froze up again. Lil' help.

Thank you for the solid info. Where in the BIOS will I find the option for Dim Voltage settings (didn't recall seeing it under Memory Configuration, but at this point my eyes are blurry from all of this)?

From other responses I have recieved or reading other users postings, it seems to me that the power supply is going to end up being the issue. If so, do you have any recommendations? My only personal preference is for a quiet fan.

By the way, I am new to this forum, but have observed a number of your responses to posted requests for help. Thought I'd give you a kudos for providing decent and detailed responses. If you're not getting compensated for this, God bless you man!

• Corsair Employees

Well that's really neat to say and thank you! And yes I am compensated. I wish it was more, but I get by! LOL!

And the Dim or DDR reference Voltage will be under Jumper Free Configuration, or where you set the CPU Freq and voltage. And you may have to turn off AI over clocking or set it to manual to see the voltage.

Thank you for the solid info. Where in the BIOS will I find the option for Dim Voltage settings (didn't recall seeing it under Memory Configuration, but at this point my eyes are blurry from all of this)?

From other responses I have recieved or reading other users postings, it seems to me that the power supply is going to end up being the issue. If so, do you have any recommendations? My only personal preference is for a quiet fan.

By the way, I am new to this forum, but have observed a number of your responses to posted requests for help. Thought I'd give you a kudos for providing decent and detailed responses. If you're not getting compensated for this, God bless you man!

bbutler, I bought that exact same bundle. However, I sold the case and PSU anticipating that the PSU might not be enough juice. Even if the PSU is not "the" issue, for longevity I'd suggest an upgrade when $$$ allows. If the RAM tweaks don't solve the issue, post again.

Mike.

Morning Ram Guy and specmike.

I located the voltage settings in the BIOS and ran the other settings you recommended. Ran memtest for 9 passes with no errors. I'm ruling the memory out of the equation and focusing on the power supply. I used two different power claculators and find that I need approximately 172-175 watts on the 12 volt rail. I checked the power rating on the power supply that came with the case and it provides 12 amps max on the 12 volt rail. That's 144 watts, which tells me the system is under supplied. I worked it out with tigerdiect.com to ship me a Thermaltake 480 watt power supply at no cost and should recieve this week. However, I would lke to run this by you guys. I checked the ASUS probe software running on my system and noticed that the voltage reading for the 12 volt rail runs at just under 12 volts. The 3.3v and 5V rials are also running at just under the values. Am I still going in the right direction to resolve the problem I have with the system freezing up? FYI - My CPU temperature is running at about 53 degrees Celsius. CPU and case fans are running O.K. Also, I have noticed more frequent freeze ups since I installed the Corsair memory and attribute this to its additional demand on the 12 volt rail. What do you guys think?

Sounds like you are on the right track. You pointed out your 12v rail is 144w at a MAXIMUM so even "IF" the PSU was able to give you 144w, it would not be clean. You need a good PSU that will deliver your needs but not be maxed out doing it. I have had good luck with the Thermaltake PSUs. I am running 3 of them now with high demand systems and no problems.

FWIW, I have had great luck with TigerDirect in the past. That's kool :cool: that they are upping your PSU for no charge. I assume they agreed that they sold you a PSU that was not adequate to run what you bought in the bundle?

Good luck, Mike.

Hey thanks for the quick reply and appreciate the vote of confidence. I've been trouble shooting this for over 10 weeks now. Started out as a grass roots novice and have learned a great deal through this exercise. Just praying this is the fix. While I have your attention, I am using a Masscool CPU fan and heatsink and a case fan (forget the Manuf.), neither of which are identified as having any thermal controls (both came with the barebones kit from tigerdirect.com). Since you have the same MB, would you know if I can run the Qfan options in the BIOS to control the fan speeds on these devices? Trying to quiet the system down.

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day.

Hey thanks for the quick reply and appreciate the vote of confidence. I've been trouble shooting this for over 10 weeks now. Started out as a grass roots novice and have learned a great deal through this exercise. Just praying this is the fix. While I have your attention, I am using a Masscool CPU fan and heatsink and a case fan (forget the Manuf.), neither of which are identified as having any thermal controls (both came with the barebones kit from tigerdirect.com). Since you have the same MB, would you know if I can run the Qfan options in the BIOS to control the fan speeds on these devices? Trying to quiet the system down.

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day.

I have used the Q-Fan with that cooler with no problems. Overall, it's a bit of an improvement over the fan wide open. However, my suggestion would be to save your pennies for a better cooler (Zalman ALcu or Arctic Cooling IMO). Or, a much cheaper route would be to replace the fan on the cooler with a Nexus or Panaflow fan.

Mike.

I have used the Q-Fan with that cooler with no problems. Overall, it's a bit of an improvement over the fan wide open. However, my suggestion would be to save your pennies for a better cooler (Zalman ALcu or Arctic Cooling IMO). Or, a much cheaper route would be to replace the fan on the cooler with a Nexus or Panaflow fan.

Mike.

Forgot one other issue. ASUS Probe is not monitoring the case fan (listed as chassis fan on the probe screen). Any advice for this?

First, how many leads does the fan wire have on it? If it only has 2, it has no fan speed reporting lead to tell the MOBO what's up. It needs 3 leads to report properly. Also, on the main Probe screen is the box beside Chassis Fan checked?

Mike.

The box was not checked and I did check it only to get a warning response that the fan speed was below the threshold set at 600rpm. Your advice on the 2 vs. 3 wire scenerio may be my issue. I'll verify later and let you know.

Thanks Mike.

Mind posting specifics on why/how you got them to ship a free PSU? I've got that same barebones setup.

Had been having issues with this barebones kit since I recieved it back in early January. First, I learned that the AMD 3400+ CPU for socket 939 that came with the kit is a OEM version you can't buy retail. ASUS didn't even know about it and their BIOS firmware didn't support it. They started getting calls from customers like me and wrote v1009.007 to support this CPU. ASUS promptly sent me a new BIOS chip with V1009.007 on it at no charge.

Next, I open the Ultra 512Mb DDR only to find one of the little chips had broken off. Called tigerdirect and they promptly replaced the memory and accepted my return. Now, at about 11 weeks I believe I have finally figured out my computer freeze up problem is a undersized power supply that came with the case in the barebones kit. Called tigerdirect and explained the situation. Told them I was disappointed that whomever was responsible for putting this kit together didn't do their homework to make certain all of the hardware was compatible and that I should not have to pay the price for resolving this issue. No arguement from them and they allowed me to select a power supply of my choice up to a value of XX dollars and they would provide to me at no cost. I must have called tigerdirect at least a dozen times over the course of this time and I will say that every rep was courteous and willing to do whatever was reasonable to resolve my issues. Either this is standard practice for tigerdirect, or they have been dealing with other disappointed customers with this same kit and realized they needed to save face. You decide. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Hope you are up and running O.K. and have a blessed day!

First, how many leads does the fan wire have on it? If it only has 2, it has no fan speed reporting lead to tell the MOBO what's up. It needs 3 leads to report properly. Also, on the main Probe screen is the box beside Chassis Fan checked?

Mike.

The case fan has 3 leads. Could it be that fan recognition through ASUS Probe is being affected by the fact that the fan draws from the same 12 volt rail that I now know is beyond maxed out on the current power supply?

The case fan has 3 leads. Could it be that fan recognition through ASUS Probe is being affected by the fact that the fan draws from the same 12 volt rail that I now know is beyond maxed out on the current power supply?

If you are getting an alarm that the fan is under 600rpm then I don't think recognition is the case. Try switching the fan to another header on the MOBO. If the problem moves, it is the fan. If not, it is an issue other than the fan. You can even attach it to the CPU fan header and connect the CPU fan to the chassis fan header. This should isolate the problem.

Mike.

Hehe...you probably are. However, computer logic is odd sometimes. Some things don't make sense right away. Good luck, Mike.

You ever have one of those days when your brain just isn't firing on all cylinders? The case fan is connected to the 'power fan' header, which is not monitored by Qfan (I shoulda had a V-8!). The leads on the fan are not long enough to reach the chassis fan header on the MB. Everything's fine. My remaining curiosity is why the power fan header isn't monitored by Qfan. Also, are there some PSU that have a separate 3-pin lead for connection to the motherboard? My current PSU doesn't. Do your Thermaltake PSUs? I'm expecting the new PSU today. Hope this does the trick. Have a blessed day Mike and thanks for being a sounding board for a frustrated computer novice.

Brett

Archived