Corsair Community

MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Incapatability?

ShadowSabre

Hi I have taken notice since I switch my motherboard from Gigabyte z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming to MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC that my cpu does not down clock like it should with ICUE running, without it running it works fine my average clock is like 4.1ghz with ICUE and down to 2.5ghz without it running I have tried other ICUE"s 3.16.56, 3.18.77, 3.19(worst) and the latest 3.20.80 with all the same results and in turn since higher clock speed means higher heat I have tried everything I know short of buying all new products that don't require ICUE cause cant afford that route any help or if known issue with MSI motherboards would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am running Intel I7-8086k stock with just XMP enabled.

You may need to read up a bit on how these recent Lake processors function in relation to SpeedShift, Speedstep, and the rest of the power management features. The power is no longer regulated at the software state but at the hardware level. Monitoring programs cannot see this. The days of your Sandy Bridge processor sitting at 1.5 GHz pancake flat while you are on the desktop are gone. In the normal state, your 8086/8700K will show elevated and dynamic frequency all the time. However, that does not mean it is actually active. Task manager will show you a moving frequency, but a low load, and what should be low corresponding core temps in any other program. Right now my 8700K is pinging all over between 3.6 and 5.0 (when it actually does something). Regardless the power levels from the CPU are nominal and so is the heat, with the cores sitting at 26-27C or 2C above the ambient. That is as low as it goes. You will also see your voltage moving around to match and it won't drop to 0.65v very often and it will stay matched with the frequency. However, once again, that does not mean actual power is being consumed.

I can see why it is a bit alarming and I went through a similar analysis when I got this set-up. It was not the same as my X99 system that would lie down when not actively doing things. It made me stop using AIDA because I could not get used to the frequency graph bouncing all over. Now I don't look. Your Load % will be more useful for determining active processor time. You should not have actual increased core temps and if you do, then something else is going on. I did all my testing long before I was using iCUE and this was still the issue. And now quitting iCUE makes no difference to my clock behavior, except for the brief second I execute the command to launch or quit.

It is possible make the 8086K go flat on the desktop, but it requires you use higher levels of C-states to effectively tranquilize the processor. While accomplishing the flat frequency response, it will have an effect on your active use time and it will drop frequency at unwanted times like when at max load unless you override it with the Power Management plan at 100%. However, once you are doing that you have lost any desktop savings within minutes unless this machine is used as 24/7 standby server or something similar.

Edited by c-attack

Well I use hwinfo64 and it shows a difference big difference when icue running it high lowest it goes is 4.1ghz but when not running will clock down to 800mhz and go to 4.4 so it runs warmer with icue running then when not running so I don't know what it is never did this on my gigabyte z370 with same cpu

Well now I am in a pickle I have uninstalled all I could but still have high usage with ICUE running and normal with t not so now I have to choose between getting a new motherboard (non MSI) or buying all new replacement stuff for my corsair products wouldn't mind keeping as is but I can't seem figure out how to set it up to show one color on all products when icue is closed if that is even possible

Are you actually seeing idle desktop temps in the 40-60C range? Or are you assuming it is working hard because the frequency is up? That was my point above. A few years ago elevated frequency would be a true indicator of work. That is no longer necessarily true and the values can be misleading.

The differences in behavior between the two boards would seem to indicate the motherboard is the central actor and not the software. I do think you can quiet things down with some BIOS tweaks, but since I don’t have a MSI board I can’t walk you through it. Don’t do anything hasty like rip out all your gear. This should be solvable.

Idle temps are in the 30's on stock i7-8086k with the corsair h150i max temp peak I have ever got is 60 in gaming but on average it runs in 35 to 45 range and I do have to agree it is most likely the motherboard cause it didn't happen on my gigabyte z370 so might be going back to my z370 and just sell this z390 and get more RGB lol just kidding