Corsair Community

DFI NF4 Ultra-D & 3200XL memtest errors

sycr0n

3 passes should be sufficient.

BTW, just to clarify for others who may be reading this thread, I'm recommending the latest version because of any changes they have made to the test, as well as I just don't trust built-in testers like that :)

well, using memtest 3.2, I'm still having trouble running in dual channel at 1T or 2T. I keep getting errors in test #6 it seems. I tried 2.6v, 2.7v, 2.8v dram voltage with no luck. Bleh, i'm not sure where to go with this. I'm trying using 4x LDT multiplier now, but for some reason i don't think it will help. I'm not sure where to go with this. :sigh!:

Dunno if you saw it over @ dfi-street.com, but v3.2 is memtest86, whereas memtest86+ is at 1.55. No clue what the differences are though. May want to test with memtest86+ to be safe, as that's what's in your BIOS, but I don't know if the results would be any different. May just want to wait until someone can clarify the difference.

Yeah, I just saw it. I'm running memtestx86+ now, but i don't expect to see different results. I just dont' see how i could be having so much trouble after trying out two different sets of "pre-tested" modules. Something isn't right here.

Yeah, it does sound wonky, I agree. Testing the memory in another system, or other memory in this system would be the next step. I have the feeling it may be something else in the system interfering with it, dunno what though. Could be a bad memory controller, could be that the AGP voltage needs to be tweaked a bit, could be another piece of HW that is messing with the voltage. Too many unknowns until the memory and/or CPU / motherboard is proven to be good or not by mixing HW.

i'll throw the memory in another system tonight, but it will only be at DDR333, which passes fine even using the corsair on my system. The only time it has issues is at dual channel DDR400. I could try some PC2700 ram with my DFI board, but then again I'm not sure that will prove anything either. Is it more likely a CPU issue or a motherboard issue from the sound of it?

Most likely the CPU since it has the memory controller built into it.

If you run the 2700C2 in dual channel, underclocking the CPU, it may show a fault within the memory controller, then again not being 400 Mhz, it may not.

Do you think I could possibly drop the FSB multiplier on my XP2600+ and bump the ram frequency up to 200mhz to make the ram run at dual-channel DDR400? Wouldn't that pretty much determine the memory situation and also prove that the CPU has issues?

I have an Asus A7n8x which is dual channel DDR400 capable. I tested the corsair ram in that system last night and it ran without errors at Dual channel DDR333. Also, I used the crucial pc2700 ram in my DFI setup and it ran fine at dual channel ddr333. Of course the corsair is running completely fine at DDR333 dual channel also with my DFI Ultra-D too.

Edit: Just for kicks I ran prime95 over night and it ran for 11 hours without a hitch. The other set of 3200xl didn't make it past 6 hours, so I think i had a bad memory module regardless.

Do you think I could possibly drop the FSB multiplier on my XP2600+ and bump the ram frequency up to 200mhz to make the ram run at dual-channel DDR400? Wouldn't that pretty much determine the memory situation and also prove that the CPU has issues?

I think so.

Yeah man, I'm totally stumped. Corsair has given me nothing but great results in the past. I definitely think there is an issue with the DFI Ultra-D imparticular and the corsair modules. I sent an email to the DFI Engineers about my problem and asking them if it has been metioned and if it will be addressed.

• Corsair Employee

Well we would be happy to try replacing your modules if you want to try that.

But what you have posted might suggest a failing CPU or PSU as well.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

That's wierd, because the 3200XL XPERTS is on their verified support list:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57623&postcount=14NF4

Performance report available for the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D with Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL

Manually tested, verified, and overclocked on 3/21/05.

Asking the DFI guys for an opinion on the report here.

Wired,

I did not see the twinx 1024xl on the recommended list, saw 512xl. I can run with one 512 stick but have all kinds of symptoms on 2.

Well guys, after many hours on end of testing, I finally am memtest stable for 4+ hours.

I ended up getting a hold of some OCZ memory to test in my system and I still got the same errors as before with my 3200XL's. Turns out the winchester model i have is known for it's weak memory controller and requires to be fed alot of voltage. I've been gradually easing it all the way up to 1.6v core which seems to be the magic point.

I just want to thank wired and ram guy for all your effort in helping me reach this resolution. I plan on taking it up with AMD since the supposed operating voltage for my cpu is 1.4v, which doesn't appear to be the case! However, I doubt if anything good will come out of it.

Thanks alot guys!

Archived