Ram Guy, first my setup:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum BIOS 1.36B (current), 1.41 modded, 1.5 Official

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester

2x512 Corsair 4400C25

2x 36GB Raptors RAID 0

nVidia 6600GT

Enermax 460W

Currently running the system OCed to the following:

260x9 = 2340mhz @ 1.66VCore (according to CPUZ)

HTTx3

RAM Timings: 2.5-4-4-10 1T @ 2.8VDimm (according to BIOS) In slots 1 & 2 closest to CPU, Dual channel mode

AGP: 67mhz

Cool'n Quiet disabled

Other bits:

Max FSB was found to be 330+. Max CPU speed was found to be just over 2.5Ghz NOT stable, but loading Windows @ 1.7Vcore. HSF is Thermaltake Silentboost K8, temps never seen above 40C (according to BIOS). Have OCed many other rigs, this being the first AMD64 rig.

Problem:

Trying to get system Prime stable. Getting random BSODs. Prime fails in less than a minute but SuperPi passes 2M. BurnIn Test passes CPU and RAM tests. Sandra burn-in runs fine along with benches. Memtest gives me 9 errors on test 5 even though the RAM is underclocked by 15mhz (ran for 16 hours) with looser timings than rated. Was hoping to get near Anandtech speeds of 280-290, but I'll settle for 275 with 2.5-4-4-10 1T. Have tried the BIOSs mentioned above, with 1.36 with modded 4.66 RAID drivers (necessary to install Windows XP on SATA channels 3 and 4 which are locked) being the current and most successful BIOS.

I have also set the CPU to 250x9 for a measly 400mhz OC and have still gotten the same errors and Prime fails in less than minute even with 1.7VCore. Now either I have a REALLY bad OCing chip as most can hit a very stable 2.4 if not 2.6, or my RAM is giving me the random BSODs. Have read many forums, thought I'd ask for your help. I did read the posting on here with thaibog and his problems with the C254400.

• Corsair Employee

If you are certain that you can run the memory at 330+ FSB then try the following settings; but I highly doubt that your CPU will run 330+ with a 1:1 ratio with any memory, also make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your system and try to put the memory modules on slots 3&4:

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-4400C25

Cell Menu/DRAM Configuration :

Max Memclock: Limit or 200

1T/2T Memory Timing : 1T

CAS# latency (Tlc): 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras): 8

Row precharge Time (Trp): 4

High Performance Mode : Manual

Aggressive timing : DISABLED

Dynamic Overclocking: DISABLED

Spread Spectrum : Enabled

HT Frequency : 4x

Cool’n’Quiet: Disabled

Adjust CPU Rotation: 7x

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency: 274

Adjust AGP Frequency: 66

Adjust CPU VID 1.55v *need to change this*

CPU Voltage: By CPU VID

Memory Voltage : 2.8/2.85

AGP Voltage: 1.60V *1.6V if you have 9200 or 9600 ATI or 5200 or 5700 Nvidia card.

All other settings should be left to MB default settings.

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure! If 274MHz doesn't work out for you, then try working from 250MHz with a 5MHz increase; run memtest before you proceed to a higher clock speed.

The 330+ FSB was with the RAM settings to all Auto with a 133 divider. The easiest way I've found to find OC settings is to find FSB first, then CPU, then RAM. Once all settings have been found, I try to get the best 1:1 with a 1T command rate.

I'll try your settings and post back with my findings. Thanks for you help.

RAM GUY, here's my test results. I separated each test for clarity.

I flashed my BIOS to the latest, official BIOS which is version 1.5 and put my settings exactly like you mentioned above (printed them off even). FYI - slots 1 and 2 are known to be the better OCing slots on this board.

First Test:

Using slots 1 & 2 in Dual Channel: With above settings I ran test 5 (which was giving me the previous errors) and got 41 errors at the very end of the first pass (96-98% complete)

Second Test:

Using slots 1 & 2 in Dual Channel: I dropped the FSB down to 250 like you mentioned. No errors in 4 passes.

Third Test:

Using slots 1 & 2 in Dual Channel: I incremented the FSB by 5mhz with no errors until I got to 265FSB. At this point, I received 2 errors in test 5.

Fourth Test:

Using slot 3, one DIMM: I kept the FSB at 265 and received some 11,000 errors on test 5 in 15 passes.

Fifth Test:

Using slot 4, same DIMM as in 4th test: Computer wouldn't even POST

Sixth Test:

Using slot 1, same DIMM as in 4th and 5th test: Again FSB was still at 265 and test 5 passed 4 times with no errors.

Seventh Test:

Using slot 1, other DIMM: FSB at 265, no errors in 4 passes on test 5.

So, in dual channel mode I get 2 errors @ 265FSB. But when I run each DIMM by itself in slot 1, I get no errors.

Either way, I think it's safe to say I'm not gonna hit 275mhz dual channel 1T, let alone my hoped 290 out of these.

Now, 2 questions. If I RMA these, they go back to my reseller and the reseller sends me another set, correct? Well, showing my ignorance, why would these new sticks work, and my current ones won't if they're the same Samsung TCCD chips? I know about bad batches here and there (I ordered these roughly 1.5 weeks ago) Anandtech got these to work superbly, but I don't think they ran memtest, but they did test for stability in other ways. This is the second time I've ever used Corsair memory, my first experience was about the same as this (those sticks were NOT overclocked even though they were XMS, just a general incompatibility with an nForce2 board). I realize there's tons of factors in building systems, as I've done it for 5 years now, but when I pay for the best, I expect the best.

I'm gonna keep running more tests and post back.

• Corsair Employee

Getting errors in test 5 would usually suggest some other problem, and I think most of the reviews have been done with FX CPU's. But getting them exchanged is not a problem if you want to try that. If you want to try your reseller that's O.K. but whether or not they will replace them or just test your modules and send them back I would not know, please ask them and see what they say. But I would not have a problem replacing them directly if you want to try that. However, I have suspicions that you may end up with the same results, there is no guarantee that every CPU and MB will over clock, and we can only guarantee our modules to run at their tested settings. And it's very likely that your MB and or CPU just will not run at 275 MHz. If you want to try replacing them with us, please follow the directions under "I think I have a bad module" under this forum or if you have trouble, Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Rma@corsairmemory.com.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

I see what you're saying, but I did test the MB itself as the very first thing I did. I dropped my CPU multiplier to 5x with default VCore and I also dropped the RAM to a 100 divider to find the maximum FSB of the Neo2 board. I got to 336 before I could no longer boot. With the RAM at the divider and the CPU underclocked, I thought it was safe to assume the board could theoretically hit those speeds (minus 5-10% of course), provided there was a CPU and RAM out there that could achieve the same speeds.

Using your settings, I took the CPU out of the equation and the RAM would still not run at 265FSB without getting errors. All the RAM I've had in the past got through my OCed settings at or above their rated speeds with zero errors. I'm not an expert with deciphering memtest errors, but I think it's safe to assume that one error could potentially cause a BSOD down the road.

I appreciate your help, and will most likely return these for another set.

Just a quick update here. I sent the RAM back today, going through Corsair and not my reseller. I did have some Twinmos PC3700 sticks laying around (2x512MB) and popped them in (rated at 2.5-4-4-10 at 2.7V @ 232mhz) dual channel slots 1 & 2.

I ran them underclocked with a 133 divider, rated timings with 1T and set the FSB to 269. CPU was at 9x269 with 1.65VCore and passed Prime95 for 16 hours. Before I wasn't able to get the system Prime stable with any divider placed on the C254400 and was wondering if the CPU was causing Prime to fail. Now I know it wasn't my CPU, which is nice to finally know for sure the RAM was the problem.

I then set the RAM 1:1 and backed the FSB down to the RAMs rated 232mhz. After upping the VDimm to 2.8 I was able to stablize the system and run Prime again, currently still running on 2 hours now.

With any settings the C254400 would fail Prime in less than a minute, underclocked or otherwise. I would chalk it up to incompatibility with my limited troubleshooting experience with RAM, but TCCD based chips are known to work superbly with this board, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Anxious to test the new C254400 DIMMs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guyz!

So... today finally i got my 4400C25PT and i was anxious after the threads i red about these modules. Some Users got definitively bad modules!? or they do not know their overclockers work! So mine work really fine! I get my AMD up to 2700 1:1 @ 1T (like it should be) with an affordable watercooling.

Perhapps somebody should also post once positive experiences, and help here with setting he's got running... :D:

As i have the same setup as egde929 i provide my detailed settings:

Memory Settings:

200 (1:1 what else?)

1T (2T is not to discuss about)

Tcl 2.5

Trcd 4

Tras 10

Trp 4

Chipset Settings

HT 3x

CPU 10x (got a 3200 - see signature)

RT (FSB) 270 (RAM would do more, but CPU not)

AGP 70

Vcore 1.550 v over VID 10% = equals in CPU-Z to 1.623~

VDIMM 2.8 v

AGP 1.65 v

well this is running stable as a rock and performs that it is real fun! :D:

-> To RAM Guy i salute to your patience with some Jerks here in the Forums, but its your work... ;):

I can recommend this RAM Module to everyone! its worth every penny!

Greets!

• 4 weeks later...

edge929:

does the RMA'd modules work fine at 1t now?

i am really anxious to know, i have the exact same problems with my set of 4400C25.

its been more than a month since edge929 logged in to this forum, maybe Ram Guy can forward my question to his e-mail account?

• Corsair Employee

jehwuk

He gets an email any time someone posts in this thread. I would go ahead and try replacing your modules and start your own thread if you have not done so. And post your system spec. and we will do our best to help you.

Archived