Corsair Community

Your Thoughts on iCue Vs Other Software?

Whisky Lima

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have started a new thread, I just wanted to ask you guys what your thoughts are on iCue? What do you think is good about it and what could be better? How do you guys think it compares to other software like it? I personally don't have a great deal of experience with other RGB applications but it would be interesting to know what you all think about it?

I will kick this off:

• Hands down the most comprehensive software for RGB lighting. Plenty of features and all in one software application.
  • Having the ability to create multiple profiles and have them linked to specific software applications so it changes automatically depending on the game I am playing.
  • Control over Macros, EQ presets, fan curves and pump speeds as well as Lighting means everything I need to setup a new game or application with my keyboard, mouse and lighting is all in one place.

Dislikes:

• I wish it were compatible with other hardware so I could control ASUS and MSI LEDs from iCue too.
  • It can be difficult to find what your looking for and for a beginner can be very daunting with the huge number of features. High learning curve.

Perhaps if there is something that everyone likes or dislikes, the girls and boys at Corsair will know which direction they ought to be taking iCue for the future.

Cheers all!

• Like 1

As someone who mostly uses it to turn things off, I have far more dislikes than likes:

• Buggy
  • For some reason it claims my first processor core after running for a while, causing my system to lag
  • Loves to eat RAM. Not uncommon for it to take up about 500-600mb
  • Lacks a simple "lights off" button

• I love the huge range of customisation options available for memory, Fans, AIO's, Mice, Headsets, Keyboards, Mouse pad and LED strips.

Dislikes

• Generally buggy from my experience having used it since the 1st release.

• The fact that it has to run in the background which has been shown to take up performance of CPU and GPU which inturn lowers ingame performance, Now if Corsair came out with an updated commander pro that had some flash memory that held all your entire configuration without software needing to run, That would be amazing.

Edited by Dicehunter

I can at least see my H80is temp and fan speeds..... since Corsair Link 4 refuses to work anymore.

I can match the cpu pump rgb light color to my EVGA RTX 2080s RGB color.

Dislikes

Tbh I don`t really care much about ICUES lighting control etc. Which seems to me to be the main focus of ICUE. Very much a fan of basic lighting controls. inshort I`d rather have more robust focussed hardware cooling features as apposed to something seemingly more tailored for lighting control.

In comparison to what Corsair Link 4 USE to offer for my H Series coolers for example, ICUE is as bare bones as it gets. My H80i barely seems like an after thought. For my needs, CL 4 did more, and looked better. Felt better/robust. Well thought out. Was more intuitive to use. Gotta be honest. I like dedicated software. Imho any software I have seen that tried to cover all bases, they always end up mediocre and lacking alround.

You want a Lights off feature on iCUE BUT that has ALWAYS been there since the start as far as I know.

1) Open iCUE and look at the 4 tabs at the top (They should be "HOME", "DASHBOARD", "INSTANT LIGHTING" and "SETTINGS")

2) The tab that says "Instant lighting " is the one you need to click (all the instant lighting feature does is just set ALL the Corsair iCUE compatible RGB components in your system to ONE colour and whenever you log in to your PC your Corsair iCUE RGB stuff will ALWAYS change to that colour regardless of what profiles are currently set on the components and peripherals that have onboard storage and have lighting profiles set to them already)

3) Once you click on that tab a predefined set of colours (though I would prefer if Corsair gave us the option to create our OWN colours to put in to that tab as some of the colours do NOT match the light that comes out of the LED's if you set to that colour such as orange, lime green and pale green which appear as yellow, green and turquoise on my PC and also the dark green just appears as green on my PC but with the LED's dimmed) appear and you can choose anyone of them and one of them is "black" and because there is no such thing as black coloured light it just turns off the LED's on every Corsair iCUE compatible product you own

Edited by Z.S

iCUE and Asus Aura.

iCUE is the main player by choice for me, it does what it does and it does it well...

Asus Aura is forced upon me.. i dislike its UI.. i dislike its lack of options.. so it runs in the background and i use JackNet RGB Sync to come in an hijack it and use iCUE to control my Asus Motherboard LED's

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on other software you think might compete with iCue? If so why?

Honestly everything is proprietary and brand limited, so no one can really say whats better than the other.

iCue has a lot of freedom for configuring things, but it also wants the user to put in a lot of work for some of the effects (so few presets!) and it has serious performance impacts on PC... but what choice do i have?

Corsair hardware is locked to corsair software, so i cant say ones better than the other, i'd need to build a new PC around another brands software to be able to judge them.

Hey, hey!

- I would not mind to see some profile (software) presets made by Alex or Lewis that cover all iCUE RGB products in a future release we can select from and that are installed with iCUE, available in the dropdown selection. Something we can simply select from within iCUE, vs. downloading them ourselves that does give new potential customers a way to see the power of iCUE, without needing to find the profiles sites that offer them.

- I'd like to see a drag-and-drop feature of Corsair products within iCUE, to tell iCUE how we want certain effects to manifest across the hardware. i.e., ST100 and Headphones on the left side, or mouse on the left side for left-handed uses, so effects recognize this layout and react accordingly.

- On screen reactivity would be neat, where Corsair devices flip colour based on those colours coming via the monitor.

- Timers would be awesome! Where we can bind 3 profiles to run after one another based on a timer. Such as morning - day - evening, and those profiles would meld and change based on timer settings. At 7pm, this profile starts, and slowly changes over X amount of minutes while the previous profile is still running, until the time is up, then the new profile is up and running. Kind of like how Phillips Hue Lighting works with timers. Not essential ofc.

- Even a timer option to flip all lighting off at a specific time, so kids know it is time to get off and go to bed.

- Audio reactivity on all Corsair products. The driver exists already on WPE, iCUE should truly have this function.

One big dislike for me is resource consumption. It's by far the most cpu consumption in relation to the competition. Seriously, this is TERRIBLE! Some cpus can't go to idle because of this. And now I discovered, that also uses too much disk over time, and I am talking about writing on disk. I measured, and in 3 days write 14GB. This is VERY HIGH, and I don't have Hardware widget or logging enabled. This also is not counting any iCUE downloads. This is not ideal for SSDs over time.

One big dislike for me is resource consumption. It's by far the most cpu consumption in relation to the competition. Seriously, this is TERRIBLE! Some cpus can't go to idle because of this. And now I discovered, that also uses too much disk over time, and I am talking about writing on disk. I measured, and in 3 days write 14GB. This is VERY HIGH, and I don't have Hardware widget or logging enabled. This also is not counting any iCUE downloads. This is not ideal for SSDs over time.

honestly i think there is some kind of bug with monitoring, and thats the cause of some of the performance issues and the disk writes.

we need the option to turn them off if we dont use them (i run static fan and pump speeds, and i use external temp monitoring programs)

• Corsair Employee

I appreciate all the feedback guys, keep them coming. I am seeing a lot of good information here for us to look at and evaluate for future iCUE feature implementation.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, as I am sure that there's a lot of you guys out there have tons of feedback on iCUE to share with us. Again, I appreciate all the input guys.