Corsair Community

AA8XE-3rd Eye and Corsair TWIN2X1024A-4300C3PRO

kamikaze

I have ABIT AA8XE-3rd Eye with Corsair TWIN2X1024A-4300C3PRO. However, it often freeze when I turn the monitor off (using the control panel menu, "turn the monitor off after <#> minutes") for approximately a night and I have to restart the computer by pressing the restart button. Next, sometimes it becomes blue scree, stating about the dumping of physical memory. This is not about overheating problem, because of THERMALTAKE (Tsunami dream aluminium casing) which have a good ventilation and it has purepower supply of 420W of ENLIGHT. Advice needed as soon as possible.

System Summary

ABIT AA8XE-3rd Eye

Intel P4 3.2Ghz LGA775

HIS X600XT Pci-Express video card

ENLIGHT PS 420W (P4) PurePower

TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO DDR2-538 (XM2S-4300) 1GB Kit (2 x 512MB)

2X120GB Seagate SATA

WinFast TV2000 XP Expert

I have MB of ABIT AA8XE-3rd Eye with TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO / DDR2-538 (XM2S-4300). However, it often freeze my windows if i leave it for a night or more while the monitor is off (turn off monitor automatically after 1 min). The other porblem is that sometimes the blue screen appears saying about dumping physical memory. Some help is needed please. :confused:

Computer System:

ABIT AA8XE-3rd Eye Motherboard

Intel P4 3.2Ghz LGA775

Enlight 420W Pure Power Supply Unit

Corsair TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO / DDR2-538 (XM2S-4300)

2X120GB Seagate SATA

WinFast TV2000XP Expert

THERMALTAKE Tsunami Dream Aluminium Case

can you read out the label of the PSU, check how many amps it gives at 12 volt , eg mine give 36 amps at 12 volts , over 18 is a good value otherwise the powersupply could be too weak for your hardware.

What are the timings used for the ram ?

What bios is the mobo on ?

What do you have the Dim Voltage set to? Please set it to 1.9 Volts and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

My computer knowladge of memory testing is very limited. Please further your explaination regarding the memtest.. (on how should i do it). Step by step instruction is needed to test the memory. And how to check and change the Dim Voltage. Thank You.

can you read out the label of the PSU, check how many amps it gives at 12 volt , eg mine give 36 amps at 12 volts , over 18 is a good value otherwise the powersupply could be too weak for your hardware.

What are the timings used for the ram ?

What bios is the mobo on ?

AT 12 Volts, my PSU gives exactly 18 AMPS... Can it be the one that makes my computer tend to freeze? Or 18 AMPS is good enough to handle all my system hardware?

The timing for the ram is 3-3-3-6 and it using PHOENIX bios.. Is it the right timing for TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO DDR2-538?

Anyway, sorry for the late reply. Coz been very busy lately.. Advice needed...

Just make the boot disk and let the system boot from the disk, it will run automaticly. If you get errors let me know on what test you got errors and the settings you had set.

After i ran the boot disk, the following confisuration comes out at the screen:

Pentium 4 (0.09) 3260 Mhz

L1 Cache : 16K 12256 MB/s

L2 Cache : 1024K 8859 MB/s

Memory : 1024 M 2547 MB/s

Chipset: Intel i925X/XE (ECC:Disabled) - FSB: 203Mhz - Type : DDR II

Settings: RAM : 203 Mhz (DDR 406) / CAS: 3-3-3-6 / Dual Channel (Interleaved)

Wall time: approx 7hrs - Cached: 1024M - Rsvd Mem: 276M -

MemMap: e820-std - Cache: on - ECC: off - Test: Std -

Pass: approx more than 10 - Errors: 0 - UCC Errors: 0

So is this setting is right for my system of:

ABIT AA8XE-3rd Eye Motherboard

Intel P4 3.2Ghz LGA775

Enlight 420W Pure Power Supply Unit

Corsair TWIN2X1024-4300C3PRO / DDR2-538 (XM2S-4300),

Or can be better?

If i needed to change the setting, please let me know and what to be changed and how to do it. I really appreciate your help... :o:

Please follow the link in my signature and set the timings manually to the correct settings Cass 3-3-3-10 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 Volts as well.

After i follow the signature and through BIOS I set the CPU External Frequency to 250MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Clock to 533MHz, SDRAM CAS Latency to 3T, SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) to 3T, SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP) to 3T, SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS) to 8T, DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9 and NB Voltage to 1.9 Volts (except VDIMM: 2.1 Volts as i did not find the option to change it), and save the changes, my monitor straight away turns off and the "beep... beep...beep..." sound can be heard.

I tried to turn off the PC by the OFF button but to no vail. So i OFF it from the PSU. Then i tried to ON the PC again, but when I look at the BIOS, all the setting that i just changed, back to defaults again except the 3-3-3-10.

This is my default BIOS setting, maybe it can help you to figure it out what went wrong.

CPU Operating Speed 3200(200)

-External Clock 204MHz

-Multiplier Factor X16

-N/B Strap CPU As By CPU(PSB800)

-DRAM Frequency(CPU:DRAM) AUTO

-PCI Express Clock AUTO

-PCI Clock 33.33MHz

Voltage Control AUTO Detect

-CPU Core Voltage 1.3875V

-DDR II SDRAM Voltage 1.80V

-NB Voltage 1.50V

Which one to change the "VDIMM" ??

Help is really needed here..

Before starting to OC you must get your system running 100% stable. Just set the Dimm voltage to 2.0 volts like Ram guy suggested (DDR2 SDram voltage ) and the timings to 3-3-3-10 and see if it still has probs. After that start to OC slowly and don't up the CPU speed immediately to 250 ; move in slow steps 5mhz increments eg let it burn in.I have no clue about that NB voltage to be upped to such heights I would leave it at stock speeds.

Remember not all CPU's Oc as good as others.

Also to check the PSU detach one S-Ata drive and eg an optical drive and see if the prob persists. Also check in the bios how the voltages are at eg 12 volts , see if it is stable at approx 12 volts. Did you flash the mobo's bios to the latest bios version 22 ?

link here :http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/bios/aa8/aa822.exe

Before starting to OC you must get your system running 100% stable. Just set the Dimm voltage to 2.0 volts like Ram guy suggested (DDR2 SDram voltage ) and the timings to 3-3-3-10 and see if it still has probs. After that start to OC slowly and don't up the CPU speed immediately to 250 ; move in slow steps 5mhz increments eg let it burn in.I have no clue about that NB voltage to be upped to such heights I would leave it at stock speeds.

Remember not all CPU's Oc as good as others.

There you go...

I'm not aiming to OC my computer.. It's not what I wanted...

Just like what you are saying, I just wanted my system to run 100%stable... SInce I never off my system.. What I do is that I just restart the system.. That's why I bought Corsair for preventing me from restarting it every so often.. However, this system just keep giving me the blue screen saying about the physical memory dump and the system sometimes tend to freeze when start up the windows? What is wrong with my system? I just dont get it... Maybe the BIOS setting gotta do wif it?

Edited my post further Kami please try a bios upgrade and the tips Ram guy suggested but keep the FSB at 200Mhz please

I did the upgrading the BIOS... the timing has becomes 4-3-3-8 and while i'm writting this, nothing have gone wrong so far... (hope nothing wrong for sometimes to come :D: ).. However, do you think I should increase the DDRII SDRAM Voltage from 1.80V to 1.90V and increase the NB Voltage from 1.50V to 1.90V (as what recommended by corsair)? And what about VDIMM? what is that? and is it needed to change that value?

Well as long as it's stable keep it this way, the Corsair ram is foreseen to eb run at 1.9 but if it all works stablke at 1.8 keep it that way, it's wil be when you start to OC ( if you want to) you must up the ram voltage and Nb voltage to eg what Ram guy suggested. Jus tbench it and see waht happens GL with your superduper rig :D:

Well as long as it's stable keep it this way, the Corsair ram is foreseen to eb run at 1.9 but if it all works stablke at 1.8 keep it that way, it's wil be when you start to OC ( if you want to) you must up the ram voltage and Nb voltage to eg what Ram guy suggested. Jus tbench it and see waht happens GL with your superduper rig :D:

Whahaa... Thanx v. much leeghoofd... U have been very much of a help.... :biggrin:

BTW, I'll keep this setting and run it for a day or two... If it is stable already, then I might need your help agian to assist me in OC... till then, GBU leeghoofd... :p:

After I run it for 2 days with an upfraded BIOS, the system seems to run okay. :):

However, it happen once or twice that in last 2 days, my mouse and keyboard were freeze (can not move). :mad: Just for information, I'm using Logitech MXDUO(wireless keyboard and mouse).

Any idea what is happening? and how to solve that problem? :confused:

Secondly, do you think my power supply is good enough to handle all my system hardwares?

Is there any posibbility that the problem of frezzing might be from my PSU of not having enough power? :confused:

do you use wireless lan ? or GSM or mobile phones near the pc ? I know some do soem weird interference with the wireless keyboard mouse config ( experienced myself with my wireless 3com stuff, so I got me cabled mouse and keyboard again. Regarding the PSU you have to check 1) first toal wattage power (it says 420 but what's the number when delivering combined power eg my enermax is a 495 Watt model but it delivers 485 Watt combined) and secondly how many amps does it give at the 12 volt rail, ( eg I have 32 amps which is more than plenty but you will need at least 20 amps to keep it stable). I will look into your Bios this evening to see if there are soem settings you can do i th ebios, it can be that Abit put out this mobo a bit too soon and that a newer bios revision will cure it all. Laterzzzz

do you use wireless lan ? or GSM or mobile phones near the pc ? I know some do soem weird interference with the wireless keyboard mouse config ( experienced myself with my wireless 3com stuff, so I got me cabled mouse and keyboard again. Regarding the PSU you have to check 1) first toal wattage power (it says 420 but what's the number when delivering combined power eg my enermax is a 495 Watt model but it delivers 485 Watt combined) and secondly how many amps does it give at the 12 volt rail, ( eg I have 32 amps which is more than plenty but you will need at least 20 amps to keep it stable). I will look into your Bios this evening to see if there are soem settings you can do i th ebios, it can be that Abit put out this mobo a bit too soon and that a newer bios revision will cure it all. Laterzzzz

I didn't use wireless LAN or some kind of wireless hardware except my keyboard and mouse.

How to check the combined power delivered on the PSU? I didnt see anything saying about the combined power.

My PSU only deliver 18amps at 12V... so it isn't sufficient for my hardware?

Last but not least, thank for looking into my BIOS setting...

Thankx, for looking inot my BIOS setting...

Looking forward for your next post... :D:

The main issue with power supplies that I have seen are using the 20 to 24 pin adapters. Did your power supply come with a 20 pin ATX plug or a 24 pin ATX plug? Your power supply is the bare minimum and could be the root of your problems.

Mike.

The main issue with power supplies that I have seen are using the 20 to 24 pin adapters. Did your power supply come with a 20 pin ATX plug or a 24 pin ATX plug? Your power supply is the bare minimum and could be the root of your problems.

Mike.

My power supply comes with 20pin ATX plug... While my MB using 24pin.

So..... How sure are you that the PSU that causing all these problems?

Coz it would be such a waste if I buy a new PSU if it isnt the problem... :(:

My power supply comes with 20pin ATX plug... While my MB using 24pin.

So..... How sure are you that the PSU that causing all these problems?

Coz it would be such a waste if I buy a new PSU if it isnt the problem... :(:

Well, I'm not 100% certain. However, I have seen lots of posts and problems specifically about that. I understand not wanting to buy another PSU but, IMO you should buy a PSU with a 24pin plug and seperate 12v rails anyway, even if it is not THE issue here. For stability and long term usage it will be worth the money.

If you exhaust all other possibilities, I'd try the PSU. Keep in mind that you are using the smallest recommended size PSU on the 12v rail. That's like driving your car around at redline and in 1st gear.

Good luck, Mike.

Well, I'm not 100% certain. However, I have seen lots of posts and problems specifically about that. I understand not wanting to buy another PSU but, IMO you should buy a PSU with a 24pin plug and seperate 12v rails anyway, even if it is not THE issue here. For stability and long term usage it will be worth the money.

If you exhaust all other possibilities, I'd try the PSU. Keep in mind that you are using the smallest recommended size PSU on the 12v rail. That's like driving your car around at redline and in 1st gear.

Good luck, Mike.

So do you reckon dual 12V rails is better than single isn't it?

However, for seperate rails, it gives only around 18Amps each rails...

Isn't the same as my current PSU? But only mine single rail...

What do you think about having single rail with big Amps? such as more than 30Amps....

SO which one should be more stable and powerful?

Archived