Corsair Community

Cabling / Automatic control of 4 Corsair RBG case fans ?? Lost :-)

KikooLOL

Hi !

my PPP list : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/KikooLOL/saved/#view=K48ykL with :

- NZXT H200 Mini ITX Tower Case (4 case fans can be attached)

- Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

and 4 fans + Lightning Node Pro

- Corsair LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans

- Corsair LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fan

Corsair%20LL120%20RGB-600x600.jpg

I plan to replace the 2 stock case fans of the NZXT h200 by 4 Corsair RBG, but I'm not sure how the case fans cabling will be done.

I found this image on https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

smart-fan5.jpg

It says :

• - 2 Fan Pin Headers
  • - 4 Temperature Sensors
  • - All Fan Pin Headers Upgraded to Hybrid Fan Headers
  • - Interoperable Fans and Sensors
  • - Supports High Current Fans up to 24W(2AX12V) with Over-Current Protection

I understand that I will connect the 4 case fans via their RGB cable to the Lightning Node Pro.

1 - But what's the best way to connect the Lightning Node Pro to this motherboard ?

2 - What's the best way to supply power to the 4 fans, should I get a fan splitter ? a Corsair Commander Pro ? As the motherboard has two fan headers, should I plug 2 fans on each of the two fan headers ?

3 - In order to automatically set the fans speed, would it be the BIOS of the Gigabyte motherboard which would set the fans speed (using the motherboard temperature sensors or GPU sensor), or a Corsair software in Windows ?

I've seen a few diagrams on "Zotty's CORSAIR RGB Hardware and iCUE Eco-System FAQ" but I'm not sure what's relevant to me.

Thanks

1) The Lighting Node Pro would be connected to the single USB 2.0 header on that motherboard.

2) That's going to be tough. You really only have 1 usable fan header (1 is for CPU - and since it appears that you are using the stock cooler, you'll need the CPU Fan Header for that). A Commander Pro wouldn't be a bad idea - you'd need that or possibly a powered PWM Fan Hub or use the "Smart Device" that comes with the case.

3) If connected to the motherboard or a PWM hub, you'd need to use the Gigabyte BIOS. If you use a Commander Pro, you'd use iCUE. If using the "Smart Device" ... I'm not sure, exactly, how you'd control the fan speeds but the manual seems to imply that it'd be connected to a motherboard header and controlled in the BIOS.

Fantastic reply !

1 - thanks, I guess that it would be a 9-pins USB, I can see that on the motherboard picture

2 - great, I didn't think about the Ryzen 3000 series stock cooler, which indeed needs a fan header - I can see it here : [ame]

[/ame]

I think that the easiest way would be to buy a cheap 4-fans splitter, and use it on the second/last fan header.

My motherboard says "Supports High Current Fans up to 24W(2AX12V) with Over-Current Protection" and the LL120 are drawing 0.3A each, so 4 fans would draw 1.2A, which is under 2A. Correct ?

I won't plan to buy the "smart device" of the NZXT h200 case, which is called h200i when it includes the "smart device", as NZXT's smart device is already outdated.

3 - I've seen on [ame]

[/ame] that the motherboard was supporting the automatic fan speed depending of the CPU temp so I think I'll be allright :-) It's quite nice as it would work under Linux as well as it's all in the BIOS...