Corsair Community

H100iGTX + 4790k

rgp982

Hello all. I'm new to the forums as I'm generally able to figure most things out for myself with just some basic research. This one, though, has me stumped so I'm hoping the insight here can lead to the right resolution.

As the title says, I run an Intel 4790k with a H100iGTX water cooler.

The recent changes: I basically stopped gaming so I switched from Noctua industrial fans to just normal NF-A12x15 (yes, I got the slim because I wanted it to be as silent as possible). I figured since I stopped gaming it wouldn't be such a big deal but there is no way the fans are the cause of the issue in my opinion.

I ran normally at 40 degrees c at idle ( +/- ) and never really had an issue with heat. I switched out the 8 fans (3 intake at the front of the case, 4 in a push/pull configuration on the H100iGTX as intake and a single exhaust at the rear).

Did this and didn't really notice a huge difference at idle. Maybe went up 1-2 C. No big deal.

Then I noticed my RAM was running at 1333mhz instead of the 1600mhz it's rated at. I upped that to 1866mhz just to see and everything still ran fine with minimal change in temps. Just to see what would happen I raised that to 2000mhz. System wouldn't boot...no big deal. Reverted everything back and …. big deal apparently.

After that the system idle's at 85+ C and if I do something as simple as open a browser it jumps to 90+ C. The H100iGTX temps are at 60 C when the CPU is 90+.

I have re-applied thermal paste twice making sure to fully clean the previous. I have verified that the pump appears to be working as I can hear it flowing upon cold boot. It would appear that there is good contact between the H100iGTX and the CPU as there is no wiggle and if I push on it nothing changes. Nothing is hot to the touch and if I have the case with all sides on it there is only cold air being blown out.

Sigh...any suggestions on what to replace? CPU? Cooler?

Edit: Adding in that this high temps happens with default settings in BIOS as well as XMP or any other custom settings. Nothing lowers the temps.

Edited by rgp982

What does the H100i GTX temp read at idle in Link/iCUE? That is the easiest way to separate a cooler problem from everything else. Most people will have an idle coolant temp +4-7C above the room temp (or equal to case internal temp) and see load temps +6-10C above that. Anything more than 40C bears investigation. Values of 45C+ at idle means something is wrong... unless your case is 45C too.

H100iGTX in LINK claims to be 69 C right now after idle for quiet some time.

If I need to replace the CPU or the Cooler that's fine and isn't really my issue. Obviously I'd like to replace the one that is actually bad.

My main issue is that everything was working just fine until I messed with the RAM settings...and then all of a sudden the CPU and heat was out of control. Things I can't explain bother the crap out of me.

However, based on that Cooler temp would you think the cooler needs replacing? The fact that the exhaust fan is also only blowing out cool air is annoying me. NOTHING is getting hot EXCEPT the CPU.

69C?!? That would be extremely out of bounds and represent a zero flow state inside the cooler. Make sure you are looking in the cooler box. It is the one on the far right labeled H100i GTX. Also, put a hand over your exhaust. If the coolant reads 40C+ (hot) and the exhaust is cool, that means heat is not getting to the radiator fins.

http://i.imgur.com/hafc48v.png

Zero flow state. Be very careful. The cooler has no way of dumping heat and even web browsing long enough will get you into trouble. One final check: make sure the motherboard header powering the H100i GTX is set to 100%/Full Speed/Disabled or however your board displays a full 12v signal. That specific cooler gets its power from the motherboard. On a BIOS update, your fan curves reset and that pump may not start at lower than 9-10v, like on a typical DC fan curve. Fan and pump speeds would also be low if this is the current state.

Assuming the power is good, contact Corsair tech support through the ticket system to get this replaced. If you have a back-up air cooler or something else, use it. You can also so a Advanced RMA where Corsair ships you a new one on credit card hold first to cut the shipping time down. You have to specifically ask for this. Or... go shopping, but this one looks like it has had its day.

Yep, it's powered via the CPU plug and I switched it over to DC and on full speed. iCUE says the pump is flowing at 3250 RPM.

I've owned this since 2015 so ordered a CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i PRO RGB from Amazon. That looks to be the nearest new replacement for the older version I have.

Thanks for your help. Glad it's the cooler and not the CPU though as if it was the CPU I likely would have upgraded to DDR4 stuff and that would have been a lot more expensive.

OK, the pump is even a bit over-speed which happens sometimes when the flow is blocked. The GTX may still have been under warranty (5 years), but I think at this point you got a decent run from it and far better than a lot of GTX/v2 owners. The Pro series is a good replacement and I like everything about it better, including a very good reliability rate in the 18 months since launch.