Corsair Community

2 Bad VS RAM?

deveraux

I recently purchased 2 x 512MB PC3200 VS RAM for my new system. When attempting to install windows, I got random BSODs all over the place which made me run a more thorough check on the rest of my system.

I ran Prime and memtest for a short period of time (~10 mins) and Prime was ok, but memtest gave numerous errors. I only ran test #5 for memtest and also tried swapping the DIMMs around using different slots and also just using single DIMMs. One of the DIMMs seem to be much more errorneous than the other, with the more errorneous ones giving errors within 2 passes while the less errorneous DIMM giving errors within 20 passes.

I am using a DFI LanParty NF4-SLI-D mobo with no overclocking options enabled. I see here on this forum that you tend to ask people to step up the DIMM voltage. I am just wondering if doing so voids the warranty I have on these products.

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employees
Just dont go over 2.9 Volts and I would suggest you get the latest bios version and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. And getting errors with both modules might suggest some other problem, can you test them in another system?

Ok, I tried 2.80V, and it runs memtest fine for about an hour. I will leave it on overnight at the next possible moment. If it is stable, should I try 2.70V then? I presume the lower the voltage, the better it is for the RAM?

Thank you for your help.

Archived