Corsair Community

Athlon FX and CMX512R -3200LL and CMX512RE 3200PT

XtremeOC2003

Hello Ramguy, I have an SK8N an Athlon FX-51 and 2 sticks CMX512R-3200PT. I'm having major booting problems running CMX512R-3200PT in the black slots 2 and 4 with the newer updated BIOS, Asus seems to think it's memory related...I also have 1 stick of CMX512RE-3200LL What's your take with the SK8N/FX???????????? plus what's the difference between cmx512re-3200LL and cmx-512-3200PT????????? XOC

• Corsair Employees
First off CMX512R-3200PT Registered Non ECC CAS 2-3-3-6 CMX512RE-3200LL Registered With ECC Low Latency 2-3-2-6 CMX-512-3200PT Un-buffered Non ECC I would suspect that you either have a setting wrong in the bios or there is some other problem it would be hard to have 2 bad modules. I would try and load setup defaults and make sure ECC is disabled (Data Integrity Mode= Disabled) Then test with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Ram Guy

• Corsair Employees
Honestly! I have not tried it with just one module. I would say no with the 940 pin CPU. I would direct this question to AMD as the memory controller is built in to the CPU. But we have not tested with any other than Twinx sets with this combo. I would suspect the CPU as well. You may want to ask the reseller to help you test the hardware. Ram Guy

Well I think I'll buy another stick of CMX512RE-3200LL and return the 2 CMX512R-3200PT...why wouldn't 2 sticks work as well as a pair? The cpu should be fine, I can boot into WinXP fine with default BIOS settings and ran Prime95 for 10 hours last night. The problem is the BIOS settings don't work and any setting including time/date won't allow reboot... Plus I get a INI file error sometimes... a mem related clue. XOC

• Corsair Employees
First things are with this CPU you need to run a matched pair of memory. And if you mix Non ECC and ECC you would need to run the pair as if there were non-ECC and set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 and disable data integrity mode. But with this CPU they need to be installed in pairs for proper operation. Ram Guy

SO, if I pick up another stick of CMX512RE-3200LL I will have a pair...maybe not a Corsair TWINX pair, but a pair nonetheless. I never tried mixing the RAM, of course. Now as far as timings both booted up as cas3, 3,3,6... ddr333 I though they were suppose to boot at cas2, 2,2,6 ddr400?? If this ram "only" works in matched pairs why do you sell single sticks? ;) XOC

Ramguy, It's running now, but the CMX512R-3200PT just won't do ddr400. Like the Lost Circuits review said, if the sticks aren't programmed at JDEC for ddr400, manipulating the BIOS won't help...in fact at "ddr333" mine actually run at 157 (314ddr) Any ideas???? I can tell the BIOS all day long to set to ddr400, but no dice. Did you guys test this? XOC

• Corsair Employees
Well its not the memory will only work in pairs. Its dependant on the CPU and MB you use! In your case (MB/CPU) you should be running a set of modules and yes all of our XMS modules are tested in a MB at the rated speed. The timings for CMX512RE-3200LL SPD set at Cass 2-3-2-6 but tested to Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR400 and for CMX512R-3200C2 SPD set to Cass 2.5-4-4-8 and tested to Cass 2-3-3-7 but they will need to be manually set. I would ask, what are the exact settings you are using for both CPU and memory in your Bios? Ram Guy

Ram Guy, The BIOS is set to VID/FID Manual, 11 x 200 = 2200mHz, memclock manual to 400. Timings cas2, 3,6,3,10,12 But actual mem speed is quite low (ddr314) and BIOS won't reflect my BIOS change of Mem speed. Still says ddr333 dual channel at POST, and ddr314 in CPUZ 1.19a XOC

• 5 weeks later...
My guess is that an older BIOS version than the 1003 they have available now is what was getting the 333MHz speeds. I was seeing that too with a newly built SN8K system using 1024RE-3200LL sticks. I didn't check the BIOS version but XP installed real quick and was working quite well with whatever version of the BIOS the MB had prior to updating to 1003. Now, XP BSODs on me. Attempts to reinstall XP results in 0x0000007E stops or installations telling me such and such file is corrupt. This was with the default memory settings. I'm dead tired at the moment and as my last act of the night had me setting things to what should be 1024R-3200C2 stick speeds and lo and behold, XP got passed the installation issues withe 1003 BIOS. Not sure why this is going on or if it's something in the 1003 BIOS. :( Thing is, I do have a couple 1024R-3200C2 sticks I ordered prior to the 1024RE-3200LL sticks that I was about to return. Anyone know of any oddities with the SK8N 1003 BIOS and the 1024RE-3200LL sticks? Or perhaps BIOS settings I should make sure are set? Thanks. I need sleep... Hehehe. :zzzz:

• 4 weeks later...
For some reason, I can't run my 1024RE-3200LL memory at their default timings with my SK8N/FX-51 system. Even after the 1.004 FINAL BIOS update, while the system gets further along the boot process, the system is still unstable. Setting the timings to 2-3-3-6 (1024R-3200C2 like timing) gives me a stable system again. Anyone else experience this? Any possible solutions? What exactly is the performance hit between the two timings? Thanks, Dan

• Corsair Employees
We can try replacing your modules if you like. But it may not be the modules at fault if you have flashed the bios to Version 1.003 you may need to send the MB in under RMA. You can check this by checking the MAC address if it's whats listed on the label on the printer port it's probably fine. But I think you will find it's set to all 0's and that would be a problem.

Ok. I'll check that as soon as I can. I did a search for SK8N and MAC address and I do see messages from people with nForce2 and possibly nForce3 boards where the MAC address on the on-board NIC is zeroed. Having an Intel gigabit PCI NIC, I've never had to worry about the on-board NIC. I'm curious how this might affect memory timing though. Perhaps it's time to contact Asus after verifying the MAC address. Hopefully, the bios is socketed or this is field updatable. Obviously, I'd rather NOT take apart the system and send 'em the motherboard. Out of curiosity, what would be the performance difference between 2-3-2-6 and 2-3-3-6? Thanks again, Dan

• Corsair Employees
Honestly I don't know how it affects the memory but we have seen this problem with this MB in our lab and had to send the MB's back to ASUS to solve the problem. My Guess is that the Bios is not completely flashing and or some part is corrupt. But I would check the MAC address and make sure that’s not the problem.

While I couldn't find any label on the motherboard that listed the MAC address, IPCONFIG does report a valid ASUS MAC. I do have e-mail out to ASUS but it's been about 5 days and I've yet to see any response. I'm half tempted to buy another couple LL sticks and see what happens. :)

• Corsair Employees
It’s the CPU that will determine the memory speed with AMD 64 FX CPU's. And all FX CPU should be DDR400. I have no problem replacing your modules but it really sounds like some other issue. To submit a RMA, please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Before I fill out the RMA form, is there a diagnostics tool you'd recommend for FX-51 equipped systems? I've tried memtest86 but that seems to reboot the system immediately upon running. Windows Memory Diagnostics seems to indicate problems in the first DIMM regardless of which of the two pairs I stick the memory in AND if I swap the modules around including two brand new TwinX CMX512RE-3200LL sticks I bought just for test purposes. Having said that, with the brand new sticks running at the default 2-3-2-6 settings, the system appears to be stable so far. This is after some fooling around with Sandra, some Windows-based benchmarking program doing memory writes/reads and some in game time in Dark Age of Camelot. No odd OS behavior, BSODs or game freezing I experienced with the "old" LL sticks in 2-3-2-6 mode. Thanks for the responses so far. It's been great! Dan

• 3 weeks later...
After ordering another TwinX set of CMX512RE-3200LL sticks (non PT this time), replaced the memory, changed the memory timings to auto and for the past four weeks, the system has been working quite well. No system instabilities so far. Thus, I've e-mailed the RMA Request form for this other pair. Thanks for the great support! Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived