Corsair Community

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and TWINX1024-3200C2 v4.1

Racer

Hello there,

Very informative site you have here.

I just -well 3 weeks ago- bought a K8N Neo2 Platinum MB and a Winchester 3000+ CPU, and since my TWINX1024-3200C2 memory module was already listed on http://compatible.corsairmemory.com as first choice for the board I thought I'd be saved from the need to buy new RAM too.

So basically I do not get the system to start - can't even enter BIOS. More detailed descriptiopn of my problem can be found here.

My memory (TWINX1024-3200C2) spec is:_

- PART NUMBER: CMX512-3200C2

- VERSION NUMBER: v4.1

- LOT NUMBER: 0435026-3

My question is, are there any known issues with this revision (v4.1) in conjunction with MSI's K8N Neo2 Platinum?

I initially excluded a memory issue as my problem, until I RMA'd my MB to still have exactly the same problem on the new board I received...

Interestingly the memory modules work fine on my K7N2 Delta2-LSR...

I hope I have the WRONG revision number... :roll:

Have you reset the CMOS and tried booting with only 1 stick? If not it may work. Also, do you have any other DDR RAM around that you could put into the new MOBO and boot with?

Mike.

I have already tried that as already described here.

Unfortunately I do not have other spare memory to test the MB. But the fact that I get the same trouble on TWO NEW K8N Neo2 Platinum MoBos is against the odds of a MoBo issue here.

Yes i bought the matching pair or corsair memory <VS1GBKIT400> I put both in.. i have 3 dimms i put one in the first slot and the other matching ram in and tried both the 2nd and third slots..with 1 stick in the first and one in the 3rd slot my puter wont boot it does three loud consecutive peeps ....when i pull the stick out of the third or 2nd slot and leave just the one in the first slot everything is fine.

Gigabyte GA-8VT800L

P4 2.66 it runs fine with any of the sticks in the first slot only*

dimm is 400 ddr--any help would be greatly appreciatted

ty

I have already tried that as already described here.

Unfortunately I do not have other spare memory to test the MB. But the fact that I get the same trouble on TWO NEW K8N Neo2 Platinum MoBos is against the odds of a MoBo issue here.

I only now read that other thread. One person stated that the odds are against getting a bad CPU. However, the odds are even greater against getting 2 bad sticks of Corsair RAM.

I heard of a VERY odd situation recently where a person with an MSI MOBO had to flash to the latest bios to get his MOBO to run with a 3000+ CPU. So, your bios revision could be the culprit. However, this is difficult to test. Do you have a friend or a local computer shop that could help you test the RAM and/or the MOBO+CPU?

Mike.

I only now read that other thread. One person stated that the odds are against getting a bad CPU. However, the odds are even greater against getting 2 bad sticks of Corsair RAM.

I heard of a VERY odd situation recently where a person with an MSI MOBO had to flash to the latest bios to get his MOBO to run with a 3000+ CPU. So, your bios revision could be the culprit. However, this is difficult to test. Do you have a friend or a local computer shop that could help you test the RAM and/or the MOBO+CPU?

Mike.

Indeed the odds are against having a bad CPU, though I do not yet want to write it 100% off -yet. I know for a fact that my sticks *work* as I am using it -at this moment of writing- on my K7N2 Delta2-LSR. However I'm not sure if there are known issues with this stick's revision number and the MoBo.

Indeed there is a local computer shop around that could help me test the MOBO+CPU and/or the RAM I think. Problem is, as a student I look very much after my wallet and I suspect the cost of testing would not warrant the move. In other words I'd prefer to buy another system -and sell this one- rather than spend money on testing at the computer shop.

If I'm not mistaken I have seen posts stating that most small shops "should" be willing to post a MOBO for you for about $10. My money is on the bios so, perhaps they could post the MOBO and CPU for you and flash your bios. If that does not work then I'd agree not to sink any more money into it.

As far as conflicts, I have not heard of any involving your RAM and MOBO. But, I "think" it was an MSI+3000+ CPU that required a bios flash before it would run. And, this was strange as the CPU used to flash the MOBO in that case was newer/faster than the 3000+.

Good luck and I too remember guarding the wallet and its contents in school. Beer is expensive!

If I'm not mistaken I have seen posts stating that most small shops "should" be willing to post a MOBO for you for about $10. My money is on the bios so, perhaps they could post the MOBO and CPU for you and flash your bios. If that does not work then I'd agree not to sink any more money into it.

As far as conflicts, I have not heard of any involving your RAM and MOBO. But, I "think" it was an MSI+3000+ CPU that required a bios flash before it would run. And, this was strange as the CPU used to flash the MOBO in that case was newer/faster than the 3000+.

Good luck and I too remember guarding the wallet and its contents in school. Beer is expensive!

The MoBos shipped v1.4 Bios. The latest Bios is v1.5 which has just been released. But I'm sure the Bios it shipped with isn't old enough not to want to POST with these sticks.

I'd inquire about pricing for tests at the local computer store before taking the 'risk'.

Anyways, I'm keen to read what RAMGUY has to say on this, before any further action on my part.

• Corsair Employee

Let me try to simplify what I have read in your posts.

1. You have 2 different sets of modules one XMS3200C2 and one VS1GBKit400 and neither set will post on this MB! Is that correct?

2. You have tested the modules in another system and they seemt o function properly! Is that correct?

If the answer is yes to both questions, then the memory is not the problem. And I would try and RMA the MB and ask them to update it to the latest beta bios before they send it. If that does not solve the problem I would RMA the CPU.

Archived