Corsair Community

Getting new gaming mouse, advice?

Dantosh

I'm going to buy a new gaming mouse, but I have no idea where to start. So I have some questions:

-What brand would you recommend?

-Is there really a big difference between wired/wireless?

-What is DPI, is that important?

-Should I get a mousepad? (I am currently just using my wooden desk, no mouse pad. No problems so far with my current wireless laser mouse)

Thanks

https://diceus.com/hire-offshore-developers/

Edited by Dantosh

Brand: It’s a Corsair forum, they have a good rep for mice.

Wired/wireless: high end wireless mice are ok for gaming, lower end ones can suffer from input lag, unless you play fairly competitively it is unlikely you will notice anyway. Wireless also has to be charged etc obviously.

DPI: a red herring, mainly used for marketing. It basically makes the mouse more sensitive to your movements. Most modern mice go to dpi settings which no one uses (or would want to) and many competitive gamers use low dpi settings to steady their aim. What does matter is the quality of the sensor, most modern med/high end mice have great sensors.

Pad: definitely recommended, it’s a consistent surface which is designed for glide and accuracy, a bit subjective as to what pad though.

Pick a mouse you like the shape of and has the features you want, try to figure out what grip you use and your hand size then read some reviews.

On note about pads: I am still using my venerable Ratpadz GS v1. Since I don't abuse my mouse with excessive force, my Ratpadz is also not worn out, considering it's about 12 yrs old(?). The hard surface has just enough texture to track well, yet it's an effortless glide.

I've had people ask me if I would sell it, since it's in great condition and they're no longer made. :D

Also hard surface is stain proof.