Corsair Community

Corsair H100i fans run at high fan rpm when idle

melvinkoopmans

I am having issues with my Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum cooler. It's fans are running at a very high RPM (in BIOS it says 4000+ rpm) when the system is idle. It doesn't seem to be adjusting to CPU load at all, just a constant very high RPM. I tried to adjust the Q-fan curve, without effect.

The CPU itself is cooled perfectly:

Core 0: +34.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 2: +35.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 3: +35.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 4: +33.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 5: +34.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 6: +34.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 7: +35.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C

Very strange. Also, in Ubuntu it is unable to read the CPU fan speed (it is running of course):

asus-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

cpu_fan: 0 RPM

I have a dual boot so I went on Windows to see if it appeared in Corsair Link. The H100i doesn't show up, but the CPU fan reports >4000rpm again.

Any suggestions how I can troubleshoot this problem?

It doesn't seem to be adjusting to CPU load at all, just a constant very high RPM. I tried to adjust the Q-fan curve, without effect.

It's not supposed to react to CPU temperature and that is not how this or any other cooling system works. It reacts to coolant temperature. The CPU and socket pins created heat is conducted away. Coolant stream holds the heat until it can be dumped elsewhere. Hold onto to it too long and it adds a temperature penalty to the CPU, but obviously most of your CPU heat is voltage related and you can't stop the heat creation between pins and CPU. You can only keep it from being worse.

You cannot adjust the fans from within the BIOS, unless of course you plugged them into the motherboard. The BIOS has no control over the cooler. The high fan speeds suggest you may have higher than expected coolant temperature or perhaps it is having difficulties getting set up. I do not think Link will recognize the Platinum series coolers since Link was end of life 18 months ago before their release. Load into Windows and pull up Link to see what's happening. "H100i Platinum Temp" is coolant temperature. My guess is you can't see the cooler at all and Link shows nothing. You will need to uninstall it and use the iCUE that replaced it.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads

Once you are able to access the cooler with the right software, you should be able to save the fan curve you prefer to the cooler and use your normal OS without iCUE running. However, be aware since the software won't be running you must use the native temp sensor (coolant temp) as the control variable.