Corsair Community

Fans Go to 100% at 40 Degrees Coolant Temp

Daykeem

Can you list your cooler model and show us the curve? This is not typically an issue for most coolers on the custom curve. On a few, you need to move the last data point to something higher and use the next to last as your final control point.

Hello, I use the H100i v2. Please see my screenshot for my curve. As you can see, I have the last point in the curve set to 62% @ 40 degrees. The fans obey my curve until the temp reaches 40 degrees, at which point, the fans go directly to 100%.

screen.png.391d56ffebb2c5ed72df8a3e0c9707f3.png

I thought this issue had been eradicated, but try the suggestion above. Move the last dot out to 62%=50C or some other temp out of reach. Then slide all the dots up one place to maintain the existing shape. Make the penultimate dot your prior 62%=40C end point.

I think it was the remnants of a safety feature. If I set all my dots between 25-35C, then that is my expected temp range. If I am at 40C+, then I am well outside my range and something may be wrong - trigger fan response. If you keep going past your last dot, then you are trying to limit the speed rather than leave a safety margin or response. Even if you do want to keep a hard cap on speeds, I usually suggest you leave yourself a last dot out at 50-55C with a fan blast. If the cooler were to fail or flow otherwise stop functioning, you would hear the fans before you reached the thermal shutdown point and know something is wrong. How often is the coolant temp going above 40C? This should be relatively hard to do on CPU heat alone, but if you putting a lot of GPU heat into the mix plus Summer room temps, it is more probable.

That explanation makes sense, thank you. Now that you've explained why this might be happening, I actually don't mind the safety feature. But Corsair doesn't make any effort within the program to explain this "feature". I'll make your suggested adjustments.

If you click that button near my username, you'll find my full build. My 1080 TI and my 7700k are both overclocked to 2Ghz and 4.8Ghz, respectively. It does get quite hot in there. Under a sustained load, my GPU runs at 70 degrees and my CPU at bout 67 degrees. My coolant temperature will reach 40 degrees after 15 minutes of Destiny 2 (the game) play. Ambient temperature is about 20 degrees.

I am not sure it was intended to be strapped onto the custom profiles like it is on the presets. The GT/GTX/v2 coolers like yours were the ones that exhibited this behavior, although I thought a firmware correction had been made at some point. Regardless, the cooler is not defective for this reason and you need not worry. I think either way it's better to set your own "warning" with the last data point at a temperature your choose. If you live in the tropics or Summer in a lower latitude, it's not hard to get to 40C if you start at 35C. Each user needs to set their own scale based on the environment and what is appropriate in Winter may get tiring quickly in Summer.

It's hard to turn clock speeds or device temps into wattage and then air/water temp change, although I can do it with the 7700K. My expectation for your H100i v2 with a max CPU only load is about +6C. Unfortunately, for most people that scenario doesn't exist very often and you have a a lot of mixed CPU+GPU load in varying conditions. While your 7700K likely tops out around 160W maximum, the GPU will run 300-330W steady for a render or higher resolution game. That's where all your heat comes from. The trick is to determine if that heat is overly affecting the coolant temps. A normal gaming load for the CPU would be about +4C. I don't have a H500 on hand, but my recollection is that is going to be front mount only for the 240mm radiator as intake. That should prevent the coolant from being unduly affected by the GPU waste heat.

For a true 20C intake air temp from outside the case on the front, I would expect your cold boot/wake coolant temp to be around 24-26C. I would not expect gaming loads to get much beyond 30-32C. Based on your screen shot, I am guessing your average idle is more like 32-33C and then goes to 40C on load. The load part is not out of the question, but I would expect it to take a little longer than 15 minutes to get that warm.